PDA

View Full Version : Jaffe Would Have Ditched Blu-Ray

wraggster
April 12th, 2007, 21:53
via slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/12/1913203)

GameDaily is reporting on comments made by God of War designer David Jaffe. In an interview with Geoff Keighley, Jaffe has stated that he believes Blue-ray should have been removed from the PS3 so that the console could be sold at a lower price point.
"Jaffe didn't outright label it a mistake either, but he's the first Sony employee (to this editor's knowledge) to even question the need for Blu-ray. SCE Worldiwide Studios President Phil Harrison and other Sony executives have repeatedly stressed the importance of the Blu-ray format, not just as a next-gen movie format, but as a game disc format that provides game developers with plenty of storage space to build highly detailed game worlds without the need for multiple discs."

ElRazur
April 12th, 2007, 21:59
His job may now be on the line. Lol.

April 12th, 2007, 22:51
I've never liked Jaffe, he always came across as an arrogant prick in interviews and such.

Shadowblind
April 12th, 2007, 23:04
Yet the arrogant prick has a point. I'd have a PS3 right now if...ok maybe it would need to suck a little less, but I'd think about getting a PS3 if it didn't have blu-ray.

Cloudhunter
April 12th, 2007, 23:31
I think Blue-Ray is great. It allows for much more room for content, because as engines get better, so do texture sizes.

The DVD player was part of why the Playstation 2 got so much success, and the Blue-Ray will help the Playstation 3, especially as the Blue-Ray player for the Playstation 3 is alot better than the DVD player for the Playstation 2.

Cloudy

VFerg
April 13th, 2007, 23:48
I understand that it would have been a great if we could buy it later as an add on like xbox's HD DVD player but I am really happy with mine and wouldnt want my PS3 any other way. Besides theres not really any games to keep playing on it right now so seeing some really good looking movies is definetely a plus.

DPyro
April 13th, 2007, 23:54
Think 2 or 3 years down the line, Blu-ray isn't really a bad idea.

F9zDark
April 14th, 2007, 06:45
Especially considering how quickly the PC industry is evolving, which usually translates into the console industry. As long as the hardware can support it, we can have textures with huge resolutions, in the 3000s and 4000s.

And if PC Oblivion is any indication, having huge resolution textures is awesome (modder made). And these textures aren't strangers to large file sizes. While not extremely large in file size, having every texture in the game at such extreme resolutions will certainly take its toll on the storage medium.

Not to mention, a larger medium means a more interactive world, with 1000s upon 1000s of objects merely for show, many of them affected by physics.

Maybe now Blu-Ray isn't as important, but as $n!pR said, give it a few years and it will be important.