PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Console Spotted in Brazil

wraggster
April 12th, 2007, 22:03
Via Insert credit (http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001690.html)

Something I like to do in that magical time in-between quitting my job and actually leaving my job is look at stupid crap on the internet. It's harmless, zen-like fun that once in a while produces interesting finds, which I link to people on my buddy list with text like "haha this is awesome!"

One of my favorite archives of stupid crap is MercadoLivre, the Brazilian online auction site that is now affiliated with eBay. I like to look at their video games section because, as it turns out, I enjoy video games. A lot of the games stuff is imported from America, and that's boring. But there's some neat bootleggy crap too, and that's where the fun is!

Today I discovered, via several MercadoLivre merchants, that the Phantom System is easily available in Brazil! You may remember the Phantom home console, the pay-to-download streaming game console ready for launch since about 2003. I was about to link you to WhereIsPhantom.com, which was a pretty awesome blog for awesome Phantom and Infinium Labs news, but it's dead, and the domain forwards to an advertising portal now. I am sad, as indicated with the following emoticon:

:(

Anyway. The Phantom may be hilarious vaporware in the United States, but it's enjoying healthy sales in Brazil, and if you'd like one, MercadoLivre has you covered. Here is a close-up photograph to study before making your purchasing decision. As you can see, they've abandoned the pay-to-download service for the Brazilian market, and have instead opted for a cartridge-based interface. Currently available titles include Galaga and Falling Block Game. The Phantom comes with one controller, which looks a bit awkward, though I do admire Phantom System's innovation in design.

With its high level of software piracy, Brazil seems an odd choice for a test market. But given Phantom's history, nothing surprises me anymore. Godspeed, Phantom System!

JKKDARK
April 12th, 2007, 23:29
Never saw the Phantom on my shops

jmendes
April 13th, 2007, 00:37
Just to clarify a few things since this post from "insert credit" is a little misleading:
I did not check MercadoLivre but the REAL Phantom System is not a piece of crap. I had one about 15 years ago. Actually itīs just the 8-bit NES system that got a redesign and a new name to be sold here in the early 90īs. Maybe there is another thing called phantom system there, idk.

Shoometsu
April 14th, 2007, 00:53
the brazilian Phantom System was another NES clone wich was lauched in the end of 80's ~ beginning of the 90's by Gradiente, wich was also the official Nintendo commercial representative in Brazil in the 90's, like Tec Toy was to Sega. It's a very old console, and don't have anything relationed to this other console lauched in 2003 that InsertCredit is mentioning. In fact, it was the first NES platform that I played in my life (I was about 10 years old when I played it).