PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Sony You do get some things right

wraggster
April 13th, 2007, 01:18
Yesterday i recieved my PS3 in the post and thankfully no customs charges, buying a 20GB from SuccessHK (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Playstation_3_Sony_Playstation_3_20GB_Japanese_Ver sion.html?aff_id=24) cost me with delivery around £275 a saving of £150 on UK Prices. Yes its a 20GB but ut has the emotion engine built in.

With the PSP and PS3 Sony are getting some stick but lets be fair, they are both great consoles and for homebrewers one already is a Dream console and the other should be too at some stage.

One thing to be thankful for is Region Free gaming, in a world like today where boundarys mean nothing via the Net, its great to see a company go the region free route.

Universal Power supplys, how sweet it is to get a console from Japan and plug it straight into my power supply in the UK, major points scored there.

Graphics to die for. The PSP and PS3 are capable of graphics so advanced in the handheld and console market that they simply slaughter for graphics all the competition.

Movie Playback - With Blueray and UMD Films both the PSP and PS3 lead their respective areas. I dont care what anyone says watching a UMD in full stereo when your on a bus etc or watching a film in HD kicks ass.

Finally the PSP has turned out to be the homebrew sensation of the last few years, it has catapulted homebrew into main stream status with sites like IGN even reporting on homebrew. The PS3 could be the greatest non handheld for homebrew since the excellent Dreamcast.

Support DCEmu UK & DIGG THIS

http://digg.com/gaming_news/What_Sony_Got_Right_With_PSP_and_PS3

Do you agree or disagree with me, let me know via comments

sfaok
April 13th, 2007, 01:41
Hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news but I wouldn't count on being in the clear just yet with regards to the customs charge.

To expediate shipping, delivery services like DHL etc. pay the customs charge on the spot and bill you later a few months down the line.

Happened to me twice with my 1.50 psp and my vision m mp3 player.

joshisposer
April 13th, 2007, 02:18
Don't forget the Blu-Ray is growing. I mean, right now they are using max of like 50 gigs. It can go up to 200 gigs with technology right now!

Buddy4point0
April 13th, 2007, 02:22
sweet i might buy 1 now

felonyr301
April 13th, 2007, 02:25
The 20 gig ps3 is discontinued as of today!!

SnesR0X
April 13th, 2007, 02:39
non in japan:)

FrostyTheSnowman
April 13th, 2007, 02:49
The PS3 could be the greatest non handheld for homebrew since the excellent Dreamcast.[/B]

What?! Have you even looked at the original XBOX homebrew scene??

The Dreamcast was definately a great system, but i'm sorry... the original XBOX just SLAUGHTERS it in the homebrew department. Neither the PSP nor the Dreamcast can even touch the original XBOX in terms of homebrew.

So yeah, I disagree with that comment. ;)

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2007, 02:55
What?! Have you even looked at the original XBOX homebrew scene??

The Dreamcast was definately a great system, but i'm sorry... the original XBOX just SLAUGHTERS it in the homebrew department. Neither the PSP nor the Dreamcast can even touch the original XBOX in terms of homebrew.

So yeah, I disagree with that comment. ;)

Most of the homebrew emulators for Xbox are illegal, because you need the hacked SDK.

Kamon
April 13th, 2007, 03:07
Yes its a 20GB but ut has the emotion engine built in.

[/B]

but does it support pal and ntsc ps2 games?

bm4n
April 13th, 2007, 03:12
Most of the homebrew emulators for Xbox are illegal, because you need the hacked SDK.

And that's stopped who in the past? Who says you won't need the PS3 SDK to run homebrew in the future?

I'm sorry Wraggster, I usually like your point of views but this post is all wrong. Blu-ray will die soon. Its useless. And I doubt the homebrew scene will ever really develop on the PS3. The thing is since you can install linux on it without modding most people will do that. Once you do that you have barely any access to system resources and stuff in regards to graphics, etc. so developers probably won't bother. I could be discustingly wrong but in the mean time I'll stick with my original Xbox and my PSP. Also, just because $ony did some things right in the PS3 (no region coding) doesn't make them any less of douchebags for still locking the PSP stuff.

The End.

quzar
April 13th, 2007, 03:20
Seeing as it won't play your PAL DVDs, you don't own any BluRay movies, and you don't own any games for it, I don't see where all this is coming from =P.

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2007, 03:21
And that's stopped who in the past? Who says you won't need the PS3 SDK to run homebrew in the future?

so? I'm talking about the Xbox, not the PS3. Another user said Xbox homebrew is better than the Dreamcast homebrew, which is wrong.

cashboxz02
April 13th, 2007, 03:46
Damn. I didnt know this site had a kuss word filter.

FrostyTheSnowman
April 13th, 2007, 04:30
so? I'm talking about the Xbox, not the PS3. Another user said Xbox homebrew is better than the Dreamcast homebrew, which is wrong.

Umm... riiight. XBOX runs circles around the Dreamcast, legality has NOTHING to do with it. Emulation is barely legal as it is anyway.

Yet again JKKDARK proves he knows nothing about emulation, just like he does over at NGEmu.com... and even when it is blatantly obvious that someone else is right, he just plays the denial card, also like what he does over at NGEmu.com. :rofl:

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2007, 04:47
Umm... riiight. XBOX runs circles around the Dreamcast, legality has NOTHING to do with it. Emulation is barely legal as it is anyway.

Yet again JKKDARK proves he knows nothing about emulation, just like he does over at NGEmu.com... and even when it is blatantly obvious that someone else is right, he just plays the denial card, also like what he does over at NGEmu.com. :rofl:
You need the hacked SDK for pcsxbox, so legally there are not PSX emulators for Xbox http://209.85.12.234/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

quzar
April 13th, 2007, 05:04

Emulation on the Dreamcast (with the exception of 3 or four specific emulators) and emulation in general is 100% legal. You are most certainly the one who does not know what they are talking about. Legality has EVERYTHING to do with it. That's why you won't find any material on xbox emulators on this site (except for the small fraction that use the opensdk).

Softmodding is perfectly legal, as is adding a modchip or whatnot, but 99% of all "homebrew" for the xbox is illegal, plain and simple.

jonezybaby
April 13th, 2007, 06:14
but does it support pal and ntsc ps2 games?

well as the 20gb model was not released in europe, pal games wood be unsupported.

bm4n
April 13th, 2007, 06:18
The point on the Xbox is that it is incredibly easy to do...My point is that if you want to run homebrew the law's not gonna stop you. Do you know it is legal to install DAs firmware on your PSP? If you found out it was illegal would you not? I thought not. On the original Xbox you have a big ol' (easily upgradeable) hard drive that you can load with emulators and games and load instantly. No dream cast boot discs to work with, you just FTP files over and your in. Brilliant and revolutionary. And the best. The End.

FrostyTheSnowman
April 13th, 2007, 06:18
Legality really does have nothing to do with it. Just because emulation is not legal on the XBOX does not mean that it is an inferior homebrew system.

The Dreamcast is inferior in hardware, AND in what is available for homebrew on that platform versus the XBOX. Legality has nothing to do with which system is the superior homebrew system.

Example 1: SNES emulation on the Dreamcast is still not anywhere near playable on a good amount of games, whereas those same games run PERFECT on the XBOX, WITH filtering and HDTV resolutions.

Example 2: N64 emulation on the Dreamcast is non-existant. N64 emulation on the XBOX is full speed with most games, and supports 4 players, including Mempaks and Rumblepaks.

Example 3: PSX emulation on the Dreamcast was limited to less than 5 games, and it was only available commercially. PSX emulation on the XBOX is full-speed, and can play most PSX games easily, WITH filtering.

Example 4: Linux is limited to command-line on the Dreamcast, and serves little purpose. Linux on the XBOX comes in almost 10 different flavors, and all are full featured operating systems.

Dreamcast can't touch the XBOX on homebrew. End of story.

quzar
April 13th, 2007, 06:35
Legality really does have nothing to do with it. Just because emulation is not legal on the XBOX does not mean that it is an inferior homebrew system.

The Dreamcast is inferior in hardware, AND in what is available for homebrew on that platform versus the XBOX. Legality has nothing to do with which system is the superior homebrew system.

Easy example: SNES emulation on the Dreamcast is still not anywhere near playable on a good amount of games, whereas those same games run PERFECT on the XBOX, WITH filtering and HDTV resolutions.

There is no way to argue this with you because you simply have a completely opposing view. However, I will add, it is important to note that most emulatior and homebrew authors are or aspire to be professional programmers, and all of the top ones maintain 100% legality in all their works because they can use it to reflect well on them in the real world.

The only emulators you ever see on the xbox all have the same boilerplate interface and are direct ports of the PC version. I wonder why?

You might want to look up NesterDC SE some time. It's the more recent NES emulator for the Dreamcast and not only has an amazing interface, but is THE MOST compatible NES emulator on any platform (including PC).

In the end, the Dreamcast still has more systems emulated on it than the XBOX, is cheaper, is more availible, has more actual homebrew games, and has a large legal scene; all of which the xbox will never be able to boast.

FrostyTheSnowman
April 13th, 2007, 07:13
Fine, I guess I concede. You go enjoy your 'legal' SNES/NES/old school emulators on the Dreamcast, and i'm gonna go hit up some 4-player GoldenEye with my friends on my illegal XBOX. :D

bm4n
April 13th, 2007, 08:34

Example 1: SNES emulation on the Dreamcast is still not anywhere near playable on a good amount of games, whereas those same games run PERFECT on the XBOX, WITH filtering and HDTV resolutions.

Example 2: N64 emulation on the Dreamcast is non-existant. N64 emulation on the XBOX is full speed with most games, and supports 4 players, including Mempaks and Rumblepaks.

Example 3: PSX emulation on the Dreamcast was limited to less than 5 games, and it was only available commercially. PSX emulation on the XBOX is full-speed, and can play most PSX games easily, WITH filtering.

Example 4: Linux is limited to command-line on the Dreamcast, and serves little purpose. Linux on the XBOX comes in almost 10 different flavors, and all are full featured operating systems.

Well said. We Xbox modders on these boards seem to be few and far between...I have been modding boxes for like 2 or 3 or w/e years now and I love all my Xboxes used for different purposes...What a brilliantly diverse machine.

MZeroEW2
April 13th, 2007, 10:28
why in the hell did this thread get on the subject of whats better Xbox or dreamcast. it doesn't matter

PLEASE GET OVER YOURSELVES

Baboon
April 13th, 2007, 10:58
Just to jump on the band wagon (although slightly off topic for this thread)... as much as I love my DC and PSP...emulation on the xbox totaly kicks ass! :)

One thing to be thankful for is Region Free gaming, in a world like today where boundarys mean nothing via the Net, its great to see a company go the region free route.

Region free gaming is cool but then on the other hand $ony try to restrict importers from getting the latest games (also at the best prices) by closing down sites like Lik Sang! ...doh! :(

DarthPaul
April 13th, 2007, 11:22

I'm sorry Wraggster, I usually like your point of views but this post is all wrong. Blu-ray will die soon. Its useless. And I doubt the homebrew scene will ever really develop on the PS3. The thing is since you can install linux on it without modding most people will do that. Once you do that you have barely any access to system resources and stuff in regards to graphics, etc. so developers probably won't bother. I could be discustingly wrong but in the mean time I'll stick with my original Xbox and my PSP. Also, just because $ony did some things right in the PS3 (no region coding) doesn't make them any less of douchebags for still locking the PSP stuff.

The End.

You'll stick with your X-Box and PSP? So that means that you buy systems only thinking in homebrew? If you want to see the true power or true potential of any console..the homebrew is not the right way. I'm sorry to say that you're a F-R-O-O-B.
And I agree with this. The PSP and the PS3 are the most powerful systems on the market. The PSP is the most powerful hand-held and the PS3 the most powerful home console. And what's the problem? Developers aren't concentrating on the system they're working with,they're not reaching the limits. The PS3 can do a lot more than what we're seeing to date. Just let's give some time and let the developers and games role. We'll see what system is the real deal. And think about this..If the X-box 360 has more sales than the PS3 is because it came to the market months before than the PS3. And why is the Wii selling more than both? Because it's the cheaper one,and the majority of the gamers are kids. So the parents are buying Wii's to their kiddies. And the same goes to the DS,parents buying DS's to their pussies..I mean their kiddies.

Triv1um
April 13th, 2007, 11:29
I'm sorry to say that you're a F-R-O-O-B.

Haha, awesome.

And i read somewere that blu-ray will die.
No it wont, it is revolutionary, it is obsolite to everything else at the moment. When something better comes out (it will be a while) then it will slowly fade out. Much like the old DVD and VCR wars.

The Hombrew Hunter
April 13th, 2007, 12:29
Darth Paul, your post is 10% true, 90% $ony Fanboy.

The DS isn't being enjoyed by only kids. No one who walks in a Wal Mart to buy something (Where most of these consoles ARE sold,) will know JACK SHIT about PSP homebrew. What do they do? They enjoy the commercial DS, which is NOT failing commercially, like the PSP.

Also, the Wii isn't just selling to parents buying things for their kids. It's selling because of it's innovative controls, fun games, and partially because of the Nintendo Fanbase.

Triv1um, there is one thing in your post that is correct.

Blu Ray is obsolete

That's essentially what you just said in your post.

White_Hawk_UK
April 13th, 2007, 13:41
Quite beside the topic actually being discussed, I thought I'd mention that I thought I'd got away without customs charges when I ordered a PSP from Hong Kong a while back. About a month later, I was sent an invoice for the amount that DHL had to pay at customs.

As they didn't bother informing me upon delivery, and the amount they are attempting to charge me is based on a value I never paid (I got an excellent deal on the exchange), the invoice is still sitting on my desk at home. I would have been happy to pay import duty, but as they're attempting to charge me an administration fee on top of tax based on an overblown exchange rate, and their communication was unduly urgent ("IMMEDIATE PAYMENT REQUIRED"), I'll be happy to let them swing in the wind indefinitely.

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2007, 13:41

Then can you explain me perfectly why there's a Saturn emulator on Dreamcast running commercial games and there isn't one for Xbox?

White_Hawk_UK
April 13th, 2007, 14:48
...because nobody has bothered to write one, perhaps? :P

I'm confused by the statement that emulation is illegal on the XBox - I had no idea that legislation was so product-specific. How on Earth do they enforce that?

Panini
April 13th, 2007, 15:10
Then can you explain me perfectly why there's a Saturn emulator on Dreamcast running commercial games and there isn't one for Xbox?

Saturn emualtion isnt great on a PC so I doubt it is even playable on a Dreamcast? I could be wrong tho.

Its cool that there is an saturn emu being worked on sill though for the dreamcastt.

JKKDARK
April 13th, 2007, 15:13
Saturn emualtion isnt great on a PC so I doubt it is even playable on a Dreamcast? I could be wrong tho.

Its cool that there is an saturn emu being worked on sill though for the dreamcastt.

Saturn emulation on PC is awesome if you have at least a SSE2 computer. Most of the games are playable with normal speed. Just try SSF, the best emulator.
Yabause DC is the only Saturn emulator for Dreamcast, you can run various commercial games but with slow speed. Last version was in december '06

quzar
April 13th, 2007, 16:56
...because nobody has bothered to write one, perhaps? :P

I'm confused by the statement that emulation is illegal on the XBox - I had no idea that legislation was so product-specific. How on Earth do they enforce that?

Oh, it doesn't have to do with the xbox, there are a few illegal emulators on other systems. The reason there are illegal emulators on the xbox is that people stole microsoft's official development kit for it and are using it without license, which is what makes it illegal, not the fact that it's homebrew or the fact that they are emulators.

FrostyTheSnowman
April 13th, 2007, 17:07

Because the Sega Saturn and the Sega Dreamcast have similar hardware, so emulation probably isn't extremely difficult, whereas the XBOX is a totally different architecture and probably couldn't handle emulating the Saturn at full speed. The Saturn is a very complex machine.

Oh, and also because no one has made one. But, one incomplete emulator the Dreamcast has that the XBOX doesn't does not make it a better homebrew system.

JKKDARK, you are just being a fanboy now. I admit that I love the XBOX, but I also love my PSP, my PS2, my XBOX 360, and my Nintendo Wii too, but I also know that none of those systems can do what the XBOX can in terms of homebrew. The only reason I am defending the XBOX is because, all legality aside, IT IS THE SUPERIOR HOMEBREW CONSOLE.

quzar
April 13th, 2007, 17:13
JKKDARK, you are just being a fanboy now. I admit that I love the XBOX, but I also love my PSP, my PS2, my XBOX 360, and my Nintendo Wii too, but I also know that none of those systems can do what the XBOX can in terms of homebrew. The only reason I am defending the XBOX is because, all legality aside, IT IS THE SUPERIOR HOMEBREW CONSOLE.

Wow, you've swayed me, where can I get some of this excellent homebrew? Oh wait, that's right, you can't post about it here because if you did, it would be deleted and you would get an infraction.

qskint
April 13th, 2007, 17:30
nice price although a couple of things you have to consider.
although the games are multi region, Blue Ray discs/player arn't on the ps3 so you will still have to import them.
also you will only be able to play on servers (and from what i gather connect to the net) in the country the ps3 is from, so major lag.

having said that great price for people JUST wanting to be playing ps3 games.

mungrin
April 13th, 2007, 17:44

The End.

i have to compeletly agree.You hit it on the head wit hthat post.I dont see anyything so great that Sony has done.Just about any game for PS3 so far,i can can a better version of it for XBOX 360.Blueray is as good as a UMD movie in my opinion,useless.Remember,movies are not filmed in HD so Blueray movies are not that much better looking than DVDs.I will stick with my upconverter DVD player,Xbox and PSP for homebrew thank you.
PS3 kinda reminds me of 3DO.

wiredforpower
April 13th, 2007, 17:47
I love the concept of the PS3, but I dont think its quite ready for everyone to own like the PS2 is.

Personally my next console purchase will still be a 360.

bm4n
April 13th, 2007, 19:08
You'll stick with your X-Box and PSP? So that means that you buy systems only thinking in homebrew? If you want to see the true power or true potential of any console..the homebrew is not the right way. I'm sorry to say that you're a F-R-O-O-B.
And I agree with this. The PSP and the PS3 are the most powerful systems on the market. The PSP is the most powerful hand-held and the PS3 the most powerful home console. And what's the problem? Developers aren't concentrating on the system they're working with,they're not reaching the limits. The PS3 can do a lot more than what we're seeing to date. Just let's give some time and let the developers and games role. We'll see what system is the real deal. And think about this..If the X-box 360 has more sales than the PS3 is because it came to the market months before than the PS3. And why is the Wii selling more than both? Because it's the cheaper one,and the majority of the gamers are kids. So the parents are buying Wii's to their kiddies. And the same goes to the DS,parents buying DS's to their pussies..I mean their kiddies.

I was arguing homebrew because the topic was raised. I choose my Xbox 360 over a PS3 because it has games that don't suck and an amazing online system. $ony's online is laughable at best and can quite adequately be described as balls. The PS3 will only ever have one exclusive title (see sig) and that is debatable at this point. And Blu-ray is more expensive than HD DVD and sucks harder (all optical media sucks). I am not a fanboy, I am a freeloader. Whoever has the best hardware is the company I will back. I wish the PS3 didn't suck, I'd have a reason to open the one that's been sitting in my closet since launch day that I bought to sell. Heh. The End.

P.S. Anybody wanna buy a PS3?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and...wow. The DS has some awesome games and an awesome homebrew scene you close minded "froob". And the Wii is selling more because its cheap and FUN. What's that? Well it's what games were designed to be, enjoy feeling cool and elite on your PS3. The majority of gamers are over 18 which is technically an adult. The rest of your post isn't even worth my time. Quit being a pathetic fan boy, kthxbye

DarthPaul
April 13th, 2007, 19:26
I was arguing homebrew because the topic was raised. I choose my Xbox 360 over a PS3 because it has games that don't suck and an amazing online system. $ony's online is laughable at best and can quite adequately be described as balls. The PS3 will only ever have one exclusive title (see sig) and that is debatable at this point. And Blu-ray is more expensive than HD DVD and sucks harder (all optical media sucks). I am not a fanboy, I am a freeloader. Whoever has the best hardware is the company I will back. I wish the PS3 didn't suck, I'd have a reason to open the one that's been sitting in my closet since launch day that I bought to sell. Heh. The End.

P.S. Anybody wanna buy a PS3?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and...wow. The DS has some awesome games and an awesome homebrew scene you close minded "froob". And the Wii is selling more because its cheap and FUN. What's that? Well it's what games were designed to be, enjoy feeling cool and elite on your PS3. The majority of gamers are over 18 which is technically an adult. The rest of your post isn't even worth my time. Quit being a pathetic fan boy, kthxbye

So finally...I was waiting fot this,I was waiting for someone to call me "Sony Fanboy". You know what a fan is,right? And do you know who I am? I'm someone who likes good things. I'm a fan of good things. And Sony,PSP,PS3 are some of them.

bm4n
April 14th, 2007, 01:26
Name one positive thing the PS3 can do in terms of GAMES. Yeah, consoles were originally designed to play those! Oh wow, you can browse the internet and install linux!!1oneoe. Good trade off for the worst online gaming experience you can get and crappy games. Not.

White_Hawk_UK
April 14th, 2007, 02:54
sfaok^ - precisely why I mention my precautionary tale. I really should deal with DHL's much-delayed invoice some time...

Joe88
April 14th, 2007, 06:51
Name one positive thing the PS3 can do in terms of GAMES. Yeah, consoles were originally designed to play those! Oh wow, you can browse the internet and install linux!!1oneoe. Good trade off for the worst online gaming experience you can get and crappy games. Not.

besides having a 8-core CPU and a blu-ray drive built in
its a true muti-media machine

worst online ?
stop playing on the EA servers
sony is working on the online now
bringing "SONY HOME" online community

and in an earlier you said it doesnt have any exclusives ?
um ...
God of War III , Final Fantasy XIII , Liar , Eight Days ,
Ratched and Clank 5 , Kingdom Hearts 3 , Metal Gear Solid 4 ! , Killzone 2 , new Jax and Daxter , new Sly Copper , Gran Turismo 5 , Katamari Damacy 3 ? , and a few others

sappo
April 14th, 2007, 16:50
Until now I only see things like this in the game line for PS3:

Oblivion: Already out on XBOX360, also, it's better on the X360.
Virtua Tennis 3: Out on X360 in a while.
Virtua Fighter 5: Same.
GTA IV: Will also go on X360.

And thinkin of other games, that were exclusives, like GTA IV and Devil May Cry, I can only think that Sony will steadily lose every exclusive.

Why bother buying a 600$ console when you can buy an X360 which has the same graphics, modchips for those that like these things, and for only half of the price of PS3?

People, if you really need to waste 600$, do something right, and buy a Wii and a X360.

JKKDARK
April 14th, 2007, 16:52
Ratched and Clank 5 , Kingdom Hearts 3 , Metal Gear Solid 4 ! , Killzone 2 , new Jax and Daxter , new Sly Copper , Gran Turismo 5 , Katamari Damacy 3 ? , and a few others

aquare-enix still didn't say FFXIII will be an exclusive PS3 title. And there are other games like god of war 3 which wasn't announced.

Baboon
April 14th, 2007, 16:59
um ...

I havent got a 360 but I'd take a new HD version of Forza Motorsport anytime over Gran Turismo 5! ...I like having the ability to write my cars off! lol :D

F9zDark
April 14th, 2007, 17:04
Until now I only see things like this in the game line for PS3:

Oblivion: Already out on XBOX360, also, it's better on the X360.

Oblivion has been out for the PC the same time as the 360 and its a million times better than the Xbox version. Why? User made mods. Something not possible on 360. But Sony would love to have user made mods on some games, for instance the next UT game will support 3rd party mods on the PS3 version, but no the Xbox version.

And besides, how is it better on the Xbox360 compared to the PS3? Its the same exact game... PC is understandable, the millions of mods available that make Oblivion actually fun to play or improve the graphics or make the world appear more alive (like Realistic Weather, Texian's Lighting System or Illumination Within - the latter two making it so that building's windows are lit up at night, looking more realistic).

Give me one shred of factual evidence that supports your claim that Oblivion is better on 360 than it is on PS3? If it wasn't for the PS3 version Bethesda wouldn't have introduced the better shaders to make the distant mountains and landscape look nicer. So in that regard the PS3 version, to me, is better than the 360 version.

Basil Zero
April 14th, 2007, 19:15
Yes, I am glad that the 20gb model is discontinued, nobody was buying it so..it was pointless

I'm still planning to buy a ps3 sometime in 2008.

bm4n
April 14th, 2007, 19:30
besides having a 8-core CPU and a blu-ray drive built in
its a true muti-media machine

worst online ?
stop playing on the EA servers
sony is working on the online now
bringing "SONY HOME" online community

um ...

AAHHAAAAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHA
AHHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA
HAHAHAahhahaaahahahaaaa
hahahahahah
ahahaha
ha
whew...

Wow.
8 core with blu ray...hmm...that only HURTS developers. Go read what John Carmack had to say about developing for the system. And hey, how about this: centralized servers that NEVER suck? Full voice communication in EVERY single game with EVERY single player? Cross game friends lists/invites/chats? And WTFrick is HOME? Some poor excuse for an online store? Go spend ten minutes in an Xbox 360 dashboard before you run your mouth off.

And I'm aware of those "exclusive" games. Most of them will end up being multiplatform. And most of them suck. I've said here time and time again that the only decent game they will ever be is MGS4 (which will eclipse decent and probably be the best game ever) and again there are lots of rumors that Konami will make it multi-platform...I pray every day that they will because I will buy a $700 system for Metal Gear Solid.

Joe88
April 14th, 2007, 22:26
I havent got a 360 but I'd take a new HD version of Forza Motorsport anytime over Gran Turismo 5! ...I like having the ability to write my cars off! lol :D

we have more cars >:D
WAY MORE !
GT4 had over 700 cars
from all over the world
it even had the ford model T ...

where forza only features exotic cars :/

as far as the 360 is, it cant achieve full HD, only 720p atm
the new black elite version though
prepare to fork out another $480, and still no HD-DVD drive included

and F9zDark your right
the PS3 ver of oblivion is much more smother gfx wise
but not the point anyway since I have the PC ver
also Morrowind > Oblivion :D

aquare-enix still didn't say FFXIII will be an exclusive PS3 title. And there are other games like god of war 3 which wasn't announced.

FFXIII and FFXIII verses have been announced for the PS3
and you know GoW III is coming ;)
GoW II ended just saying "the end begins"
I cant wait for it
it just amazing what they did with the game on the PS2, the PS3 ver is going to be ...
we will just wait and see

AAHHAAAAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHA
AHHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA
HAHAHAahhahaaahahahaaaa
hahahahahah
ahahaha
ha
whew...

Wow.
8 core with blu ray...hmm...that only HURTS developers. Go read what John Carmack had to say about developing for the system. And hey, how about this: centralized servers that NEVER suck? Full voice communication in EVERY single game with EVERY single player? Cross game friends lists/invites/chats? And WTFrick is HOME? Some poor excuse for an online store? Go spend ten minutes in an Xbox 360 dashboard before you run your mouth off.

And I'm aware of those "exclusive" games. Most of them will end up being multiplatform. And most of them suck. I've said here time and time again that the only decent game they will ever be is MGS4 (which will eclipse decent and probably be the best game ever) and again there are lots of rumors that Konami will make it multi-platform...I pray every day that they will because I will buy a $700 system for Metal Gear Solid.
he also went into great deatil on how the 360 would be a pain to develope for also
as much as the guy is famous, he doesnt really know what goes on behind the curtains
that is nothing but his overview of the sitiuation

next sony actually can do good online, ive played on their servers on a few games, after going from EA servers, sony isnt in full control
their new service "SONY HOME" will finally get the servers run by sony
its a cross between Mii, and xbox live, and the sims bascially
now as far as that goes, I dont know
just have to wait till it released ...

the system is $600 not $700

and finally, hideo kijima said himself that MGS4 would not be going to the 360, he said it just isnt powerfull enough to do what he wants to do, he wants to use all those CPU cores, to control everything in the game, the blu-ray he wants also, he said MGS4 will use a blu-ray DL 50GB and even might a second one , just because some xbox fanboy spread a rumor in november that mircrosoft was buying konami, doesnt make it true
he discredited all rumors about the buy out saying it was not true
the 360 will however receive remakes/ports of the past 3 MGS games
so basically expect the twin snakes, MGS2 substance (which is already out on the xbox) and a port of MGS3 substaince

for the rest of the games, sony owns most the company's
polyphony digital , insomniac games, and the GoW franchise

and the exclusive 360 games are impressive ?
besides gears of war 2 and halo 3 and muti-system gagames
what else is there ?

bm4n
April 14th, 2007, 22:54
we have more cars >:D
WAY MORE !
GT4 had over 700 cars
from all over the world
it even had the ford model T ...

where forza only features exotic cars :/

as far as the 360 is, it cant achieve full HD, only 720p atm
the new black elite version though
prepare to fork out another $480, and still no HD-DVD drive included

and F9zDark your right
the PS3 ver of oblivion is much more smother gfx wise
but not the point anyway since I have the PC ver
also Morrowind > Oblivion :D

FFXIII and FFXIII verses have been announced for the PS3
and you know GoW III is coming ;)
GoW II ended just saying "the end begins"
I cant wait for it
it just amazing what they did with the game on the PS2, the PS3 ver is going to be ...
we will just wait and see

he also went into great deatil on how the 360 would be a pain to develope for also
as much as the guy is famous, he doesnt really know what goes on behind the curtains
that is nothing but his overview of the sitiuation

next sony actually can do good online, ive played on their servers on a few games, after going from EA servers, sony isnt in full control
their new service "SONY HOME" will finally get the servers run by sony
its a cross between Mii, and xbox live, and the sims bascially
now as far as that goes, I dont know
just have to wait till it released ...

the system is $600 not $700

and finally, hideo kijima said himself that MGS4 would not be going to the 360, he said it just isnt powerfull enough to do what he wants to do, he wants to use all those CPU cores, to control everything in the game, the blu-ray he wants also, he said MGS4 will use a blu-ray DL 50GB and even might a second one , just because some xbox fanboy spread a rumor in november that mircrosoft was buying konami, doesnt make it true
he discredited all rumors about the buy out saying it was not true
the 360 will however receive remakes/ports of the past 3 MGS games
so basically expect the twin snakes, MGS2 substance (which is already out on the xbox) and a port of MGS3 substaince

for the rest of the games, sony owns most the company's
polyphony digital , insomniac games, and the GoW franchise

and the exclusive 360 games are impressive ?
besides gears of war 2 and halo 3 and muti-system gagames
what else is there ?

Thank you for an intelligent response, they really seem few and far between on these boards. I have heard from more developers than just Carmack that the 360 is the easiest platform to develop for, including PCs. I have also heard that the way the PS3 handles memory and barely gives any control of it to developers is a huge pain and makes games for less powerful...as an example any multiplatform game out right now looks better and runs smoother than the PS3 counterparts (but again that could change...). $ony is at right now with their online service some point where M$ was BEFORE launching Live. It took M$ years and years to perfect their service and I see the $ony system becoming non-suck in the future and some point, but probably on the PS4. As for MGS4, I doubt that it will take up 50Gb but if anyone could do it Kojima-San could (hello hundreds of hours of cut-scenes =) ) And I have not heard any rumors of M$ acquiring Konami and don't really believe that could happen but Konami is a publisher to make money and if anyone can force a game multi-platform its them. In terms of pure hardware and processing power the 360 and PS3 are pretty much equal, each having their own ups and downs pretty much putting them on the same plane (once again, something I have heard from more than one developer). The only thing that would make the game difficult would be if he fills up a 50Gb disc with cutscenes and even then I'd pay a hundred bucks for a 15 DVD game if it came down to it (and that would be hilarious, a 15 DVD game, hahaaa).

So uhh the end.

P.S. Since a recent dashboard update the Xbox 360 is more than capable of outputting in 1080p via component cables and when the elite comes out via hdmi for those that get it.

NeoTechni
April 15th, 2007, 09:25
Darth Paul, your post is 10% true, 90% $ony Fanboy.

They enjoy the commercial DS, which is NOT failing commercially, like the PSP.

Your post is 0% true, 100% moron.

PSP is NOT failing commercially. 25 million sales is not a failure.

aquare-enix still didn't say FFXIII will be an exclusive PS3 title.

Yes they have, they even said it won't fit on DVD

8 core with blu ray...hmm...that only HURTS developers.

Funny, all the PS3 developers say otherwise.

Go spend ten minutes in an Xbox 360 dashboard before you run your mouth off.

You mean that laggy interface, where options are hidden under multiple layers of menus.

Unlike PS3s interface which works faster, has all it's settings under settings rather than spreading them around, and only one layer of menus

Im sorry but I find the 360's blade system to be slow, convoluted, and messy. It has ads for christs sakes.

I have heard from more developers than just Carmack that the 360 is the easiest platform to develop for, including PCs

Wrong, he specifically said PC was easiest.

I have also heard that the way the PS3 handles memory and barely gives any control of it to developers is a huge pain and makes games for less powerful

You heard incorrectly

http://www.ps3blog.net/2007/04/12/insomniac-interview-part-ii/

The PS3 has 256MB of fast video RAM and 256MB of normal RAM. But I?ve heard that all memory can be used either by the Cell or the GPU anyway. Is this split an issue? Does it hinder or help? Would a unified memory architecture have been better? Do you have any clarifying comments about that?

Al Hastings, Chief Technology Officer: In practice, the split memory architecture hasn?t caused us many problems. The GPU can access main RAM at high speed and with very few restrictions. And while there are some restrictions when you want the CPU or SPUs to access video RAM at high speed, so far they?ve been easy enough to work with.

For the PS3, I think the split memory architecture was the right way to go. It allows the Cell and the GPU to both do heavy work on their local buses without contending with each other. It should really pay dividends a few years down the road in the PS3?s lifecycle when everyone?s code has gotten more efficient and bus bandwidth emerges as a one of the most important resources.

an example any multiplatform game out right now looks better and runs smoother than the PS3 counterparts

Because incompetant developers are letting 360's disadvantages affect PS3.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/04/qa_with_factor_5_chief_julian_eggebrecht.html

Q: How do you look back at this point on the differences between the PS 3 and the Xbox 360?
A: You’ll have a hard time if you port without having a PS 3 game in mind when you created the 360 version. That is where a lot of complaints are coming from. They created the 360 engine with a unified memory architecture in mind, with the embedded frame buffer with its advantages and disadvantages, and not thinking too much in early stages about multicore. If you try to get that over to the PS 3, you’re in for a bad surprise. The PS 3 is all about streamlining about the two different memory pools. They are separate. You don’t have to do tiling because you don’t have an embedded frame buffer. All of these advantages of the PS 3 turn into disadvantages if you don’t start making your game on the PS 3. Hence the griping. If you create first on the PS 3, it is pretty easy to port it to the 360. A lot of companies coming on board now will probably start on the PS 3 and move to the 360. The lucky thing for us is we didn’t have to think about the 360 at all

$ony is at right now with their online service some point where M$ was BEFORE launching Live.

No, they are actually in between where Live was on the OG XBOX, and where it is on the 360. PS3 has EVERY feature Live had on the OG XBOX, and some 360 has.

quzar
April 15th, 2007, 09:34
Your post is 0% true, 100% moron.

PSP is NOT failing commercially. 25 million sales is not a failure.

Yes they have, they even said it won't fit on DVD

Funny, all the PS3 developers say otherwise.

First of all, don't start posts by insulting the person you quote. Next, amount of systems sold has little to do with commercial sucess. What matters much more are market share, software sales per console sold, and profit margin on the machine itself. For example: Microsoft lost money on the xbox, nintendo made money on the gamecube. Which company comes out better for the experience?

I want you to show at least one source of a dev saying that 8 cores makes the system great and easy to use.

CyruzDraxs
April 16th, 2007, 01:56
1.) The PS3 does NOT have multiple cores. That would suggest that there is an individual L2 Cache for each module, which their is not. Therefore; the PS3 has 1 core and 6 parallel DSPs.

2.) The Cell Processor reads local memory at an immensely sluggish 16 MB/s. Yes, megabytes, not gigabytes.

3.) Enforcing an exact 256 MB split between process memory and graphics memory is a really bad idea. How many games can you think of that use equal memory for both the graphics and the process?

But frankly, the hardware isn't that important; it's the games that REALLY matter.

Xbox 360 exclusives that don't suck;
Blue Dragon, Blue Dragon 2, Crackdown, Fable 2, Forza Motorsport 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Eternal Sonata (Trusty Bell), Perfect Dark Zero

PS3 Exclusives that don't suck;

umm...Metal Gear? I seem to recall something about Square Enix's White Engine being made multiplatform (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160232)...I wonder why they'd do that when they announced future titles are to be developed with Unreal Engine 3 (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/25/square-enix-licenses-unreal-engine-3/)? Perhaps because FF XIII is not exclusive. Sony kinda failed when they put Kutaragi in charge of collecting next-gen exclusives. >.>

I think Microsoft has it right; universal network play is good. Sony's attempt at copying Xbox Live isn't really universal at all.

What about that Sony Home? Are they serious? If I wanted to wander aimlessly around some non-existent house trying to find the stuff that should take me a button press or two to get to I'd go play Habbo Hotel. I'm just wondering how long it'll be until the "Pool's Closed".

and PS3 Linux? You know why most Linux operating systems are considered to be so "secure"? It's because there is nothing IN them. You can't exploit what doesn't exist. Half of them barely out-function my cell phone I got for free from a friend when he got a new one. There is a few exceptions in Linux operating systems...but the one for PS3 is not one of those. Open Source is nice and all, but it has no place in a sandboxed and stripped down attempt at porting Linux.

Were this about the PS2 I'd be singing it's praises for it's impressive library of excellent RPGs and, for it's time, great use of the unique hardware like the camera and the guitar in guitar hero. But in this generation Sony dropped the ball, and it rolled of a cliff.

[EDIT] Ok...reading through that again it kinda comes off a little more cynical and ranting than I had intended, so I'll just say; I have nothing against Sony themselves and the PSP is totally awesome for homebrew. It gets almost as much attention as my Xbox (I'm not much of a handheld fan) and it amazes me that the PSX emulation works so well on a system that's technically not much better. I'm just not too pleased with how the PS3s turned out...I hope they at least make some improvements on the good-game front.

Joe88
April 16th, 2007, 04:27
1.) The PS3 does NOT have multiple cores. That would suggest that there is an individual L2 Cache for each module, which their is not. Therefore; the PS3 has 1 core and 6 parallel DSPs.

2.) The Cell Processor reads local memory at an immensely sluggish 16 MB/s. Yes, megabytes, not gigabytes.

3.) Enforcing an exact 256 MB split between process memory and graphics memory is a really bad idea. How many games can you think of that use equal memory for both the graphics and the process?

But frankly, the hardware isn't that important; it's the games that REALLY matter.

Xbox 360 exclusives that don't suck;
Blue Dragon, Blue Dragon 2, Crackdown, Fable 2, Forza Motorsport 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Eternal Sonata (Trusty Bell), Perfect Dark Zero

PS3 Exclusives that don't suck;

umm...Metal Gear? I seem to recall something about Square Enix's White Engine being made multiplatform (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160232)...I wonder why they'd do that when they announced future titles are to be developed with Unreal Engine 3 (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/25/square-enix-licenses-unreal-engine-3/)? Perhaps because FF XIII is not exclusive. Sony kinda failed when they put Kutaragi in charge of collecting next-gen exclusives. >.>

I think Microsoft has it right; universal network play is good. Sony's attempt at copying Xbox Live isn't really universal at all.

What about that Sony Home? Are they serious? If I wanted to wander aimlessly around some non-existent house trying to find the stuff that should take me a button press or two to get to I'd go play Habbo Hotel. I'm just wondering how long it'll be until the "Pool's Closed".

and PS3 Linux? You know why most Linux operating systems are considered to be so "secure"? It's because there is nothing IN them. You can't exploit what doesn't exist. Half of them barely out-function my cell phone I got for free from a friend when he got a new one. There is a few exceptions in Linux operating systems...but the one for PS3 is not one of those. Open Source is nice and all, but it has no place in a sandboxed and stripped down attempt at porting Linux.

Were this about the PS2 I'd be singing it's praises for it's impressive library of excellent RPGs and, for it's time, great use of the unique hardware like the camera and the guitar in guitar hero. But in this generation Sony dropped the ball, and it rolled of a cliff.

[EDIT] Ok...reading through that again it kinda comes off a little more cynical and ranting than I had intended, so I'll just say; I have nothing against Sony themselves and the PSP is totally awesome for homebrew. It gets almost as much attention as my Xbox (I'm not much of a handheld fan) and it amazes me that the PSX emulation works so well on a system that's technically not much better. I'm just not too pleased with how the PS3s turned out...I hope they at least make some improvements on the good-game front.
http://www.realworldtech.com/includes/images/articles/cell-1.gif

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060713/0606esdTurleyCell01.gif

8 SPE cores
The XIO-XDR link runs at 3.2 Gbit/s per pin. Two 32 bit channels can provide a theoretical maximum of 25.6 GB/s.

you can install ubuntu on it
it comes with software off the bat
plus you can install what ever was developed for it
and hopfully it should run

how are they copying xbox live ?
as far as I know they arent charging you a thing
unlike live where you have to pay a monthly bill :rolleyes:
they havent really showed anything else besides a pic and a few deatails
so you you really dont know what it is

FFXII is exclusive, there is no 360 ver in development

now for exclusives for the xbox
crackdown ?
its a cheap GTA rip, just like every other rip
it phailed hard
people only payed $70 for the game so they can get the halo 3 online beta which only lats for 1 month

fable 2 will just be a port from the PC ver
the PC ver better of course as always with these types of thing ...

blur dragon looks like a baby game, it looks like pokemon, seriously

perfect dark was a launch game
it was good for a while but people got board and it was over looked
it is a pretty good game though

CyruzDraxs
April 16th, 2007, 05:08
FFXII is exclusive, there is no 360 ver in development

now for exclusives for the xbox
crackdown ?
its a cheap GTA rip, just like every other rip
it phailed hard
people only payed $70 for the game so they can get the halo 3 online beta which only lats for 1 month

fable 2 will just be a port from the PC ver
the PC ver better of course as always with these types of thing ...

blur dragon looks like a baby game, it looks like pokemon, seriously

perfect dark was a launch game
it was good for a while but people got board and it was over looked
it is a pretty good game though

I'm sure at least 1 version of FF XIII will be multiplatform...why else would they spend a ton of money making a a game engine multiplatform that is only going to be used for those games?

Crackdown is a very good game. Yes, it is essentially much like GTA, but Sonic is much like Super Mario...does that make it a rip off? No. It's just a similar genre. Crackdown is like Halo; it's not a new idea at all, but it did what has been done before in just the right way that it worked very well.

Fable 2 will be released on the 360 long before it comes out on the PC. The PC version is the port, just as it was with the first one. I have the PC version and I must say the Xbox version, aside from mods, is much better. The gameplay is much cleaner and, because of the identical hardware of all xboxes, less prone to glitches.

You can say whatever you want about Blue Dragon; the graphics ARE cartoony. But it's made by the same guys that made Chrono Trigger; one of the biggest RPGs of all time. So I'd expect it will be much better than it looks.

Perfect Dark is so much fun online. Maybe I'm just a Perfect Dark fanboy or something, by I didn't find that it got old at all.