PDA

View Full Version : Sony responds to God of War's creator's Blu-ray bashing

wraggster
April 13th, 2007, 19:58
Sony has responded to God of War director David Jaffe's recent comments in a Game Trailers interview where he said that he would have "taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money."

Normally you'd expect his bosses to sit him down and give him a good talking to, after publicly going on record about changes he's make to Sony's PS3 strategy. But Sony seems to be OK with it, even though they think he's wrong.

Sony US PR man Dave Karakker told GamePro, "While we respect [Jaffe's] opinion, we feel strongly that the future of gaming lies in the ability to deliver more to the consumer -- more gameplay options, more lifelike graphics, more dynamic sound -- all in high definition. To do that, you need a storage vehicle such as the 50GB Blu-ray disc, because your standard 9GB DVD simply can't handle the demands of true next generation gaming."

Secretly though, we suspect Jaffe might be hanging from a pair of nipple clamps in a basement somewhere while being stripped of his God of War II bonuses.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161920)

slappy1
April 14th, 2007, 15:23
I'm not gonna say much, because obviously Sony is biased to blue-ray. But the statement that a 9GB disc isn't enough space is stupid. That is what the 360 uses and has plenty of games in high definition, namely Gears of War.

DPyro
April 14th, 2007, 15:54
Um, Xbox 360 games are already starting to need more than 1 disc.

F9zDark
April 14th, 2007, 17:09
I'm not gonna say much, because obviously Sony is biased to blue-ray. But the statement that a 9GB disc isn't enough space is stupid. That is what the 360 uses and has plenty of games in high definition, namely Gears of War.

Give it two years and games on the 360 wont even be feasible to produce, having to use 2 and 3 discs for one game.

And besides, Blu-Ray gives the game developers the option of including more bonus content, more mini-games, etc aside from a higher quality gaming experience.

Tree
April 15th, 2007, 13:30
what they should have done is this ... also have DVD games and blu-ray games nd the developers can choose what ones they want cant they ...

INixxI
April 15th, 2007, 14:38
Give it two years and games on the 360 wont even be feasible to produce, having to use 2 and 3 discs for one game.

And besides, Blu-Ray gives the game developers the option of including more bonus content, more mini-games, etc aside from a higher quality gaming experience.

So how exactly does using multiple cd's make the system infeasible? Many ps1 games were on multiple disks and that didn't stop it from winning its generation. I would claim that using a larger medium only trivially affects the user, as such extras can easily be put on a second disk without affecting gameplay.

belialone
April 15th, 2007, 20:53
i think the size of a game depends on how skillfull the programmers are
and also on how many time you got to finish it
the games on dvd today can be fit into 1 cd
its all uncompiled stuff

look at the demo scene and what they can do with 64k

the only thing i see that needs space are cinematics

F9zDark
April 15th, 2007, 23:58
So how exactly does using multiple cd's make the system infeasible? Many ps1 games were on multiple disks and that didn't stop it from winning its generation. I would claim that using a larger medium only trivially affects the user, as such extras can easily be put on a second disk without affecting gameplay.

It will eventually get to the point where Xbox developers will have to put in more time and effort to keep their games up to date with those seen on the PS3, because Blu-Ray allows developers to pile tons more movies, textures, objects, shaders, etc into their games.

Space constraints will ultimately limit how much of these improvements can be made to a game without rewriting the engine.

For instance, Oblivion for PC has many texture overhauls out there. One of the best is Qarl's Texture Pack. Said pack, compressed is 307 megabytes. Unpacked it is 564 megabytes, more than half of a gigabyte.

My point is, it will come to a point where devs wishing to use larger resolution textures to improve the quality of their games, won't be able to do so using DVDs. More space = more game.

Shadowblind
April 16th, 2007, 00:00
Secretly though, we suspect Jaffe might be hanging from a pair of nipple clamps in a basement somewhere while being stripped of his God of War II bonuses.

Thats a secret?

to F9z: That may be true for some, but if that really was the care of most companies, would the Wii have ever been made?

SSaxdude
April 16th, 2007, 00:27
How about release games on more than one DVD? I wouldn't mind switching discs halfway through Halo 3, especially if it saves me $200. That or create triple layer DVDs.

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 00:40
Thats a secret?

to F9z: That may be true for some, but if that really was the care of most companies, would the Wii have ever been made?

The Wii's main purpose and intent was to provide a gameplay experience like no other. Graphics is not the concern of Nintendo with the Wii. The DVD - Blu-Ray argument is mainly the concern of the Xbox360 and PS3.

Even though gameplay is important to me, shitty graphics in favor of good gameplay doesn't justify spending 400-600 USD on a console. When one buys a 360 and PS3 one is paying for HD graphics on top of gameplay. However with the Wii, when one buys a Wii, one is paying for the gameplay.

Shadowblind
April 16th, 2007, 00:49
Yeah. Really though, I'd play Gears of War even with crappy graphics :)

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 00:56
Yeah. Really though, I'd play Gears of War even with crappy graphics :)

By shitty graphics I mean like... Wii graphics, in particularly, Wii sports type graphics. If Marcus Fenix looked like something out of the Miis, I can imagine that Gears of War would not have been as popular :p

Shadowblind
April 16th, 2007, 01:01
Heck no they wouldn't. 'Course, I'd play Gears at Twilight Princess graphics even. Thats about as good as Halo 2 graphics, but with 7x better gameplay.

Basil Zero
April 16th, 2007, 02:32

I LOL'd at that

Cap'n 1time
April 16th, 2007, 04:05
I can live with multiple disks... I dont understand why 1 huge expensive blueray disk is any better. I dont mind swapping disks.

By shitty graphics I mean like... Wii graphics, in particularly, Wii sports type graphics. If Marcus Fenix looked like something out of the Miis, I can imagine that Gears of War would not have been as popular :p

The wii is very capable of very nice graphics. While Oblivion certainly wont be making an appearance on the wii.. It will certainly be able to pump some decent graphics out. The GPU is FAR from shitty.

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 04:29
The wii is very capable of very nice graphics. While Oblivion certainly wont be making an appearance on the wii.. It will certainly be able to pump some decent graphics out. The GPU is FAR from shitty.

Twilight Princess looks good, I'll admit that. So does Red Steel, albeit the difficult controls.

penileartery
April 16th, 2007, 05:06
i would rather play more thanwaste lame ass time switching the discs thats why metal gear 4 is gonna be the best. :D:D:D:d and the fact i have a ps3 doesnt help much either haha

Shadowblind
April 16th, 2007, 05:18
Im not gonna be too lazy to swap disks. Im willing to burn the 0.000000001 calories neccesary to swap disks.

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 16:36
The only difficulty I have with swapping discs is the fact that one disc is always out of the console. For most people this is not problem, but when you grow up in a house with 8 other children, its a real pain in the ass, especially if they like to borrow your games.

My little brother used to borrow my PS2 games all the time when my nephew would come over and I have lost 3 games because of him. All of my two disc games have suffered a similar fate way back, since I could let someone borrow the first disc when I was on the second.

Over the years I have grown away from using games with multiple discs because its seems when I do get such games, one disc ends up becoming scratched or ruined leaving me without a game to play; where as if it was one disc, it would be sitting safely inside my console.

Accordion
April 16th, 2007, 16:52
@f9
games come with cases, and most doors come with locks!
_________________________|
in my opinion more space can only be a good thing. i bought the ps3 safe in the knowlede that in under two years the ps3 will have the largest game library bwtween the Wii, and 360.

the fact that sony will put much more backing in to risky games which push the definition of what a game is, has also made the purchase quite palatable