PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Tips!

gdf
April 13th, 2007, 20:54
Oblivion Tips

Hey I decided to do some tips for "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion". I did a review of it recently as well so if you want to see that go to the reviews section. Ok this might come in instalments...I don't know but right now it's just sort of general tips, not specific stuff. Feel free to add more and I'll edit it in. I hope to eventually have a comprehensive play guide to Oblivion eventually, not detailing every single inch of the world, but giving an idea of the things people will find useful. Right then here goes.

General Play Tips
1) Don't expect to slay everything staight away.
Bit of a no brainer but there's no point running off to a dungeon filled with ogres when all you have is a rusty iron dagger and haven't levelled up yet.
2) Join lots of guilds.
You can get gold and some excellent missions if you join guilds. Also if you are playing on 360 each time you rank up you get Acheivements! There are 4 guilds (Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild and Fighters Guild) but there are factions like Arena Fighting that have similar structures of going through the ranks and doing missions for money or items.
3) Learn your icons.
Red icons always mean you aren't supposed to do it, however even if the icon is red you can still read books and open cupboards without breaking the law. People with the icon that looks like a rising/setting sun when you want to talk to them CANNOT BE KILLED ( I don't mean "don't kill them" I mean they literally will not die, they just get knocked out. You can't even loot their unconcious bodies!) and may have importance later. When you see an icon that looks like a sun with an aroow on it at the bottom of your screen it means you can level up the next time you sleep.
4) Read books.
Some books are skill books and can boost your abilities, so try to read as many as posible (read meaning open it up, you don't have to actually read it at all).
5) Practice makes perfect.
If at first you don't succeed try and try again as the saying goes. For instance you couldn't take a sweety from a sleeping baby at first, but later on you can be taking (as in stealing) 1000s of gold at a time from someone's pocket unnoticed.
6) If you can't get information...
Put up the person's disposition using bribery, your own speechcraft skill or a charm spell and you should get what you want.
7) Don't get kicked out of the Mages Guild.
Just don't.
8) Don't try to fight every enemy.
This goes especially for some of the tougher dungeons and Oblivion Gates. If you try to fight them all chances are you will die, the best way is to just run for it. An hour in Oblivion can turn into 5 minutes if you just sprint up the tower. A good thing to do is wait for an hour (Select/Back button.Dunno about PC) if there are no enemies close by and you will regain all your health, magic and fatigue, much like sleeping.
9) Don't lose track of your horse.
It sucks if you do.
10) Stealth is your friend.
Sneaking is a good skill to practice and can save you lots of time and bother.
11) Pick locks.
Learn how to properly pick locks and you'll get some nice items later on. Wait till you hear the double click and the tumbler goes slowly, don't try to get it the first time you push it up. It may take several minutes to pick one lock but it is useful nonetheless.
12) Learn your priorities.
Don't take a new weapon or armour if you have to dump better or more valuable items in order to carry it.
13) Get a house.
Here you can stash all your stolen stuff if need be or just put items there for future use.
14) Do lots of quests.
Not everyone is as they seem, they might say you'll only get 50 Gold but it is likely there will be a very useful item up for grabs or they are part of the city watch and will give you 500 (as happened to me today) for a stupidly easy task.
15) Be careful when you save.
When I got the game I stupidly saved when the game glitched and I ended up underneath the map. I couldn't get out. Luckily this was after less than an hour's play and I just started again, but you wouldn't want to do something like that 50 hours in would you?
16) Try not to get caught.
With me it has gotten to the point that I am so dependant on some of my stolen items that if I had to pay a fine or go to jail I would struggle to progress or my experience would be less enjoyable. If you are caught and you are a member of the Theives Guild you can just resist arrest, run to a Doyen (Armand or S'Krivva), get them to pay off your fines and then yield to the pursuing guard.
17) Save your good stuff.
Sometimes when you come across an enchanted item the temptation is just to start using it right away. Don't do that. Armour is generally ok to start using but it's mainly weapons you should save. Think about that one guy you couldn't beat and the Burning Dagger that ran out just before you reached him.
18) Stealth is your friend Part 2.
Sneak attacks have a huge damage bonus (6x for melee weapons, 3x for ranged) so can help out loads with particularly tough enemies.
19) If something is after you and you can't kill it on your own...
Run to your nearest allies or to a town where your mates/the guards will bring the beast down.
20) Vampirism.
This can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. If you feed often enough it is good to be a vampire because of the other effects, but if you don't fancy biting necks then don't become one. The disease you catch first is "Porphyric Haemophilia" so it can be cured with a cure disease potion before you turn into a vampire.
21) Concentrate on your major skills.
There's no point going around with an axe when blade is a major skill and blunt a minor. Even if the shiny warhammer says 20 attack chances are that your 15 attack dagger is more useful. This goes vice versa and applies to most other things.
22) Save up your Redwort Flowers and Dragon tongue.
Incase you are kicked out of the Mages Guild.
23) The last mission for the Thieves Guild...
Is absolute murder, an 8 dungeon (linked together) behemoth that is like all the other missions put together. It took me almost 2 hours. Worth it in the end but don't go unless you are prepared for it.
24) Talk to people.
You can get told about new missons ,places to find kickass items or info from those scrounging beggars.
25) Don't kicked out of the Mages Guild Part 2.
I'm serious, just don't.
26) Read the game manual.
It helps.
27) Learn how to travel...
My friend took 15 hours to work it out, so do so immediately and it saves lots of time and bother.
28)...but don't travel everywhere.
You won't get a feel for the wilderness or level up as fast so don't travel all the time.
29) Don't be afraid to kill people.
Sometimes that is the only way to get decent weapons and can benefit you later on, for instance I killed a man that was later a target for the Dark Brotherhood, saving myself time and gaining instant cash!
30) Don't try to speak to guards if you have a bounty.
They will arrest you so it isn't advisable.
31) Use the journal.
You get all your stats and skills, missions and items so you should open it up a lot.

Crap I wanted to end on 25.
Ok hope that helps. :)
:Thumbup:

wolfpack
April 13th, 2007, 21:03
I agree with dont get kicked out of the mages guild part... good thing i saved BEFORE i was kicked out. so i just reloaded to where i was and didnt pickpocket that person till later :P

gdf
April 13th, 2007, 21:07
i slashed someone to get blood for a vampire cure.

stoopid. didn't tell me til ten minutes later.

Sonicboy 101
April 13th, 2007, 21:26
I have Oblivion, It rocks. :)
The Dark Brotherhood was the only guild I properly finished.

gdf
April 13th, 2007, 21:33
i have done arena, thieves and brotherhood.

thieves is good to complete, you get the cowl ;).

mesosade
April 13th, 2007, 23:35
i've done everything except for shivering isles rawr!

THE ULTIMATE 3 HINTS ON OBLIVION:

1. teh defence hax0r:
go into bruma into thier barracks. put diffuculty to easiest...steal an apple and resist arrest let them keep hitting you so you defence in whatever type armour goes up (works for shield as well) then pay your 2 gold bounty when out side wait an hour use hammers to repair armour and get armorer up and repeat process th w00t.

2.teh arror glitchz0r.

want loads of crap!?!!? well here goes: get 200 arrows equip them and equip bow aim at floor and hold right trigger don't let go! go to inventory then let go of right trigger. then try to unequip arrows of course ou can't then drop what item you want timesd by 200! very fun with watermelons :P

3.teh gold.

go into imperial city i THINK it's the first area (plaza district palace district or something) well check your map look for dorians place. break into his. he'll get like angry talk to him bribe him to max. then kill ve swine! once done take all items do not press take all. once you get to gold you can take as many times as you want and it won't run out omfg! but of course his body shall vanish...

umm if your copy of oblivion is new it probz won't work with the new patched games.

gdf
April 13th, 2007, 23:59
good for you. due you rep for many things but as ever need to spread it around.

Senni
May 9th, 2007, 18:42
Hey gdf im on the last theives gild mission and in the library with the blind monks but cant sit down on the damn chair.
p.s I got the acheviment on Geometry wars for going 60 secs without shooting

gdf
May 9th, 2007, 22:06
same i texted you about it, but forgot your phone is spazzed up! oops!

Senni
May 21st, 2007, 21:46
Got mission sorted and hopefully will get Guitar Hero II any day now!

gdf
May 21st, 2007, 21:52
yay!

hey dude my sig i made for you is failing...you should save it and upload to imageshack. and you don't need to keep bumping this thread, i post in almost everywhere:)!

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 16:07
On the ps3 when you are getting chased, it doesnt work paying your bounty to the theves guild guy.

IT just costs you money and you still have to fight.

steve-b
May 24th, 2007, 16:25
I really can't stop playing this game. I haven't looked at anything else since I got it.

My tip to avoid bribing and the stupid talking mini game: make a charm spell that lasts 1 second and adds 100 to disposition. It will cost next to no magicka and will work every time :)

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 16:30
Yeah i havent come off it either.

also steal blades armour, you will never get caught stealing it.

Also the swords are good.

steve-b
May 24th, 2007, 17:32
yeah I like the katana weapons cause of the extreme light weight. I have one with base 12 damage, then like 18 frost, 16 fire, 16 spark, all for 1 second. Called it 'elemental fury' and it absolutely kicks ass. I only get about 20 hits before it needs 1600 soul power again though. But since i have azura's star, that isn't really an issue.

I'd recommend getting the star as soon as possible

Senni
May 30th, 2007, 18:59
Hey quick tip, help the guy at the place just to the west of the Imperial City and help the fisherman the after mission is complete go back an pick his pocket for 600 odd gold!