PDA

View Full Version : Is Feminine an Advantage?

wraggster
April 14th, 2007, 00:16
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/women/is-feminine-an-advantage-252172.php)

What are the perks and downsides of being a female in a male dominated industry? Jane over at game girl advance had a December 2006 response up to another opinion piece over at WomenGamers.com, and as is typical to the exceedingly broad question of women and gaming, there are no clear cut answers.

Any female that is a gamer has probably stumbled upon the dual problem/upside of being a girl who likes video games: Much as people of both genders cry that people are people, boobs or not, it's still an obvious difference, and a selling point (or a detriment). But even though one of my primary academic interests is in an extremely male dominated sub-field (military history), I've never felt put on the spot to "speak for womenkind," as the GGA piece terms it - except in relation to writing about video games. So I guess I have my own question: Why is that?

The Virus
April 14th, 2007, 09:17
I am so sick of this sexism bullshit

domthegod
April 14th, 2007, 10:56
**** sake this is shit!!

Stew2000
April 14th, 2007, 17:41
I don't understand it. Who's moaning about what? O.o

quzar
April 14th, 2007, 18:45
That was one of the most pointless articles ever. It contained no information at all. All it said was "we asked her what it was like and she said it was ok".

Basil Zero
April 14th, 2007, 19:17
who cares about gender, I just want some games LOL

tsimehC
April 14th, 2007, 20:21
...being a "female" on MMOs has its benefits like free items and stuff from loners. That article however is useless.

dark heart
April 15th, 2007, 00:35
these guys should stop labeling girls who play games, it's like getting a guy and calling him a boy gamer, who generally likes 'shooting' games.

joshisposer
April 15th, 2007, 00:42
There is differences, i mean, it is "different" for girls to get into certain games likes MMO's and FPS's, but not bad. I mean, if girls play games, they are going beyond the *cutsie* stereotype but i sort of like them more because they do think different

Broadus
April 15th, 2007, 01:26
Why must men and women be so seperated?
Actually, if we had to share bathrooms, that'd be gross. That's the line, man.

joshisposer
April 15th, 2007, 02:45
Sharing bathrooms is pretty much the line. That and soap.
How come it is always the ugly chicks though that like to get naked unless hot chicks get paid a lot? Do they know that they are hot or something? Idk, i just thought that. I mean, if you go somewhere, like huge ass parties or something where you don't need clothes, only ugly ones take them off unless you pay the hot ones

The King
April 15th, 2007, 02:54
yea man thats true

I_Highway
April 15th, 2007, 16:57
That was one of the most pointless articles ever. It contained no information at all. All it said was "we asked her what it was like and she said it was ok".

Thank you, Quzar, I thought I was the only one to think that!