PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles IGN Hands-on

Kaiser
April 14th, 2007, 03:23
Capcom producer Masachika Kawata wants to make something clear as he takes the stage at the company's Gamers Day 2007 press conference in San Francisco. He's speaking about the studio's new Wii project, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. "It's a brand new all original title that has been developed from the ground-up," he says. "It's a title that isn't a port of any way, shape or kind." That much is true. The project features a storyline that finally exposes what happened to the devious Umbrella Corporation. But Chronicles won't be entirely new to those who've played through the survival horror franchise's many offerings because it takes you back into the mansion, on board the train, and into the police station before you finally get to Umbrella's stronghold. And did we mention that this is an on-rails shooter?

"[The game] has been developed focusing on the point, shoot and aim feature of the Resident Evil franchise and we're trying to deepen that part of the experience," explains Kawata. He's not kidding. To play Umbrella Chronicles, all you really need is the Wii remote because the action is pre-set and auto-choreographed for you. At the most basic level, you point the Wii remote at the television screen and blast zombies as the first-person view camera takes you through the eerie locales. So if you thought you were getting a true sequel to Resident Evil 4 when you signed up for this effort, think again.

Welcome home...
The genre is hardly unexplored. SEGA has House of the Dead and Capcom itself has Resident Evil: Dead Aim, but these are light gun games and Umbrella Chronicles is not. It survives by the Wii remote and you will survive only if you learn how to wield it to point and kill with speed and accuracy. The gameplay mechanics may be reduced or simplified compared to the Resident Evil norm -- we won't argue that they're not -- and yet having played the title's first mission, there's no denying that the end experience is still a fun one. It looks good, too.

Check out the full article here (http://wii.ign.com/articles/780/780373p1.html)

ICE
April 14th, 2007, 03:29
i heard that there are two separate modes on UC is that true? i was hoping for an on-rails mode and a more traditional mode as well. wishful thinking? either way about a month ago i hated the on-rails thing but now its sounding better every day.

rmedtx
April 20th, 2007, 20:57
What a shame this game will only be for Wii. I have no plans to buy a Nintendo Wii.