PDA

View Full Version : PS3 can outstrip 360's current installed base within a year, says Eidos

wraggster
April 14th, 2007, 17:58
According to Parker Consulting, 360 is installed in over eight million homes globally – and Eidos chief financial officer Murphy told MCV that the publisher is looking for PS3 to reach or better that number by April next year, leaving the market ripe for Eidos' top-line franchises.

“We have absolutely no doubt that PS3 will be a very successful platform and we’re completely behind it,” said Murphy. “Ideally, we would like to have a market that is a worldwide installed base of eight to ten million PS3 units by the time we bring out our big products. But we’ll have to assess how that moves.”

“We will have some PS3 products over the coming months, but we’re holding back our major top line products until this time next year.”

The news comes after the Britsoft publisher released its financial interim results for the six months ended December 31st, 2006.

Parent company the SCi Group revealed that revenues stood at £74.5 million, up a healthy £24.4 million compared to the same period the previous year. Losses were reduced by £2 million year on year, totalling £17.9 million.

via mcvuk (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26535/Eidos-banking-on-10m-PS3-bonanza)

Tree
April 15th, 2007, 13:28
well if they got GTA IV exclusive i think they would b easy half way there nd also they got home coming soon ... all they need now is 2 steal 360 exculsives nd get some for there selfs :D ... games like dead rising would b good :P but we do have getaway nd driver exclusive so thats all good :D

Shadowblind
April 15th, 2007, 14:59
Sony says many things. With all the amazing Xbox games, some of which used to be Sony exclusive coming out...thats gonna be a hard act to follow.

Triv1um
April 15th, 2007, 15:45
well if they got GTA IV exclusive

GTA is xbox aswell isnt it?

Tree
April 15th, 2007, 16:34
no i ment if ps3 got gta iv exculive that would help dem alot ... but no its on PS3 nd 360

DPyro
April 15th, 2007, 17:50
There are lots of PS3 exclusives:

Eight Days
Eyedentify
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Gran Turismo 5
GripShift
Heavenly Sword
Killzone
Lair
LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Tekken 6
Warhawk
Wipeout 6

These are just some of the more important ones, theres a better list here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_exclusives)

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 01:04
I think Sony's greatest weapon is Home. Thats when the PSN will rise to greatness and step out of the dark ages. Once that happens, I surely believe the gap between the Xbox360 and PS3 will close significantly.

lmtlmt
April 16th, 2007, 02:31
full list :

Afrika (video game)
B
Blast Factor
C
Calling All Cars (video game)
Championship Sprint
Coded Arms: Assault
E
Eight Days
Eye of Judgement: Conqueror of 9 fields
Eyedentify
F
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
FolksSoul
G
Genji: Days of the Blade
The Getaway 3
Go! Puzzle
Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo HD
GripShift PS3
G cont.
Gundam Musou
H
Heavenly Sword
K
Killzone (PlayStation 3)
Kurayami
L
Lair (video game)
LittleBigPlanet
M
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
MotorStorm
My SingStar
N
Ni-Oh
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Nucleus (video game)
R
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Red Dead Revolver 2
Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance: Fall of Man Sequel
Ridge Racer 7
R cont.
Rocketmen: Axis Of Evil
S
Shirokishi Monogatari
SingStar: Next Gen
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Super Rub 'a' Dub
Super Stardust HD
Super Streetfighter II Turbo HD Remix
T
Talisman (video game)
Tekken 6
Terracotta Warrior Iki: Mechanized Typhoon Knight
U
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
W
WarDevil: Enigma
Warhawk (PlayStation 3 game)
Way of the Samurai 3
Wipeout 6

Tree
April 16th, 2007, 16:30
the thing is that sony also needs them people who already have a 360 to get a ps3 insted ...

One way they could do that is ... if someone trades there 360 in for a PS3 they get like £150 off or something and a free game ... nd also they can trade in all there 360 games 4 PS3 games ... every 3 games gets u one PS3 game or something

Uchuu
April 16th, 2007, 17:41
the thing is that sony also needs them people who already have a 360 to get a ps3 insted ...

One way they could do that is ... if someone trades there 360 in for a PS3 they get like £150 off or something and a free game ... nd also they can trade in all there 360 games 4 PS3 games ... every 3 games gets u one PS3 game or something

Doubt most 360 fans would give up their console for a PS3. They for some reason seem to hate the PS3. Plus last gen, most XBox fans didn't care much for the PS2.

devdj
April 16th, 2007, 18:07
i just hope that they bring out a few good anime titles for all next gen but hopefully for the 360 as i would just love if they made dragon ball z game for it as i have nearly all the dragon ball games out there for the ps2 except for the crappy saga's game that does not even come over to europe.

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 19:12

That won't happen, as most game stores would rather take PS3s for the Xbox360, as its selling more and has a larger install base. The only thing Sony can do is get those with 360s to also buy a PS3.

Having as large a price point as the PS3 makes this very difficult since its not priced all that competitively.

However, Home will give users a good reason to buy a PS3. Also something I foresee as a difficulty for Sony is the lack of game-launch parties and events. What gives Microsoft the edge is not only their good titles, but the fact that the companies that make their games are willing to shell out big bucks to get large scale parties for their game's launch date.

Gears of War for instance had a large launch party in which Megadeath (if I remember correctly) was there to perform. As well, all attendees got a copy of the game and some other swag.

While launch parties aren't really geared towards casual gamers, having a launch party can really benefit a game and a console. Imagine if Sony hosted one for say Killzone or MGS 4, and some lucky winners walked away with an HDTV, a PS3 and a copy of the game. Such would not only improve Sony's image but may also attract those on the fence about getting a PS3.

Point is, Sony has never been all that good at PR (and they didn't need it in the days of the PS2, when they had a clear advantage) but now its important, especially when a company has to face bad publicity like Sony has.

INixxI
April 17th, 2007, 00:21
Not only that, but stores would love to have a user trade in a more expensive system for a more popular one since it leaves them with a used console with a high price point.

Its the same thing that happened with the PSP and the DS. "Trade the past to play the future" as they said.

Tree
April 17th, 2007, 19:29
i ment more on the lines of sony doing it and just reclercling the 360s or usin it for some use