PDA

View Full Version : Sora death sprites and RAM question

gunntims0103
April 14th, 2007, 23:06
MexicanSnake and i currently need the Sora death sprites (Sprites of Sora actually dieing). As of right now Sora is currently unable to die. Also a nice health bar that someone could put together would also be smashing. :)

I decided to pick development back up again. Though im still only running internet off of my Nintendo Wii and brothers Labtop, i still feel i can get some things done for a pubplic release (A private beta is out on developer forums only :p)

As soon as i get in contact with MexicanSnake and have what i need, we can hopefully get some things out of the way. As its been so long since development was actually in motion. I might be entering Sora Adventure in that new Coding compotition, but im not sure yet.........

Also MexicanSnake has made it clear to me that we have have a bit of a RAM issue and we have to open up some RAM to continue developing. I don't know much about this issue since while i dev i never ran into this issue (most likely because i never had so much images bliting at the same time). Im sure MexicanSnake will go more into detail with this.

Video of current progress- http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49624&highlight=sora+adventure

Development Thread- http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43349&highlight=sora+adventure

Private Beta (Those who can access it)- http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50029&highlight=sora+adventure

Im off to play Fifa 07, if anyone can help with this i would really appreciate it. Anyone have a online account on Fifa 07 for PSP and wish to challenge me just give me the heads up so i can whip your behind :p

Thanks all

D0N
April 15th, 2007, 17:58
Hey Gunntims, long time no speak. :) Just wondering, am i still in the team? If so, I'm still willing to help out. :)

Sora Death Sprites attatched below. Enjoy! ;)

PSPKOR
April 15th, 2007, 17:59
Sounds great:). I liked the Beta, feels like a nice running game.

I had quite a few issues with RAM on my Bruce Lee game, which I fixed up, so if you need any help with that I would be more than happy to help (If its the image loading error).

gunntims0103
April 15th, 2007, 19:27
Sweet DON, Thanks for the death sprites. :)

PSPKOR, as soon as mexicansnake post what the exact problem is on this "RAM" issue. Ill definitly give you a shout out for ideas on a fix.

Shadowblind
April 15th, 2007, 19:30
RAM... Wouldn' that be fixed just only loading the image when its needed, instead of loading all the images first and then using them as they come? I don't know how'd you go about doing that, but if its memory that you need that'll probably work.

Idunno, im guessing the RAM your talking about is like computer RAM.

PSPKOR
April 15th, 2007, 20:38
RAM... Wouldn' that be fixed just only loading the image when its needed, instead of loading all the images first and then using them as they come? I don't know how'd you go about doing that, but if its memory that you need that'll probably work.

Idunno, im guessing the RAM your talking about is like computer RAM.

Well you have to load all the images at the start of the script, otherwise if you try to load the image only when you need it theres a BIG slow down in the game, as its loading it.

But the trouble comes because every time you exit a script and load another the RAM still keeps every thing you've loaded in the previous script. So to get out of this you have to get rid of the images and sounds etc. from the RAM on exiting each script.

Its quite easy to do so just give me a shout when you need it doing and I'll tell you how.

D0N
April 17th, 2007, 22:38
Sweet DON, Thanks for the death sprites. :)

PSPKOR, as soon as mexicansnake post what the exact problem is on this "RAM" issue. Ill definitly give you a shout out for ideas on a fix.

No problem. :) So does this mean I'm still working with you then?

Buddy4point0
May 18th, 2007, 01:36
ok do you guys still have this problem?
cause if you do there is an easy fix.

it would go something like this

function cleanup()
image1 = nil
image2 = nil
image3 = nil
collectcarbage()
end

cleanup()

factor remix
May 18th, 2007, 17:01
I have found this...

EDIT: You allready have it... lol:D

parkermauney
May 18th, 2007, 22:53
This looks VERY nice. I would +rep you, but we must wait. :(

gunntims0103
May 19th, 2007, 15:25
ok do you guys still have this problem?
cause if you do there is an easy fix.

it would go something like this

function cleanup()
image1 = nil
image2 = nil
image3 = nil
collectcarbage()
end

cleanup()

Thanks so much. I never knew about the cleanup function. Ill try to implament it as soon as i can.

Thanks

Buddy4point0
May 19th, 2007, 16:56
Thanks so much. I never knew about the cleanup function. Ill try to implament it as soon as i can.

Thanks

the collect garbage function is a defualt set function that unloads all the images that are set to nil.

this sets the cleanup function so that your images you dont need are set to nil, then unloaded.
and im glad i could help.
if u need anymore help im pretty knolaglable because ive ran into most problems myself while codeing