PDA

View Full Version : Sony considers producing PS3 with larger hard drive

Shrygue
April 16th, 2007, 18:04
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24212)

A Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson has confirmed that the company is "considering" producing a new version of PlayStation 3 with a larger hard drive.

The comments come just weeks after Sony filed an FCC application which referred to an 80GB PS3. Currently 20GB and 60GB models are available in Japan, with SCEA recently announcing that the 20GB version is to be discontinued in North America.

According to Bloomberg, spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka said the decision is "in line with our strategy as we had planned to choose models based on consumer needs".

Bloomberg also reports that Sony is "considering introducing the model with a bigger hard disk", as stated by Fukuoka. He did not provide any further details.

An article published earlier by Reuters quoted a Nikkei Business report which says Sony Corp. will enjoy a five-fold increase in operating profits this year.

The spike will be due to increased sales of LCD TVs and better performance by Sony's games division, according to Nikkei. Last year the division lost an estimated YEN 200 billion (USD 1.67 billion).

Nikkei also claimed that Sony will boost PS3 shipments in 2007/08 to 10 million units - a rise of more than 65 per cent over the 6 million units the company aimed to ship by March 2007. However, speaking to Bloomberg, Sony later denied the report.

potatoman
April 16th, 2007, 20:47
coolio! but i just use a usb hub and disk so im not bothered...

Triv1um
April 16th, 2007, 20:51
Yeah, ive got a 60gb and a 400gb external hdd which is always linked up to my ps3 (mainly for linux)

I think 460gb is enough for me. :)

No need to produce any bigger ones, because its so easy to use external media, but its sony were talking about here, so they will do it for more money.

F9zDark
April 16th, 2007, 21:51
Well it would be a good way to get more consoles sold, but 80gigs is not enough. Sony would need to introduce a console with at least 150-250 gigabytes to really persuade anyone to buy it over the others. And besides, with the ease of installing a different hard-drive is there really any need for this?

paul1991
April 16th, 2007, 22:53
Sony never has done anything innovative. Charging you more for what you can do cheaper is the sony way.

PLZKLLME0080
April 16th, 2007, 23:15
wow, now how much will this one cost?