PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: IDIOT Thompson Blames Va Shooting on Games

wraggster
April 17th, 2007, 02:12
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php)

Yep, despite the fact that he's a known liar, infamous for threatening fellow attorneys and judges and is on the cusp of (one would hope) losing his license to practice law in Florida, Jack Thompson managed to weasel his way onto Fox News to spew his own particular brand of hate and lies.

That's right, Thompson is trying to link the worst shooting in U.S. history, the one that occurred earlier today at Virginia Tech, to video games.

What I love about this is that just about everything he says on live television is blatantly not true, like blaming video games on the Red Lake High School shooting.

It saddens me that filth like Jack can get on national television to gloat and revel in the deaths of so many and try to put it off as education.

More on the the terrible shootings over at http://blog.dcemu.co.uk

kcajblue
April 17th, 2007, 02:17
that dude really pisses me off.
blaming everything on games.
what an idiot.

DragonPimpsta
April 17th, 2007, 02:21
wtf, how is that shooting influenced by any video game?

the people that did the shooting killed themself after they killed all those people.. im pretty sure the guy on GTA wouldnt kill himself after going on a killing spree... no way is this GTA movitivated.. i dont even know if he meant GTA when you said he blames video games, but thats what came to my mind since he blamed it before.

PLZKLLME0080
April 17th, 2007, 02:21
we should start blaming everything on him. :mad:

Shadowblind
April 17th, 2007, 02:28
What a jerk...32 kids die becuase of one insane moron, and he tries to blame it on games... he shows no respect for those who were killed.

Anger
April 17th, 2007, 02:28
that moron just loves wading in to the deep end without thinking.
i wonder how long it will take before he becomes public enemy number 1.
is it possible for one person to be so retarded and yet in such a high end profession? i mean i thought lawyers had codes of conduct. he is the epitome of everything you hate about lawyers - times 10.
i mean i really cant think of a good, nice or kind thing to say about this freak.
he attacks anyone and everything like a brick through a window. hes the most insensitive asshole on the face of gods green earth, and this latest comment just proves it. people like that shouldnt be allowed to breed, and no i dont mean all lawyers as there are some genuinely nice ones, just the ones that hate everything for no good reason at all.

wolfpack
April 17th, 2007, 02:30
what a dumbass!

PLZKLLME0080
April 17th, 2007, 02:30
hes the most insensitive asshole on the face of gods green earth

agreed.

Shadowblind
April 17th, 2007, 02:31
Why did this killing have to happen?....

Thompson, there to make worse what can't be made any worse...

Basil Zero
April 17th, 2007, 04:54
I knew this would happen, as soon as i flipped the news channel i watch(CNN), this morning i heard the headlines about the shooting, and thought to myself: "Oh boy, here's another reason for Jack Thompson to lie even more".

Also, another reason why I dont watch Fox News, their so desperate, they would get anyone on their News network, even a hateful person like Jack thompson.

Uberman
April 17th, 2007, 05:12
Well, after all, it is FOX News. Keep watching. They'll probably have somebody on soon who will discredit Thompson by directly link the shootings to Roe vs. Wade. :mad:

darkspectorXP
April 17th, 2007, 05:35
According to my brother, he had once again made a reference to this study:
http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html
Full version of the study results (requires Acrobat Reader):
http://www.apa.org/journals/features/psp784772.pdf
Here is Jack Thompson's Wikipedia Article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)
And here is his Florida Bar Association License:
http://www.floridabar.org/names.nsf/All/07D079003898F95585256A830051348B?OpenDocument
Just for kicks, I had found this:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-cseidlin23feb23,0,3083996.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
It says that Jack Thompson is filing a complaint against Judge Seidlin on his handling of his portion of the Anna Nicole Smith case.
Ben

ExcruciationX
April 17th, 2007, 05:45
That son-of-a-bitch! :mad:

33 people die, and this blood-sucking bread crum has to suck up glory for himself. It shows how cold people in the U.S government are.

emuking
April 17th, 2007, 07:27
whoa jack thompson is a crazy ****

emuking
April 17th, 2007, 07:29
dont post any more news on him your giving the dick way too much attention which is what he wants

Harshboy
April 17th, 2007, 11:39
I hope he reads this stuff because you Jack Thompson, are an asswipe

valtiel
April 17th, 2007, 12:38
Guns dont kill people, kids who play videogames kill people! :D

Cloudhunter
April 17th, 2007, 13:01
I'm sorry about the language (even though I'm pretty sure the work filter will remove it) but FOR ****S SAKE!!!

I understand that Jack Thompson has an agenda, but does he really have to blame everything on Video Games? As yet, the gun-man's identity isn't known... so how the **** can he blame it on video games?

It's like saying "Suicide bombers and terrorists attack Iraq and America because of video games!". Although, give him time...

It is a deep disrespect to every single student who is/was at VA tech, and their families.

Mr Jack Thompson, I hope you choke.

My deepest respect to the students, their families and their friends.

Cloudy

R4mbo
April 17th, 2007, 13:26
I'm from Germany, where the most politicians blame everything on video-games, but i never heard of so stupid people can talk stupid shit on us-tv. A stupid politician from germany "Günther Beckstein" has compared Gamers with psychos and pedophiles.

gronne
April 17th, 2007, 13:31
There are too many factors involved to simply blame it all on games, but I WILL say that games may have had an impact big enough on this horrible act to not rule it out in the equation. My belief would be a combination of a psychological issue of some kind(main), earlier school-shootings that have inspired and last but not least - videogames. EVERYTHING we do in life affects us in one way or the other.

If you believe violent video games have absolutely no impact on you at all, you're ludicrous and actually irresponsible by denying it. If games didn't affect you, you wouldn't play them at all. You play them BECAUSE they affect you.

Nightmarus
April 17th, 2007, 16:41
Games,everything affect us..thats true or we wouldnt play them...BUT ALSO, I think we can still see the difference between reality and virtuality. I really love DBZ since I was a kid, but I wouldn't dare to jump from a building just to try flying like goku, I knew the consequences,If I jump I would die.

Thompson please respect the ones who died....
Thompson is also psycho, he is blaming everything because of games. Shouldn't he also blame books,movies?

Brouhaha
April 17th, 2007, 19:41
There are too many factors involved to simply blame it all on games, but I WILL say that games may have had an impact big enough on this horrible act to not rule it out in the equation. My belief would be a combination of a psychological issue of some kind(main), earlier school-shootings that have inspired and last but not least - videogames. EVERYTHING we do in life affects us in one way or the other.

If you believe violent video games have absolutely no impact on you at all, you're ludicrous and actually irresponsible by denying it. If games didn't affect you, you wouldn't play them at all. You play them BECAUSE they affect you.

Smartest post on the subject yet. Reflects my thoughts.

Cloud_35
April 17th, 2007, 22:54
This isn't new, they blamed DOOM for the Columbine masacre, the guys where a lot in that stuff. But anyway, it's the GAME and the time you play it, not all the games and all the situatons (try to blame Mario for the behaviour of an insane Korean killer).

EDIT - For gronne's post, i agree. There are some games that I'm honestly afraid to play for what I've seen they do to other people. I had a friend whicha also was a lot in doom, he sometimes freaked me out a little (tried to use EVERYTHING as a gun, made weird sounds out of nothing....). I only got nausea after I play doom, and I stay with that :).

darkspectorXP
April 18th, 2007, 00:49
I had seen a CSI Miami episode that tried to tie video games to a crime, it had to do with a GTA style PC game, when a FBI PC technician character played through the game, he saw some pretty disturbing stuff, including bank robberies where the player takes part in the bank robbery. Now, Dr. Phil McGraw is taking Jack Thompson's part. Read here:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Of-Virginia-Tech-Dr-Phil-and-mass-murderers-a-personal-stand/pg/49/aid/89666
I have been playing Doom since Middle School, I own the complete Doom Trilogy CD-ROM complation and the SNES cart of Doom 1 and I have Tourette's Snrome and OCD and I do things like a normal person.
Ben

Thanatos 2.0
April 18th, 2007, 01:00
It really saddens me that there are people like this who would take advantage of the unjust deaths of 33 People and try to use it to take down something he doesn't like.

but it just shows another problem in our overgrowing list of world problems.

PLZKLLME0080
April 18th, 2007, 01:00
I'm gonna be this guy for Holloween.

Dull Blade
April 18th, 2007, 03:47
What a jerk, honestly. Why would you blame this on video games. For all i know (as of yesterday) he could of been doing in the name of "Allah" (No offense to any asian partys reading, I realize that only a small group of people Muslim religion are extreamist). I sure this guys final thoughts b4 the*shooting were "Yes, I can finally play GTA for real" (says in sarcastic voice). The idiosy that spews out of the man in baffling.

ish420ism
February 21st, 2008, 03:20
I think JT makes a valid argument. These mass shootings were not happening 15 years ago. In fact, the U.S. population wouldn't stand for suicidal mass killers 15 years ago.

These killer simulators were first introduced to the millitary sector and after, formated for a commercial market.

Now look who is defending these simulators..NBC, the mass media, big financial corperations. Step back and look at the bigger picture.

Also, look at how a lot of these people defend their culture, but when it comes time to defend the stability of the nation, People are nowhere to be found.
just an IDEA

Anger
February 21st, 2008, 06:33
theres a few reasons why this is happening more often now - a small part and i do mean small is the games, but as you say, step back and take a look at the bigger picture.
firstly the teens are getting away with a shit load more than they used to - this creates boredom which leads to insanity. please try and tell me these mass killers/suciders/whatever are not clinically or pathologically insane.
then of course another small part is the ability to get guns in almost any state - even getting them from one state and going to another. now i do agree that the big corps are defending the games but the reason is because they make money from them (directly or indirectly, advertising, news, entertainment etc.). the games makers are also not being held accountable for the products they are releasing but more than that the parents are letting there kids buy these games without a second thought - young minds are impresionable. the fault is mostly with the parents and blaming games as a whole is ridiculous.
my parents when i was growing up never really let me see anything above my age rating, now i am more than old enough to decide for myself what i can and cant play. the same should be true of kids these days, but it simply isnt. these kids that go on a massacre spree have shown signs of mental illness that was passed over because people either dont want to see it or dont know what it is or even dont care that its happening - like being behind blinkers. the fault lies squarely at the feet of parents and teachers alike, with a small proviso of blame for the goverment allowing the sales of mature games to minors and to games makers not having to be carefull what they make and/or who they sell it to.

Cloudhunter
February 21st, 2008, 16:01
These killer simulators were first introduced to the millitary sector and after, formated for a commercial market.

Actually, games like DOOM where there first.

Besides, who says it'd be a video game thing? Movie's are way more violent than video games - and I don't see him campaigning against them.

He's just prejudiced against games.

Cloudy

JKKDARK
February 22nd, 2008, 19:23
Oh this person Jack thompson is annoying as hell, he should stop acting like an idiot. No one will believe him.