PDA

View Full Version : 125 Hour Community Service Order for Repeat Home Counterfeiter

wraggster
April 17th, 2007, 16:32
A man who was prosecuted after being caught in his home with over 800 illegally copied Xbox and PlayStation games, as well as hundreds of copied films and TV programmes, was sentenced on Tuesday 10th April to a 125 hour Community Service Order for contravening the Copyright Designs and Patents Act (1988) and the Trade Marks Act (1994).

John Hamilton, 43, of Caledonia Road in Ayr, who already has previous convictions for similar offences, was exposed after selling copied games to an undercover investigator in an Internet forum. Despite using his mother-in-law’s sheltered housing address in Ayr for ‘returns’ and an anonymous email account, Hamilton was unaware that his ‘buyer’ was an ELSPA Internet investigator.

Hamilton’s activities led to South Ayrshire’s Trading Standards Service being tipped-off and ELSPA investigations into on-line accounts led Officers straight to his door for the second time in less than three years. Trading Standards Officers and an ELSPA investigator assisted Strathclyde Police as they Searched Hamilton’s premises and garden shed. The swoop revealed illegally copied stock, two PC containing disc-burning software, spools of blank DVDs and boxes of padded envelopes.

Michael Rawlinson, managing director of ELSPA commented: “Our investigations will continue to monitor the markets and work closely with our Trading Standards partners in stamping out counterfeiting. The simple fact about piracy is that it is illegal and punishable by fines, Community Service and jail sentences. No matter which way you look at counterfeiting it is nothing more than theft. Counterfeiters are only out for one thing: money. And because of this consumers who buy counterfeit games have no recourse under law for faulty goods.”

Commenting on the case, a spokesperson for South Ayrshire Trading Standards said: “This case is part of an on-going clampdown on those who sell counterfeit goods in our Community. Whether directly through markets and street trading, or even on-line from the comfort of their own PC, we will investigate and prosecute those who sell fakes that shake consumer confidence and badly dent the revenues of legal sellers. This case also shows that those who believe that they can use the Internet to freely download and sell illegal films and games should think again. People may think that because they don’t set foot outside to sell fakes that they are not going to get caught, but you never know who your buyers might be, or who they’ll tell. Officers from Strathclyde Police or Trading Standards can search homes and take away a persons stock and their PC.”

cozy
April 17th, 2007, 17:15
Well thay should drop the price of games ect... and people would not buy copies :)

kaffie
April 17th, 2007, 17:46
Most people would not be able to afford to switch their computers on if they paid for everything on it. I dont have much of a problem with that as much software & games and highly overpriced and in many cases just crap.

If I use it I try to buy it. Maybe not the same week I got it but I get around to it as soon as I can.

However, people selling copies of games and software are just profiteering filth and deserve all they get.

Psyberjock
April 17th, 2007, 18:43
However, people selling copies of games and software are just profiteering filth and deserve all they get.

Agreed! Except for the RIAA bastards who sue grandmothers who know nothing of computers, you only get in trouble if you sell copies.

Thanatos 2.0
April 18th, 2007, 00:54
This guy deserved it Selling Copies, It is completely dispicable selling burnt copies of a game, I can't really stop them from getting it themselves but if you can't just don't

Joe88
April 18th, 2007, 01:52
thats all the punishment ???

at least hit him with a $100,000 fine http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3346/rollsy0.png

UchihaSasuke
April 18th, 2007, 02:00
thats all the punishment ???

at least hit him with a $100,000 fine http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3346/rollsy0.png

For real

ab88
April 18th, 2007, 04:20
That's nothing he should have been sent to jail at least, not even worth the time of the investigator... :\

homebrew1973
April 18th, 2007, 21:12
The biggest counterfeiters in the world are banks, they produce money that does not, has not and never will exist out of thin air and then charge interest on it 24/7.

How many of you knew that it`s actually illegal to use VCRs to record TV programmes? On that basis most of the world`s guilty....

Joe88
April 18th, 2007, 23:03
The biggest counterfeiters in the world are banks, they produce money that does not, has not and never will exist out of thin air and then charge interest on it 24/7.

How many of you knew that it`s actually illegal to use VCRs to record TV programmes? On that basis most of the world`s guilty....

well dur
violation of digital copyright act

however its not enforced by any means ...

kalhalla
April 19th, 2007, 02:14

Yes but how many of those people then turn around and sell those recorded programs?

Not very many, if at all.

ryan2006
April 19th, 2007, 02:26
the guy was lucky though game prices are to high i heard that game shops purchase the games off the games company for like 10% of what they sell them at soo that means they make 90% profit and the developers make 10% doesnt seem right to me

quzar
April 19th, 2007, 06:25

No, it's not. It's called timespanning and was taken to court in the early days of vhs and betamax. By that reasoning TiVos would be illegal ;)