PDA

View Full Version : Sony boss hails Euro PS3 launch a success

wraggster
April 17th, 2007, 21:21
The success of PlayStation 3 in Europe has rescued the console from "the perception wars" that hit sales in Japan, says Sony's boss, Sir Howard Stringer.

"I think [in] the first two days in the UK, £100m ($199m) revenue changed hands and that's probably the largest consumer electronics sale in history," he told the FT. Stringer said that PS3 had entered the Euro market with "more games and, perhaps we lived up to the expectations in Europe in a way that perhaps we didn't in Japan".

Analysts expect Sony to start making some money back on the console next March, "In the March quarter of 2008, Sony will start making money on the console," said Yuji Fujimori, analyst at Goldman Sachs. "In the longer term, I see the PS3's market share at 50 per cent within three years. In the shorter term, I see it at below 30 per cent."

We reported yesterday that Japanese analysts wanted to see a PS3 price cut sooner rather than later.

It's also strange to see such claims when there are reports doing the rounds that your European office is about to lay off 160 people.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162113)