PDA

View Full Version : PSP-Devolution Flashmod Released. Works on all PSPs

burrito
April 17th, 2007, 23:25
via PSP Devolution Official Site (http://psp-devolution.com/)

Sorry guys for taking longer than expected but there had some important improvements to be done in order to make the PSP-Devolution the top addon for your Playstation Portable system.

We are now using 4 layer technology for the PSP-Devolution which results in even smaller size. This way it fits just perfect into the PSP.

Here is a picture of an installed PSP-Devolution with our very sofosticated Flex-PCB. We made it an extra big resolution so you can see our cool solution of connecting the PSP-Devolution to the PSP's mainboard.

http://psp-devolution.com/devolution_inst_sm.jpg
Large image (http://www.psp-devolution.com/devolution_inst_hirez.JPG)

http://www.psp-devolution.com/pspdev_f_m.jpghttp://www.psp-devolution.com/pspdev_b_m.jpg

Sales to the resellers of the PSP-Devolution will start between April 16th and April 20th, 2007.

All resellers that have contacted us in the past will automatically receive an email from us on the above mentioned date. New inquiries are welcome, too.

We need to release two different versions of the PSP-Devolution. Thats's a 3.3V version for ta79 - ta81 boards and and a 1.8V version for all ta-82+ boards. This problem couldnt have been solved by a simple jumper on the pcb because we need to set the output values before programming the ACTEL ICs.

Features:

- Flash your PSP using the internal USB Port

- no additional USB Port required

- latest ACTEL ProASIC 3 technology

- NO power consumption

- doesn't touch the battery power in any way, powered by USB for the time being used to flash the PSP

- preassembled hi-tech flex pcb for easiest possible conection to the psp mainboard

- works on all available PSP versions incl. the new TA-082 and TA-086

- custom BIOS with a lot of cool additional features (tba)

PSP-DEVOLUTION IS NOT A MODCHIP. IT IS A PRETTY SOPHISTICATED USB-JTAG PROGRAMMER FOR A LOT OF NAND FLASH ICs. FROM OR POINT OF VIEW IT DOES NOT HARM ANY COPYRIGHT LAWS.

It looks much easier to install than the old modchip, works on all psps, and they said it should retail for around 55 euros.
I haven't seen it for sale yet, but it has been shipped to retailers. :)

Nicko01
April 18th, 2007, 00:05
Does this dual boot like UP? It says its not a modchip, just a chip programmer....

Buddy4point0
April 18th, 2007, 00:44
sweet. is this better than UP? and does it dual boot?

M-Lin
April 18th, 2007, 01:03
is it compatible with up? that could be ****** quite good!

psp411
April 18th, 2007, 01:04
to clear any confusion, its a chip that lets you access the nand everytime without any software i.e recovery mode (or at least thats what i understood from reading it). this ensures that no matter what you do to your psp's nand, you can recover it from a brick... i personally am getting one of these... from the looks of it, they werent lying when they said it was a 6-7 in difficulty in installation compared to the U.P :D :cool:

Gene
April 18th, 2007, 01:16
looks like for the most part it's hot glued on. So in other words, looks like my kind of chip. Nothing that could kill my motherboard and i'm all for it.

Although, 55 euros is a bit on the pricey side, so i might wait a few months.

siulmagic
April 18th, 2007, 01:49
interesting

bah
April 18th, 2007, 06:51
From the post I would say no, this does not have a dual boot function like the UP.

It does not contain additional flash ram to hold another firmware, it just allows you to program the PSP's existing flash without having to boot the PSP.

KuLeD00d
April 18th, 2007, 09:08
Agreed, what I got from reading this. was it allowed you to access flash(0/1) USB-wise without having to use OE firmware. So this is our next step in downgrading, as it would allow us to wipe any firmware off any psp as we can write directly. We could simply get an install of a desired firmware off a psp of the same model.

blaz3d
April 18th, 2007, 11:07
i just hope this is noob friendly, U.P was for pro's and i couldn't find any decent guides for taking the psp apart. hope its easily uninstallable aswell, cause you wouldnt really want it after getting OE's usb mounted flash:)

peace

Camelot
April 18th, 2007, 13:54
Modchips have always been the alternative to getting a downgradable psp. UP and other mod chips were much to difficult for new users to intall so modchips were rarely used for downgrading. If this thing is really much simpler then UP and other modchips then there could be new hope for those with 3.10+ fw that are willing to shell out some money.

But in the long run, UP is still a much better deal if you are capable of installing it. In my opinoin.

jools
April 18th, 2007, 16:31
so this is more of a downgrading tool and not a mod chip

S34MU5
April 18th, 2007, 16:41
nice one, I might get back into fixing PSP's and fitting this...

Shrygue
April 18th, 2007, 19:55
So this chips is out huh? I migh get this to fix one of my bricked PSP units...

Nicko01
April 18th, 2007, 23:21
people who said that UP sucks and is only good for fixing bricks, compare it to this. this doesn't even have a dual boot function.
This IS still good though. I like it that 3.10+ ta-082+'s can now downgrade with this. also, this is great becuse of how much cheaper it is (I'm talking about for installation too).
I already have UP, so i don't need this, but it is cool. I wish UP could use the psp's usb.... that annoying little tab in the batter compartment is hard to get to connect after connecting it multiple times...

burrito
April 18th, 2007, 23:44
The main reason for this is to downgrade a psp with any firmware and any motherboard. The site says that the TA-079/81 devolution-chip and the TA-082/86 devolution-chip are 2 different products.

NoQuarter
April 18th, 2007, 23:53
Let's not forget this will allow recovery of bricks which is what I'm hoping for :)

zelhera
April 19th, 2007, 04:46
So when exactly can we see sales start at resellers' sites? And which resellers are actually participating? E-Mail sent to [email protected] but no replies since 4/16/07. Perhaps busy? Still waiting on answer.

XioN980
April 19th, 2007, 14:03
this is essentially exactly the same as undiluted platinum it solders to exactly the same traces but it uses an fpc cable instea of wires making it easier in that sense but the risky joins are done using bulky kynar wire

zelhera
April 19th, 2007, 14:29
I wonder how that's going to work, soldering the cable onto the board...since one side is clearly plastic and can melt. Installation may not be any easier, but will probably be safer than the U.P. installation.

Checked with Mod-chip.com and the sales rep told me you could pre-order the chip in a few days- thought they would have it already in their inventory by now. Guess not.

burrito
April 19th, 2007, 21:19
I sent mod-chip.com an email.

My email:

Are you going to be selling a new product called PSP-Devolution? If you are going to be selling this, how much will it cost, and when will you start shipping?

Response:

Yes, we will get it in about 2 weeks.
The price will be around $70

Regards,
Ostermann