PDA

View Full Version : Play PSone games on PS3 with new firmware update

wraggster
April 19th, 2007, 17:12
Sony has released a new PS3 firmware update that allows US and Japanese owners to play their downloaded PSone games on the PS3.

Previously, downloaded PSone games were only compatible with PSP. But the new firmware, which is now at version 1.7, lets certain games also work on PS3.

From what we can make out on the official Japanese website, PS3-compatible PSone games will go live from April 26.

The best thing is that the PSone save files are also transferable so, for example, you could start an adventure on your PS3, then transfer the game and save file to your PSP and continue on the move.
Surprising, the firmware update prompt also appears on European PS3s, suggesting that the PSone game download service, which is currently only available in the US and Japan, might soon make its way to Europe.

The update reportedly also enables rumble support when playing PSone and PS2 games for Dual Shock pads plugged into the PS3 via a USB adaptor.

We're awaiting confirmation from Sony.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162280)

jwilds73
April 19th, 2007, 17:34
So I can't play the original PSOne games I own on my PS3? Or via an official tool convert them to run on my PSP? But I can rebuy only the ones currently released (many of which I own original PSX discs of) and not unrepublishable due to copyright laws and play them for a price. Woohoo! Screw you Sony.

pkmaximum
April 19th, 2007, 17:39
SONY always has ways of amazing its customers to get more bang for YOUR buck.

I'll stick with my PSP emulating the PS1, and if someone exploited the PS3 like honestly how hard would it be getting a full speed ps1 emulator anyway. I honestly think the PS3 would have no problem either emulating the ps2... seeming how the 360 emulates the x-box which was much more powerful than ps2 in terms of processor.

porchemasi
April 19th, 2007, 17:42
Wait Does This Mean Converted Ps1 Isos Via Popstation Will Also Work??????? Sumone Release A Tool To Transfer Files To He Ps3 Hdd

Apoklepz
April 19th, 2007, 17:47
Wait Does This Mean Converted Ps1 Isos Via Popstation Will Also Work??????? Sumone Release A Tool To Transfer Files To He Ps3 Hdd

For starters, Pops converted isos don't work on the official PSP SONY firmwares so let's not get ahead of ourselves there, chaperoo. ;)

Anyways, I didn't know the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible with PSOne games....That makes me want to buy it less now. I own 74 original Playstation first generation CD's...what am I supposed to do with them if I sell my PS2 to get a PS3?

Pops it is!

Accordion
April 19th, 2007, 17:50

seeing as current psone downloads will not play on ps3, requiring a redownload to play on ps3 and psp, i highly doubt that would work, it seems as of 3.40 and 1.70 the psone game support will change completely.

Airdevil
April 19th, 2007, 19:10
How ive read this report, i get the impression that sony expect us to buy the game twice if you want it on the home console and on the psp.

talk about being awkward.

The King
April 19th, 2007, 19:15
dam sony is on the move aggain to steal money of hard working people

wat will it take for them to understand wat we like and how we fell wen they come up with this B*** S***

Buddy4point0
April 19th, 2007, 20:04
i didnt know the psp couldnt play ps1 games. lol. there are alot of good ps1 games.

knownX
April 19th, 2007, 20:33
where have you been man

DarthPaul
April 19th, 2007, 20:41
PS3 Rule!

alucard001
April 19th, 2007, 21:33
PS3 Rule!

totaly agree

Hiei311
April 19th, 2007, 22:27
ok
1.) dont jump to conclustions the "already" downloads ps1 games will work with ur damn update no need to re buy
2.)ps3 can play ps1 games i dont know were u get that

and the ps1 store is cheap like 10-15 $ right??? cuz ill just sell the games they already have and rebuy them so faster load times
my summer is gonna rock with a new ps3 and my own wii (bro wont let me play his)

Basil Zero
April 20th, 2007, 00:16
So I can't play the original PSOne games I own on my PS3? Or via an official tool convert them to run on my PSP? But I can rebuy only the ones currently released (many of which I own original PSX discs of) and not unrepublishable due to copyright laws and play them for a price. Woohoo! Screw you Sony.

PS1 Cds should be replayable

Joe88
April 20th, 2007, 02:32
Anyways, I didn't know the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible with PSOne games....That makes me want to buy it less now. I own 74 original Playstation first generation CD's...what am I supposed to do with them if I sell my PS2 to get a PS3?

Pops it is!

only UK PS3 doesnt play them because of the removed emotion engine PS2 CPU

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2007, 03:15
no compatibility for PSX discs? That really sucks

Welshboy
April 20th, 2007, 03:32
Why? what is the point of this?.........its not even news, I mean come on! playing PS1 games on a PSP? oh wow! tell you what sony, you keep updating the emu yeah? like a good company would do. Ha Ha!.....if only more people tapped into the unparalleled source of there PSP as opposed to having custom firmware.

jonezybaby
April 20th, 2007, 13:07
wat wat wat? if PSOne games are unplayable is my machine totally fukin rockin? cus all of my PSOne games are playable and i have a UK PS3 and UK PSOne Discs!!