PDA

View Full Version : PS Network hits 1.3 million users

wraggster
April 20th, 2007, 13:16
In news that will no-doubt turn the heat-up in the Xbox Live board room, Sony has said that its free-of charge PlayStation Network online service has reached 1.3 million users worldwide.

The news comes from SCEA's senior director of PR Dave Karraker, who told Gamespot that of those 1.3 million users 600,000 signed up in North America where Sony has shipped over 2 million consoles.

Worldwide some 3.7 million pieces of content have been downloaded from the PS3 online service, though the Sony PR man didn't specify how much of the number is download games.

Of course this is still a ways off Xbox Live's 6 million registered users who have clocked up over 25 million Xbox Live Arcade downloads to date. Though considering Sony's service is free of charge unlike Xbox Live, we can imagine the PS Network catching up pretty soon.

Yesterday Sony released the 1.7 PS3 firmware update, which lets you play PSOne games on your PS3, though there's none to download yet...

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162347)

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2007, 13:34
Xbox Live forever! :)

Accordion
April 20th, 2007, 15:24
i wonder how many people have multiple accounts to take advantage of the demos and vidoes that dont appear in other regions?

i have a europe, US and hong kong account, and i download from all three.

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2007, 15:32
i wonder how many people have multiple accounts to take advantage of the demos and vidoes that dont appear in other regions?

i have a europe, US and hong kong account, and i download from all three.

you can get an american/japanese account even if your PS3 is european? :confused:

Accordion
April 20th, 2007, 19:26
you can get an american/japanese account even if your PS3 is european? :confused:

yes!

the console firmwares are exactly the same[except for ps2 emulation, which i believe is present in all firmware]

all you need to do is create separate users for each region you wish to use. as you can only have one PSN ID for each user
[the user logins only separate game saves, and psn ID, all other content is universal]

once you have a new user, you can make a new PSN account, which will let you enter all the account information including country. whichever country you enter will be the store you have access to.

the hardest part is using google to find an address to enter for each region. [i chose fast food stores for both US and HK]

when you boot the console you then have the option to chose which user you want to login as. but you can also switch users at any time on the XMB. best of all the download management is independent of user, so i can start downloading from the US store, change back to the euro store and download some more from there.

i have 4 user logins, 1:my name[euro], 2:Family[euro], 3: USA, 4:H.K.

The King
April 20th, 2007, 19:38
wow seems like sonys free of charge internet will be good

a very good fight is starting up here but also dont forget about the wii its internet is free to and would start to catch up in the downloads

i remember reading some were that the wii can download previous nintendo consols games i wonder if this is true

Shadowblind
April 20th, 2007, 19:42
Im getting sick of Live being charged... I may have to organize the revolt soon.

jdnation
April 20th, 2007, 19:47
i remember reading some were that the wii can download previous nintendo consols games i wonder if this is true

You mean you don't know? :eek:

It's called the Virtual Console and you can download games from all Nintendo's previous consoles including some from, I think, Sega Genesis and Saturn and even the Neo Geo, MSX, Atari etc. Don't know who's involved but it's ever growing!

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2007, 23:55
You mean you don't know? :eek:

It's called the Virtual Console and you can download games from all Nintendo's previous consoles including some from, I think, Sega Genesis and Saturn and even the Neo Geo, MSX, Atari etc. Don't know who's involved but it's ever growing!

you mean you're also a noob? :p

You can download NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and PC-Engine games via the Virtual Console. Saturn and Neo Geo are not included.