PDA

View Full Version : Review: Loud Speaker Dock

bandit
April 21st, 2007, 04:02
Loud Speaker Dock
Manufacturer: PantherLord
Site: Buy from Brando (http://videogame.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00374&dept_id=008&cat_id=021)
Price: $17.00

Overview : Do you feel the sound from your NDS Lite is too Quiet? You always can't listen very clear. This Speaker Dock can help you.

This speaker dock comes with 2 loud speakers which can improve the sound volume and quality, and it include a NDS Lite Li-ion, that can be charged with your NDS Lite AC adapter.

Features :

Specify design to NDS Lite
Improve your NDS Lite sound quality
Included NDS Lite Li-ion 3.7V 1000mAh battery
It can be charged with your NDS Lite adapter * The AC adapter is not included
Available in white, enamel navy, light blue, pink and black

Quality/Usability : When I bought the original Nintendo DS, I thought it couldnt get any better than that with the dual screen and great sound. Then Nintendo goes and releases a Nintendo DS Lite with a better brighter screen but theres a problem, the sound didnt sound so great. It was lower even at full volume. The original DS trumped the DS Lite in sound and I was disappointed.

The Loud Speaker Dock runs on a rechargeable battery (included). It goes on the underside, between the two speakers. On the underside, there is also a plug that connects to the headphone jack of the DS Lite. When the plug is not in use, it is hidden in a groove next to one of the speakers.

The front of the dock has a switch. If the switch is on the left, it is the speaker. If the switch is on the right, it is OFF. If an AC adapter is plugged in while the switch is on the right, it will charge the battery. To the right of the dock are two LEDs (power and charge).

There is nothing to clip the DS to the dock. It is held in place by the tightness of the dock when the DS is placed. When the DS is placed onto the dock, accessing SLOT-2, volume switch and headphone jack can be reached easily. Accessing SLOT-1 is also easily accessible as well. There is an opening on the right side of the dock for the power switch. Unfortunately, in order to get access to the stylus, you will have to remove and DS from the dock.

The volume on the dock is very very loud. I was impressed by the loudness of the dock. The sound is clear even at the highest level. Adjusting the volume is done on the DS. There is no volume adjuster on the dock. The dock lasted a good 2-3 hours with on and off play.

Conclusion : Overall, the Loud Speaker Dock is a pretty good alternative for those who want a louder DS Lite. With the added thickness, it feels good in the hands. It would of been nice if it was able to charge your DS as well. Having to gain access or putting the stylus away can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Battery life is decent as well.

Images via comments

kcajblue
April 21st, 2007, 04:41
i dont care how loud it is.
if its that huge.
im gonna stay away from it.

Shazmo
April 21st, 2007, 05:38
ugggglllllly!!!!
why would you pay 17 US for an adapter than basically makes a DS Lite into a DS Phat???

could be good for playing EBA though, the DS Lite is a bit too small and the sound is pretty bad (unless you use headphones)

kcajblue
April 21st, 2007, 05:42
not even for EBA.

maybe for music. but definitely not for any games.

Fantasma
April 21st, 2007, 09:05
You guys have see those FM MP3 transmitters that you can attach to the audio outlet of your mp3 player and then find the signal on a prescribed station on FM? Well you can also attach it to your ds and tune in to your entertainment system and blast whatever game you are playing. Hell, you can even bang it on your ride while drinking your gin and juice - laid back.

Xcliber
April 21st, 2007, 14:29
I'll use headphones...

Getting BOSE headphones soon ;)

bandit
April 21st, 2007, 17:25
You guys have see those FM MP3 transmitters that you can attach to the audio outlet of your mp3 player and then find the signal on a prescribed station on FM? Well you can also attach it to your ds and tune in to your entertainment system and blast whatever game you are playing. Hell, you can even bang it on your ride while drinking your gin and juice - laid back.
Those FM transmitter things suck. They work but arent loud enough. You have to turn the volume on radio all the way in order to hear it. Not to mention you'll hear static.

Fantasma
April 21st, 2007, 20:49
I've found finding a radio station in the 100's to diminish static (this wont work in a big metro area with tons of radio stations hogging that range). Plus the Irock! that I have is much better from previous versions that I tried...

Category
April 21st, 2007, 20:56
Am I the only person who thinks this is kinda cool? Sure, it may be chunky, but it may give the ds a little more substance, for big handed people like myself. Plus, those FM transmitter things just suck...

This way it can be louder ANYWHERE! And that would be useful, so I could have a better idea what was going on in my tunes on nitrotracker.

I may actually buy one on payday!

bandit
April 23rd, 2007, 03:36
I've found finding a radio station in the 100's to diminish static (this wont work in a big metro area with tons of radio stations hogging that range). Plus the Irock! that I have is much better from previous versions that I tried...
I live in NYC so alot of radio stations are in the 100's. I tried Belkin and cheap brands..both the same.

Am I the only person who thinks this is kinda cool? Sure, it may be chunky, but it may give the ds a little more substance, for big handed people like myself. Plus, those FM transmitter things just suck...

This way it can be louder ANYWHERE! And that would be useful, so I could have a better idea what was going on in my tunes on nitrotracker.

I may actually buy one on payday!
The item isnt bad at all. It will definitely be heard in a noisy area. As mentioned, the DS Lite's volume is definitely lower than that of the original DS which I was disappointed. When I got the DS Lite, I thought it was defective until I scoured the web and found out it was like that.

Brainy142
January 5th, 2008, 00:24
In new cars you can use the headphone jack :P