PDA

View Full Version : Futuristic 3D racer

wraggster
April 21st, 2007, 22:57
News/release from Rajveer: (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13042&sid=96ef090e955de9456653f4df13c24f7b)

Hi guys. For my 3rd year Comp Sci project (and an excuse to learn C programming), I've been trying to create a racing game for the Nintendo DS. I haven't done much programming before this (a few Java examples in my 1st year and Visual Basic in college). Not much has been implemented when compared to what I wanted and it's REALLY SIMPLE, at the moment it's just a ship which can be moved along a single track, but hopefully I aim to one day evolve this into a full game! I'd like some criticism and thoughts, keeping in mind that I've never programmed anything properly before and that this is my first real foray into coding and game development :)

P.S. If you mind me using your reply for evaluation purposes in my project, please let me know and I won't use it!!

Controls:

Ship Selection Screen:
* Left and Right - Select Ship
* A - Confirm Selection

Main Game:

* Y - Accelerate
* B - Brake
* A - Manual Grip
* L - Strafe Left
* R - Strafe Right
* Left and Right - Turn
* Select - Reset ship position
* Start - Render Skybox On/Off (With the skybox on, you can see the graphical direction I was going for, but not the track ;) I'll fix this later)

* A box is rendered to show the direction that the ship is moving in.
* ManualGrip defines whether or not the ship will attempt to counteract the ship moving in a direction away from where it's nose is pointing. Will be useful in the future for turning at sharp edges in hairpin turns without slowing right down. Play around with it when not accelerating!

Problems:

* The track can't be seen when the skybox is being rendered.
* The camera jerks sometimes, will be fixed.
* Sometimes when the ship falls off the track and replaced on it, it doesn't get rotated properly and starts jerking. For the moment reset with Select.

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

TeenDev
April 21st, 2007, 23:15
oooo.... i loves 3D!

toymin80r
April 22nd, 2007, 19:59
i got to try it then

Buddy4point0
April 23rd, 2007, 10:44
very nice 3d. i just tryed it

thisone23
July 9th, 2007, 18:53
Wow! The graphics on this game are amazing. Just add music, more tracks, power ups, and AI and you've got yourself a full game. It works with Max media 4gb.

SHACKR
December 2nd, 2007, 21:02
Can you get screenshots for it?

eliasx
December 3rd, 2007, 04:48
this game is alot like FZERO. thats one game i really want nintendo to redo for DS. this one plays alot like it. I hope to play a more finished build soon.

Roguemango
December 5th, 2007, 11:20
This has incredible potential. Like this one said just add some more tracks AI and some more cars and this will be an amazing game.

DanTheManMS
December 12th, 2007, 23:30
I think (though I'm not positive) that this went on to become Whee! DS. Check out that game if you're interested in a 3D racer game.