PDA

View Full Version : Sony Are Not The Enemy

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 18:59
I have wrote this story exclusivly for Dcemu because i feel the site needs news articles from inside the site too, to go along with external news.

Sony, what do we know about them?

They created the Sony PSP for one thing, but many users hate them.

Users say that Sony are denying them the right to use the hardware that they payed for to its full potential. But are they? No.

Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured.

So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal playing of ISO's and PS1 games from your memory stick, they release another update that fixes the leak.

Lets look at it from Sony's point of view, they make there money on software sales not hardware sales.
So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal use of software on it they are loosing money.

And because its a fine line between homebrew and Iso loading they have to block them both out of there official firmware, so they don't loose out on software sales.

Another side to it is Emulators, now the majority of emulators are legal, but another interesting legality issue has arisen.

Say Sony decided to support homebrew in official firmware, you could play all your Snes, Genesis, N64 etc games on your PSP for free.
Nintendo of course now own the rights to sell some of those games on there virtual console for the Wii, so if Sony allowed users to play those games on there PSP's on official firmware, Nintendo could potentially sue them for it.

So to reflect, you can see why Sony cant allow Homebrew in Official Firmwares. We should stop focusing on that and give Sony there due's for creating such a revolutionary Hand-held console for us all to enjoy.

Don't forget, without Sony there wouldn't be a PSP so just remember that next time your ready to slate them ;)

Did you like this article? (Please tell me if you did)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Are_Not_the_Enemy

Give Feedback Via Comments

steve520
April 22nd, 2007, 19:24
I like Sony they make the PSP fun to hack and enhance the PSP and I enjoy the battles between the hackers and Sony and they invented my favorite thing the PSP

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 21:12
"Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured."

Because the PS2 was such a crushing global failure, and piracy clearly destroyed all of Sony's profits.

Also their, losing, dues

scarph
April 22nd, 2007, 21:13
Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured.

Should be utmost, not upmost

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 21:15

Should be utmost, not upmost

are you sure?

Makaveli777
April 22nd, 2007, 21:24
I like this article. I still fail to understand the misguided hate towards Sony. Especially since their systems always have good games.

IM back!
April 22nd, 2007, 21:32
nice article.

Go Sony! :D

JKKDARK
April 22nd, 2007, 21:35
Are you an idiot? Do you think most of the people here use custom homebrew firmwares for illegal stuff? You are totally wrong. I use a Game Boy Advance emulator dumping the bios from my own GBA, same for the games.

Cokemusic
April 22nd, 2007, 21:39
$ony aren't completley in the wrong for blocking firmware downgrade but I gotta blame some one for not being able to downgrade my PSP and enjoy the magical world of homebrew.

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 21:39
Are you an idiot? Do you think most of the people here use custom homebrew firmwares for illegal stuff? You are totally wrong. I use a Game Boy Advance emulator dumping the bios from my own GBA, same for the games.

Im not saying everyone uses it for illegal stuff, that would be naive.

What im saying is that, the small majority that do use it for illegal stuff are whats causing Sony to take this stance on it.

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 21:44
How quickly people forget. The reason a lot of people have a lot of dislike for Sony is not just because of their constant quest to destroy the homebrew scene (although that doesn't endear them to me much either, even if one does grudgingly have to admit that they might - might, mark you - face a legal problem if they do not). Sony have a history of pissing off their customers:

Remember Lik-Sang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lik-Sang)? That nice import company that Sony sued into the ground?

Remember the rootkit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) fiasco?

Well, I do, and lots of others here do too. While I love my PSP and think it's possibly the single coolest gadget I have ever owned, do NOT deny me my right to dislike and distrust the corporation that spawned it.

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 21:47
How quickly people forget. The reason a lot of people have a lot of dislike for Sony is not just because of their constant quest to destroy the homebrew scene (although that doesn't endear them to me much either, even if one does grudgingly have to admit that they might - might, mark you - face a legal problem if they do not). Sony have a history of pissing off their customers:

Remember Lik-Sang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lik-Sang)? That nice import company that Sony sued into the ground?

Remember the rootkit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) fiasco?

Well, I do, and lots of others here do too. While I love my PSP and think it's possibly the single coolest gadget I have ever owned, do NOT deny me my right to dislike and distrust the corporation that spawned it.

Interesting take on it. + rep

blueasseddwarf
April 22nd, 2007, 21:48
I don't completely agree with this. I give Sony tons of credit for the making of the console. I bought a PSP when they first came out, mine is one from the very first shipment. I also would like to say Sony has done a good job innovating the system with tons of updates like the web browser and the PS1 Emulation. One comment I would like to make, though, is that while the PS1 Emulation was great, they kind of encouraged piracy when they released it. The reason they encouraged it was because they made the games only downloadable on the PS3 for one and secondly, they have hardly any good games on the PS3 for download... Thus, any smart human being is going to make ISO copies of their PS1 games they own, for example FF7 and download a custom firmware so that they can do what they wanted to, play PS1 games. I for one, would pay to download a PS1 game if only I didn't have to first reach deep in to my wallet to buy a PS3, only to be further upset by the lack of support in game downloads.

And as for people doing illegal things on the PSP, Sony needs to get over that. There is always going to be somebody doing something illegal. It is just the day and age that we live in.

Ci5tm Konfliqt
April 22nd, 2007, 21:53
they make enough money and homebrew is such a great thing. especially the fw mods they really rock. sony should save themselves the trouble and just leave the hombrew scene be. Also getting someone to make all these new fw updates can't be free !

DragonSpawn
April 22nd, 2007, 21:54
Personally I couldn't care less about their anti-piracy policies and such, since that is their right. What really annoys me with Sony though is how they love to piss on people that love their products. Like for the launch of the PS3. They knew Europeans love the PlayStation and would buy the PS3 since they are big fans of Sony. And for that reason only they delay the European launch for several months since they would rather flirt with the americans. And then to top it off there was the pricecuts in japan and the backward compatability for PS2 games on the European PS3s. That just really annoys me. To not value the people that love them. If I didn't love the PlayStation systems id hope they went out of business >_>

Uberman
April 22nd, 2007, 21:56
Sony takes a somewhat tyrannical hand with its customers, and a destroy-or-be-destroyed view of its competitors (I believe the term "Bushido Business Model" has been coined to describe it). It's not just the PSP and their attempts to squelch homebrew, other areas of Sony business are treated in this fashion. As SpooForBrains points out, rootkits were a tremendous giveaway that Sony thinks it should just be dominant over its customers, and that their customers should smile and bow and accept. However, I've run into the Sony business model (contempt for customers) in other places (anybody remember SOE and Star Wars Galaxies?).

Sony's hardware division has always created impressive products, and it is for that reason alone that I've stayed with them. Sony's software divisions are the "bad guys", however, and no amount of argument will ever convince me differently. Sony's actions speak louder than anybody else's words.

yoshinatsu
April 22nd, 2007, 21:58
Personally I couldn't care less about their anti-piracy policies and such, since that is their right. What really annoys me with Sony though is how they love to piss on people that love their products. Like for the launch of the PS3. They knew Europeans love the PlayStation and would buy the PS3 since they are big fans of Sony. And for that reason only they delay the European launch for several months since they would rather flirt with the americans. And then to top it off there was the pricecuts in japan and the backward compatability for PS2 games on the European PS3s. That just really annoys me. To not value the people that love them. If I didn't love the PlayStation systems id hope they went out of business >_>
That's true. I lived that thing.

sappo
April 22nd, 2007, 22:03
I have wrote this story exclusivly for Dcemu because i feel the site needs news articles from inside the site too, to go along with external news.

Users say that Sony are denying them the right to use the hardware that they payed for to its full potential. But are they? No.

So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal playing of ISO's and PS1 games from your memory stick, they release another update that fixes the leak.

Lets look at it from Sony's point of view, they make there money on software sales not hardware sales.
So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal use of software on it they are loosing money.

And because its a fine line between homebrew and Iso loading they have to block them both out of there official firmware, so they don't loose out on software sales.

Another side to it is Emulators, now the majority of emulators are legal, but another interesting legality issue has arisen.

Say Sony decided to support homebrew in official firmware, you could play all your Snes, Genesis, N64 etc games on your PSP for free.
Nintendo of course now own the rights to sell some of those games on there virtual console for the Wii, so if Sony allowed users to play those games on there PSP's on official firmware, Nintendo could potentially sue them for it.

So to reflect, you can see why Sony cant allow Homebrew in Official Firmwares. We should stop focusing on that and give Sony there due's for creating such a revolutionary Hand-held console for us all to enjoy.

Don't forget, without Sony there wouldn't be a PSP so just remember that next time your ready to slate them ;)

Did you like this article? (Please tell me if you did)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Are_Not_the_Enemy

Give Feedback Via Comments

Wait wait.

Sony IS the enemy.

Why?

Let's see point by point:

1) Sony is not denying us the right to use the fully of something we paid 200$
YES. I will explain why later.

2) Sony was not happy with the piracy on the PS2
I think not. Sadly, if a console has no piracy capabilities it sells at least the half it would sell. Also, they are happy with piracy. Otherwise, after the boom of Piracy on PSX, they could have done something better on PS2, regarding protections. Also, the PS2 got 14 hardware revision, every more piracy-friendly than the previous.

3) Sony makes money from software, so they are unhappy with piracy
Absolutely not. Firstly they are producers of a console, and in a second moment, they are producers of software. If a console doesn't sell, there's no need to make software, so it's better to have a wellsold-and-pirated console than a notpirated-and-notbought console.

4) Sony doesn't make homebrew available because emulators could make it open to legal procedures from other software houses
Absolutely not correct. As an example, we can get GP2x. An homebrew console. Not every single sue from any console maker. Why? Because it's not the console producer responsible of the use you do with it. Instead, if they would place integrated NES/SNES/N64 emulators in the PSP firmware, they would be GREATLY sueable. But, if every software house could sue anything that runs emulator, we should see 400 sues every day to Microsoft, because they have done Windows, and emulators run on it.

5) Sony has made not possible the use of personal PSX iS0s with the PSP emulator to avoid legal problems or loss of profits
Wait a moment... I have bought many original PSX games. Buying them, I have to right to put them on anything I wish, emulators on PC, emulators on GP2x and more, because I'm the owner of that game. And now, WHY the Sony had to make us pay AGAIN for games we already have? Simply, to spill us more money! PSX games are not profitable anymore, so making them pay it's simply another idea of making money on us. As I said before on emulators, no legal problem should come to Sony on putting a free PSX emulator on their firmware.

So, it's true. Sony IS THE ENEMY.

And I can confirm that, having bought first a PS2 old type that never functioned well, and secondly bought a PS2 slim that gave me EVERY genre of problems, and I had to send it to the assistance, and now it doesn't displays anymore movies in game, and I have to send it again to Sony assistance. Also, I have bought 3 PSP and two of them had dead pixels.

Surely, I WILL not buy PS3, after all these things.

yoshinatsu
April 22nd, 2007, 22:08
I agree with your post, but I believe this part was kinda foolish.
As for the PS2 part, I have only bought ONE PS2 slim, it's 100% alive and kickin' ass, not a single service. As for my PSP, it was used, so it had 2 stuck pixels.
You need to take better care of your things. Especially your consoles.
I know many people whose consoles were completely destroyed multiple times, but I also know people whose consoles are in the best condition ever.
And those 2 kinds of people COINCIDENTALLY had the difference between them that the first ones didn't take good care of their consoles, and the second ones took really good care of theirs...
I'm not saying that to offend you, but it's just a fact I've seen.
And that is "It's all about the user".

sappo
April 22nd, 2007, 22:12
I agree with your post, but I believe this part was kinda foolish.

I only said that because I've already gave a lot of money to Sony, and I'm a little afraid of paying something 600$ that might malfunction and/or not can be used at full functionality.

Just to name something, they aren't going to make homebrew developers use all of the graphical power (news sometime ago here on DCEMU).

So, this means no N64 and many others emulators that require a lot of graphical power on PS3.

Also, here in Europe, I must buy PS3 without Emotion Engine at the same price of a Japanese PS3 that HAVES Emotion Engine.

Why?

Buddy4point0
April 22nd, 2007, 22:16
sony made the psp but we made it better. they wont agree to that and let us keep makeing it better therefour they are preventing progress, making them the enemy.

yoshinatsu
April 22nd, 2007, 22:19
I only said that because I've already gave a lot of money to Sony, and I'm a little afraid of paying something 600$ that might malfunction and/or not can be used at full functionality.

Just to name something, they aren't going to make homebrew developers use all of the graphical power (news sometime ago here on DCEMU).

So, this means no N64 and many others emulators that require a lot of graphical power on PS3.

Also, here in Europe, I must buy PS3 without Emotion Engine at the same price of a Japanese PS3 that HAVES Emotion Engine.

Why?
No, you have to buy it for 230 euros (250 pounds) more.:p

Abgoj
April 22nd, 2007, 22:19

The reason for a lot of people disliking sony now is because of the price of their machines, not just because of the fact that they're trying to stop piracy.

The price of a PS3 is ridiculous, so many people are now placing their trust in Nintendo to dish up some gaming greatness for a much more reasonable price.

I highly doubt that the Nintendo DS would sell as much as it currently is if it had the price tag of a psp console now would it.

Now I know you're getting more processing power in the psp and especially the PS3, but lets face it, who really needs a blueray player in their machine? It wasn't requested and now we have to fork out a ridiculous amount of money for something that all we really want to do is play games on.

I agree that sony is a good company, and they make quality gaming consoles, but I think they would get a lot more people wanting to buy their quality consoles, if they just lowered the friggin' prices on them. ;)

yoshinatsu
April 22nd, 2007, 22:23
Now I know you're getting more processing power in the psp and especially the PS3, but lets face it, who really needs a blueray player in their machine? It wasn't requested and now we have to fork out a ridiculous amount of money for something that all we really want to do is play games on.
Well, Blu-Ray movies mean nothing to me.
But for a seventh-generation console and in terms of capacity (and not playback capabilities), I think 9GBs are not enough.

XxunknowxX
April 22nd, 2007, 22:39
$ony aren't completley in the wrong for blocking firmware downgrade but I gotta blame some one for not being able to downgrade my PSP and enjoy the magical world of homebrew.

first of all nice article complely agreed on this 100%

2nd coke if you want to hate on someone for u not to b able to use homebrew or a CFW you have to hate on ur self because u were the dumb ass to upgrade

Joe88
April 22nd, 2007, 22:41

bringing lik-sang isnto this isnt gonna help
sony sent a seist and desist to them
lik-sang just ignored it and sony sued them and lik-sang being the small company that it is went bankrupt from it

theres still play asia which has plenty of neat things if you wanna import
people were acting like it was the end of the world because lik-sang got killed off, people just forgot about it and on, just a thing of the past now ...

Anger
April 22nd, 2007, 22:43
i like your article however im afraid im going to have to blow some of your statements out of the water.
if these points have been said then ignore em.
ok where to begin:

sorry but they are - i agree they are correct for trying to stop piracy but there also trying to stop homebrew. add that to the fact that you cant customise your xmb without homebrew and that proves that they are restricting what you can and cant do with your own hardware.
and that brings me nicely to the next point - they make money from software but sony also likes making the cake and eating it, by charging more for there hardware than anyone else - case in point, the psp, memory sticks etc.

And because its a fine line between homebrew and Iso loading they have to block them both out of there official firmware, so they don't loose out on software sales.microsofts xna proves you can have homebrew when done correctly. its not the best example so lets consider another - the yaroze, yes thats right, the developer version of the psx. they are choosing not to even try and support homebrew so they can encourage developers to develop for the psp but in doing so they are also restricting what we can do ourselves. (see point 1)

Nintendo of course now own the rights to sell some of those games on there virtual console for the Wii, so if Sony allowed users to play those games on there PSP's on official firmware, Nintendo could potentially sue them for it. no arguement here about this however homebrew isnt just emulators, its also about what great programmers can do with great hardware.
and to my final point:

So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal use of software on it they are loosing money. as i have stated sony is making the cake and eating it so i respond to your statement with just one word - ps3.
other than that your aticle isnt bad for someone who still likes sony. i gave up on supporting sony a long time ago - right about when the price started taking the piss, and the hardware we were getting was also cut down.

o and yeah - just read the post before me.

Remember Lik-Sang? That nice import company that Sony sued into the ground?

Remember the rootkit fiasco?sony, no matter how you like or dislike them have acted very questionably recently. however there arrogance that they can do what they want will also be there downfall. if you had been subjected to any of this or were affected by any of these things sony have done you would be singing a different tune previous poster.

Cokemusic
April 22nd, 2007, 22:48
Wait wait.

Sony IS the enemy.

Why?

I think not. Sadly, if a console has no piracy capabilities it sells at least the half it would sell. Also, they are happy with piracy. Otherwise, after the boom of Piracy on PSX, they could have done something better on PS2, regarding protections. Also, the PS2 got 14 hardware revision, every more piracy-friendly than the previous.

Absolutely not. Firstly they are producers of a console, and in a second moment, they are producers of software. If a console doesn't sell, there's no need to make software, so it's better to have a wellsold-and-pirated console than a notpirated-and-notbought console.

4) Sony doesn't make homebrew available because emulators could make it open to legal procedures from other software houses
Absolutely not correct. As an example, we can get GP2x. An homebrew console. Not every single sue from any console maker. Why? Because it's not the console producer responsible of the use you do with it. Instead, if they would place integrated NES/SNES/N64 emulators in the PSP firmware, they would be GREATLY sueable. But, if every software house could sue anything that runs emulator, we should see 400 sues every day to Microsoft, because they have done Windows, and emulators run on it.

5) Sony has made not possible the use of personal PSX iS0s with the PSP emulator to avoid legal problems or loss of profits
Wait a moment... I have bought many original PSX games. Buying them, I have to right to put them on anything I wish, emulators on PC, emulators on GP2x and more, because I'm the owner of that game. And now, WHY the Sony had to make us pay AGAIN for games we already have? Simply, to spill us more money! PSX games are not profitable anymore, so making them pay it's simply another idea of making money on us. As I said before on emulators, no legal problem should come to Sony on putting a free PSX emulator on their firmware.

And I can confirm that, having bought first a PS2 old type that never functioned well, and secondly bought a PS2 slim that gave me EVERY genre of problems, and I had to send it to the assistance, and now it doesn't displays anymore movies in game, and I have to send it again to Sony assistance. Also, I have bought 3 PSP and two of them had dead pixels.

OMG I was begining to sympathise with $ony.

Thanx for keeping me strong :)

irishwhip
April 22nd, 2007, 22:50
the only reason for my distaste with sony is the whole lik-sang business. corporate bullies.

Basil Zero
April 22nd, 2007, 22:50

umm, i can promise u, the majority of the scene, homebrewers are putting up emulators and emulating games

even if u back up your own games, its still seen as piracy, dont ask me why, ask the companies.

Volsfan91
April 22nd, 2007, 22:56
Sounds about like what I expected: blabbering from someone with no idea what they're talking about.

10shu
April 22nd, 2007, 23:02
sony is the biggest liar on the industry... u remember how powerfull was supose to be the emotion engine of the ps2??? well they do the same bullshit with the cell processor now...

Now the psp was a pretty sexy piece hardware... but Sony never released any interesting content...
It took many year to see the first tekken games on the psp...still no gran turismo...no god of war, etc...

And now what?!?!They want me to buy a ps3 so I'll be able to re-paid to play my ps1 games?!?!? are they loose there mind????!?!?!?!

so F... u sony :)

Basil Zero
April 22nd, 2007, 23:21
sony is the biggest liar on the industry... u remember how powerfull was supose to be the emotion engine of the ps2??? well they do the same bullshit with the cell processor now...

Now the psp was a pretty sexy piece hardware... but Sony never released any interesting content...
It took many year to see the first tekken games on the psp...still no gran turismo...no god of war, etc...

And now what?!?!They want me to buy a ps3 so I'll be able to re-paid to play my ps1 games?!?!? are they loose there mind????!?!?!?!

Ok, so many mistakes dood

Emotion Engine, dont know much about it, i admit , but from seeing what i have seen, its all good regardeless.

and you saying that sony hasnt released any interesting content? than what is the webbrowser, locationfreeplayer, etc?

Many years for the first tekken to be on PSP? how so? PSP has only been around for 2 years, and tekken came out like more than year ago.

Gran Turismo, i can understand, God of War, be patient dood, u'r not the only one who is waiting.

And about re-paying for ps1 games to be downloaded via ps3, well isnt that what the other systems are doing as well?

Especially Wii with its VC.

So before you go flaming at one company think of the facts.

Originally Posted by sappo
Wait wait.

Sony IS the enemy.

Why?

1) Exactly what makes you think that sony isnt fulfulling what you already have?

5) The same can be said on the Wii's VC.

and about u'r last couple of comments, those are misfortunate things that may of happened to you

but i have to say one thing: Its all on you, just because something unfortunate happened to you, doesnt mean u have to blame the company who made whatever product.

I bought my ps2 in 2003, its still running perfectly fine
I bought my psp in May 2005, no dead pixels, no dust, perfect

so u'r view on sony being the "enemy" is bias.

Joe88
April 22nd, 2007, 23:25

it is pretty powerfull
but its a shame it was tapped into too late
but again we seen the power of it if you play GoW, the game easily looks like an xbox game

as far as the cell processor goes
8 SPE cores, 7 can be used for games
no computer even has many cores on a single chip, most is quad-core
the chip is pretty dam powerfull, its a supercomputer
thats why they brought folding@home to the PS3

it depends what you would call interesting
there plenty of neat things on it
if you dont like them, just fire up some homebrew :D
problem solved

???
what are you expecting the games to be free to download
I see no complaints about the Wii virtual counsle charing you $8 to play SMB1 for the NES
no one if forcing you to buy them
I dont see the big problem here

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 23:29
And about re-paying for ps1 games to be downloaded via ps3, well isnt that what the other systems are doing as well?

Not at all. With the wii you are paying for downloadable content you can use on the wii. With playstation store or whatever it's called, you are obliged to buy a PS3 (in UK prices near enough an effective outlay of £500) to get downloadable content you can use on the PSP you have already paid for.

NOT the same thing at all.

Basil Zero
April 22nd, 2007, 23:32
also i forgot to mention, wouldnt u think that a big corporation such as sony is able to make all these firmwares, and yet Dark Alex was able to crack it, wouldnt u think, there would be something i dont know.....intentional?

as if sony really wants people to hack the psp(in terms of emulation of old classic systems).

I can understand why IF they are trying, since their software is getting pirated.

Not at all. With the wii you are paying for downloadable content you can use on the wii. With playstation store or whatever it's called, you are obliged to buy a PS3 (in UK prices near enough an effective outlay of £500) to get downloadable content you can use on the PSP you have already paid for.

NOT the same thing at all.

but does it matter? Your still paying for it regardless, even if there is so a "catch". Are you able to play the downloadable VC games on DS, i think not.

Each system has its differences, if it didnt, we would be in a middle of a stalemate.

IM back!
April 22nd, 2007, 23:45
you can paly palystion store PSX games on your PS3

DCRich
April 22nd, 2007, 23:52
so many interesting comments..now for mine.

if the games weren't too expensive on the psp, I would surely buy more. It's the mindset of it all. people see it as a handheld, and in the back of their minds, a cheaper console to there full size counterparts, ie ps2,ps3,wii, whatever. People don't expect to pay home console prices for a handheld game.

the whole lik-sang thing was a joke. sony bullied them. plain and simple.

now onto the ps1 emu for psp. the difference between this and nes carts.....we all have the means to create LEGAL backups of our own psx games. now why not just give us that right in the official firmware. I will never buy a psx game more than once. if sony doesn't like it, they can kiss my ass.

aside from all that, I have to say that sony has proven that they can put out a kickass console. They just need to treat their customers with the respect they deserve. I have had major problems with SOE, with them deleting my game accounts for no reason, then me having to jump through hoops just to fix their mess-up. SOE itself has the biggest idiots working for them. Although, there customer support does solve problems.

Volsfan91
April 22nd, 2007, 23:52
What about the following:

1) Sony deliberately blocking 3rd party keyboard licensing?

2) Not paying up for a true web browser from a company like Opera?

3) Not fulfilling on media codecs?

4) Incorporating technology in their firmware that allowed them to search the memory stick's contents?

Overall, it is 100% clear that Sony seemingly intentionally limits the PSP's functionality and uses by not ever including good features in firmware.

ficksucker
April 22nd, 2007, 23:53
This article raises a good point, but I don't think that that absolves Sony of any criticism. Sony is partly to blame for the fact that homebrew exists at all. The goal of a lot of homebrew is simply to allow the PSP to do what it was supposed to do, but never did. When I first baught my PSP, I thought it would be able to easily play videos, I was wrong, but Sony didn't give me any indication that change would come, in fact they seemed to think it was O.K, so I turned to homebrew for the answer. You can't starve your kids and then be surprised when they steal some food.

In the begginning, we couldn't play movies properly, without having them in one specific format, with a complex and retarded numerical name and in low resolution.
Then there was the issue of Sony limiting the PSP's processor to 222 mHz, which seemed to be for no good reason since if I remember correctly, they ended up dropping the limit later on. Now we have some homebrewers making keyboards compatible with the PSP, another basic that Sony and its developers have so far failed at providing.

But I think that those of us that criticize really have an issue with the whole capitalist system of copyrights, patents and royalties, and just how much they're charging for thier games. I'm not saying we think that it's totally wrong, but I think that many of us would agree that it is at least flawed. There are alternatives that would make the system more fair without having to be totally revolutionary. In fact, I think it could be argued that the current system is actually counter to some of the ideals of capitalism.

Now I don't download ISOs myself, but I do play a lot of emulation on my PSP, and I think this situation is a lot like the music industry. Sure there are some people out there who will download everything and never buy a song or a CD. But there are many more of us who would buy it at the right price, we just don't think a CD is worth $20, especially when we know that it only takes like 25 cents to crank out that CD.And we understand that a lot of people work on that CD, but still, there is a huge markup on every CD, and a lot of the people that do work on the CD get paid more than we would consider fair.

I could discuss advertising execs or record company markup, but let's touch on something more contravertial, let's look at the artist. I don't think a musician, no matter how good, deserves millions of dollars for cranking out a CD, in fact, I question whether they have a real job at all. Spending like 2 months out of the year on an album is not a job, and we shouldn't treat it like one. It's spending time performing and doing concerts that is the real job, and if anything, I think that's where most of the money should come from. An album is something that takes a couple of months to crank out and then after that only costs a few cents to produce, and no additional effort, and yet it costs a lot of money for the effort that actually went into it.

I think many of us realize that a huge portion of the cost that we pay for a game is markup. So say what you will about ISO loaders, but I think they are as much the symptoms of a problem as the problem itself. We buy into the values of our society, the problem is it doesn't give enough of us an appropriate way to achieve those goals, because they mark up the price so much.

Sony isn't the bad guy, but they share some of the responsibility.

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 00:06
you can paly palystion store PSX games on your PS3

Yes, but can you download playstation store games to your PSP without a PS3? No. Could they have given you that functionality using a PC instead? Yes. Did they intentionally set it up this way to sell more PS3s ... what do YOU think?

I don't think they did, personally. If a keyboard could be made for the PSP, it probably would have been by now - by homebrewers if nothing else. I just don't think the PSP is capable of using an external keyboard. If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd love to know about it.

They did, they just didn't buy it from Opera. I don't remember the name of the company that made the PSP's web browser, but it wasn't developed in-house by Sony.

The PSP is not capable of dynamically resizing and playing DivX (which is what I assume you're referring to). Many other video playing devices also use special codecs. Of course, I do believe they have deliberately obfuscated the process of putting videos on the PSP so that UMDs seem more attractive, but that's not the same thing.

4) Incorporating technology in their firmware that allowed them to search the memory stick's contents?

To what do you refer here?

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 00:22
I don't hate Sony for what they're doing to the PSP. I do hate that they try to get rid of ALL homebrew, not just make a patch to stop piracy. I also hate what they've done to the PS3, a system with so much potential.

So sure they made a good handheld (which incidently sucks without homebrew) and I love em for it. But They refuse with all their heart to listen to their customers, and so that is why I hate them.

Why didn't they do what Microsoft did, and make a Blu-Ray player ADD on like Microsoft has for HD-DVD?

Joe88
April 23rd, 2007, 00:25
I don't hate Sony for what they're doing to the PSP. I do hate that they try to get rid of ALL homebrew, not just make a patch to stop piracy. I also hate what they've done to the PS3, a system with so much potential.

yet they allow linux ?
on the PS2 and PS3

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 00:34
yet they allow linux ?
on the PS2 and PS3

The PSP can't run Linux in any conventional sense at the moment. That's why there's only been one port, and that in the very basic stages. The PSP just doesn't have the necessary gubbins (I believe the necessary missing component is an MMU, although I may be wrong).

Linux gives a safe environment for homebrew without also providing the means for piracy. Also, as an added bonus, drivers for the accelerated video aren't available so none of the games ported can compete with their released games on an even footing.

Volsfan91
April 23rd, 2007, 00:35
1) About the keyboard:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/psp/no-psp-keyboard-157066.php

2) My point exactly. They hired a cruddy company that didn't have a ton of experience, Access.

3) Bull ****. There are a ton of handheld devices that can play DivX and such. I invite you to review both the Gp2x's specs and codec list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

4) I honestly cannot find the link to the article at the moment, but I remember hearing about it on QJ. I'll be sure to post a link if I can find it.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 00:37

Overall, it is 100% clear that Sony seemingly intentionally limits the PSP's functionality and uses by not ever including good features in firmware.

1) well just like life, you cant get everything
2) Its their decision, and its u'r decision if u want to buy a psp/ps3
3) I understand this also, but think about it, at least they placed in the two most common media formats(in terms of photos and music)
4) and how is this hurting you?

SpooforBrains:

Yes, but can you download playstation store games to your PSP without a PS3? No. Could they have given you that functionality using a PC instead? Yes. Did they intentionally set it up this way to sell more PS3s ... what do YOU think
Well, thats what business is all about.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 00:47
yet they allow linux ?
on the PS2 and PS3

Just tried playing Fury 3 on PS2. It didn't run. Linux my foot....

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 00:51
1) About the keyboard:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/psp/no-psp-keyboard-157066.php

There never was a stated reason for that. Personally I don't think the PSP is actually capable. I honestly don't see an incentive to shut down that accessory otherwise.

2) My point exactly. They hired a cruddy company that didn't have a ton of experience, Access.

I can't speak to their level of experience myself, but I personally don't have a problem with the PSP web browser. It does the job. I just wish it was a little faster.

3) Bull ****. There are a ton of handheld devices that can play DivX and such. I invite you to review both the Gp2x's specs and codec list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

I'm well aware of the GP2X. As I understand it, it uses a second core of the processor to dynamically resize videos for playback. The PSP doesn't have that. Also remember that the PSP has to provide a flawless, polished user experience with no bugs. The GP2X does NOT provide that.

SpooforBrains:

Well, thats what business is all about.

No, it's NOT. Nintendo can provide nice warm retro-gaming fuzzies without scalping their customers. Sony aren't capable of doing that without having an agenda to push.

Volsfan91
April 23rd, 2007, 00:56
Basil, you're lucky you primarily hang out at DCEmu, because anywhere else, you would get fried.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 00:57
No, it's NOT. Nintendo can provide nice warm retro-gaming fuzzies without scalping their customers. Sony aren't capable of doing that without having an agenda to push.

My friend, you have wisdom in your words

SSaxdude
April 23rd, 2007, 00:59
I hate Sony because both PS2s I've had have had many problems, the PS2 was so overrated that the Dreamcast failed, they act like everything is ok when it's not, they shut down lik-sang for no reason, and many other reasons.

So there, I hate Sony not just because they don't want me to play emulators on my PSP, but for other reasons.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 01:15
well thats nintendo, you cant expect every business to be like each other

Basil, you're lucky you primarily hang out at DCEmu, because anywhere else, you would get fried.

is that supposed to be a threat, cause its empty, everyone has their opinions which hold facts, oh and btw, i'm not primarly "hanging out" in DCEmu, i primarly "hang out" in QJ.net Forums.

If you see the screename basil zero, you can see why, when looking at my post count.

DCEmu, i only come here for news thats it, if u look at my post history, 95% of my posts have been made in the news sections.

ALSO, i made my statements even in QJ, and unlike "most" people, fanboyism is like a disease, which leads to bias information and lacking of any actual evidence.

I hate Sony because both PS2s I've had have had many problems, the PS2 was so overrated that the Dreamcast failed, they act like everything is ok when it's not, they shut down lik-sang for no reason, and many other reasons.
Well you cant blame a company just because a small margin of people had defective ps2s, i mean come on, not every system or piece of hardware isnt perfect.

And because of one system's death isnt the fault of another system, though it may contribute to it, if you think about it, what happened to all the sega fanboys who left sega and went after other systems?

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 01:26

I can expect a great many things. What I can expect is only limited by my imagination.

One of those things that I expect is that companies that desire my custom do not take unnecessary liberties in attempting to obtain it, nor do they attempt to coerce me into buying new products by withholding features of the product I have already bought until I do so.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 01:33
I can expect a great many things. What I can expect is only limited by my imagination.

One of those things that I expect is that companies that desire my custom do not take unnecessary liberties in attempting to obtain it, nor do they attempt to coerce me into buying new products by withholding features of the product I have already bought until I do so.

True, you CAN expect things to improve, but once again, thats up to the company's decision, the only other way you can convince them to change what they are doing is if you work with them(high class employee), other than that, nothing much but to speculate of things they can do.

Nothing we can do, we're just the consumers and not the producers.

Abgoj
April 23rd, 2007, 01:35

The difference between nintendo and sony at the moment, is that nintendo seem to be doing things right and sony, wrong. And I expect sony to be like nintendo in the way of making me, and many other gamers happy.

Abgoj
April 23rd, 2007, 01:40

The producers are supposed to be making us, the consumers happy, and giving us what we want, it's how they make money and keeps us happy. The problem is that, sony is failing at that at the moment.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 01:42
The difference between nintendo and sony at the moment, is that nintendo seem to be doing things right and sony, wrong. And I expect sony to be like nintendo in the way of making me, and many other gamers happy.

Well, like i said, you cant expect all companies to be the same, there will be ups and downs on every company.

Sony made people happy with PS2

Alot of people were disappointed with Nintendo's GCN

Now, its reversed.

The producers are supposed to be making us, the consumers happy, and giving us what we want, it's how they make money and keeps us happy. The problem is that, sony is failing at that at the moment.

I wouldnt be saying that Sony's failing right now, if your saying, because of lack of sales compared to Wii and Xbox360, well lets check the factors:

1. PS3 is 600 dollars, not everyone can afford it

2. Xbox360 is more than a year old

3. Wii is cheaper, and nintendo is more accepted to the gaming community due to the great achievements over the past few years.

I expect sony to do better with PS3 in a matter of 1-2 years , just like i said about PSP, which is doing well in 2007.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 01:43

Thats the sad truth with Sony. It doesn't seem the truth with Microsoft and Nintendo though. They actually LISTEN to their customers. Such as, customers say they want awesome games, and affordable system. Nintendo makes the Wii wireless remote. Microsoft makes Bishock, Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Too Human, Dead Rising, ect.

Sony sticks a Blu-Ray player in the PS3 for an extra $300.

WTF? Where did that come from?

Abgoj
April 23rd, 2007, 01:52
Thats the sad truth with Sony. It doesn't seem the truth with Microsoft and Nintendo though. They actually LISTEN to their customers. Such as, customers say they want awesome games, and affordable system. Nintendo makes the Wii wireless remote. Microsoft makes Bishock, Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Too Human, Dead Rising, ect.

:rofl: that's exactly my point.

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 02:01
Much as I hate Microsoft as a company, I'd much rather have a 360 than a PS3. And I already own an XBox. Two in fact (just bought a second for £30). Admittedly, I only use it for XBMC, but that doesn't change the fact that I did play games on it once, and enjoyed them too.

Which is a hard admission for a man who has detested Windows for years.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 02:05

I think its more common sense, of what customers want, its mostly what the producers want with their systems, of what THEY think what will be successful, not always about what a customer wants

also just because a company gets a new feature such as you stated the Nintendo Wii with its wireless remote features, its what Nintendo wanted.

Microsoft yes did indeed make games like Gears of War and Halo, but that doesnt mean Sony didnt make great series either:

Here's what sony made:

God Of War
Legend of Dragoon
Gran Turismo
Jak and Daxter
Crash Bandicoot(license sold)
Spyro the Dragon (license Sold)
Ratchet and Clank
MotorStorm
Resistance
and some other franchises i cant think of now.

btw, capcom made dead rising.....but back to point

Sony sticks a blu-ray player, what do u expect? OF course their gonna stick it in the ps3, its their product. And since its new technology, of course the PS3 would be first thing they would place it, to show it off.

Its like they always say, you have a choice, if you dont want a system, dont buy it, even if there are others who are willing to buy it, its their choice.

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 02:17
Sony sticks a blu-ray player, what do u expect? OF course their gonna stick it in the ps3, its their product. And since its new technology, of course the PS3 would be first thing they would place it, to show it off.

Its like they always say, you have a choice, if you dont want a system, dont buy it, even if there are others who are willing to buy it, its their choice.

Sony put the blu-ray player into PS3 for the same reason they made the PSP use UMDs (a format that is pretty much universally detested) - because they want to use their market share to push their own proprietary, non-interoperable media formats.

The trouble is, most proprietary Sony media formats suck nuts. Betamax was a failure. The minidisc was a failure. Memory sticks have only survived because Sony still have a large share of the digital camera market. Blu-ray will go the same way.

Sony as a company is only interested in furthering their own market dominance. They have no interest in giving the consumer what they want. The only problem is this quite often has the opposite effect of that intended, and consumers are alienated. Sony had a runaway success with the playstation, but PSP sales aren't as strong as they should be and I don't think the PS3 is going to fare much better.

Plus, lets be honest, the PS2 did well because it gave you the most bang for your buck. It fell at just the right point in the market - cheaper than the XBox, but just that bit more powerful than the Gamecube. Technically it wasn't all that great. Sony were also in a lucky position with licenses - they had Square and Rockstar (and GTA sold a LOT of PS2s). That's slowly starting to slip away from them now.

They're burning goodwill too fast at the moment, and when you're asking the public to spend more than the cost of a home computer on a gaming console, you NEED goodwill.

Joe88
April 23rd, 2007, 03:13
Just tried playing Fury 3 on PS2. It didn't run. Linux my foot....

isnt that a windows game ...

a blu-ray player is $999
consider the great deal your getting
rather then just bashing it and be proud your got next gen godness
sony wanted to make this system full HD, and there not gonna just thow in a DVD drive and called it "HD" like MS did with the 360 which could only output in 720p

Sony put the blu-ray player into PS3 for the same reason they made the PSP use UMDs (a format that is pretty much universally detested) - because they want to use their market share to push their own proprietary, non-interoperable media formats.

The trouble is, most proprietary Sony media formats suck nuts. Betamax was a failure. The minidisc was a failure. Memory sticks have only survived because Sony still have a large share of the digital camera market. Blu-ray will go the same way.

Sony as a company is only interested in furthering their own market dominance. They have no interest in giving the consumer what they want. The only problem is this quite often has the opposite effect of that intended, and consumers are alienated. Sony had a runaway success with the playstation, but PSP sales aren't as strong as they should be and I don't think the PS3 is going to fare much better.

Plus, lets be honest, the PS2 did well because it gave you the most bang for your buck. It fell at just the right point in the market - cheaper than the XBox, but just that bit more powerful than the Gamecube. Technically it wasn't all that great. Sony were also in a lucky position with licenses - they had Square and Rockstar (and GTA sold a LOT of PS2s). That's slowly starting to slip away from them now.

They're burning goodwill too fast at the moment, and when you're asking the public to spend more than the cost of a home computer on a gaming console, you NEED goodwill.

the floppy disk anyone ?
maybe the CD ???
and gave a little help with the creation of the DVD helping it to be more scratch resistant
the company backing of the blu-ray is incredible compared to HD-DVD

the PSP is doing fairly well, it came into a market where nintendo was the only one around, it made quit a dent in their sales, but still not enough

both the xbox and PS2 retailed for $299
also the gamecube was more powerfull then the PS2 sporting a 399mhz CPU and games like RE4 had to be slightly downgraded to be playable on the PS2
the PS2 won because it was pure awsomeness with loads of games to match, alot of which other counsels didnt have

also a good home computer cost around $1,200
I build my own comps but non the less thats the cost of stock computers and dont try to say what about those $399 POS comps that have Pentium4's >.>

which may explain why they lost the last 2 counsel races to sony

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 03:26
Its really $1000? o_0

I guess if I want a Blu-Ray player I'd get a PS3...but really, i'm fine with DVD. Fury 3 is Linux, at least the copy I have. It may be a Windows game too, I don't really know. I tried Civilization Call to Power as well, no dice...

As for the PS2 games, most of them I bought the PS2 for are moving to the other systems, such as Dynasty Warriors, DDR, and DBZ Budokai.

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 03:36
the floppy disk anyone ?
maybe the CD ???

Seems to me like Apple and IBM had somewhat more to do with the success of the floppy. As for the CD, it was joint-developed by Phillips, yes?

the PS2 won because it was pure awsomeness with loads of games to match, alot of which other counsels didnt have

That sounds like an unbiased opinion.

Plus, you just backed up my point. It did so well because of the exclusive licenses, such as GTA and Final Fantasy. As time goes on there are less and less of those as publishers realise they can't afford to write off a potentially large market share.

Of all the games that were release multi-platform, you would have a hard time arguing that the playstation 2 version was superior to the versions on the other two consoles. Although no doubt you'll try anyway.

10shu
April 23rd, 2007, 03:42
Ok, so many mistakes dood

Emotion Engine, dont know much about it, i admit , but from seeing what i have seen, its all good regardeless.

and you saying that sony hasnt released any interesting content? than what is the webbrowser, locationfreeplayer, etc?

Many years for the first tekken to be on PSP? how so? PSP has only been around for 2 years, and tekken came out like more than year ago.

Gran Turismo, i can understand, God of War, be patient dood, u'r not the only one who is waiting.

So before you go flaming at one company think of the facts.

Ok...I am wrong about tekken... :)

The emotion engine is the cpu of the ps2. Sony lie when they released the ps2 saying thing like; it was more powerfull than any computer on the market...
And they do the same with the cell...I am a game develloper and I can tell u than gamewise the ps3 isn t "that powerfull..."

So now I don't say it's a bad hardware...just that sony overate the power of the ps3...
Just look at game released on 360 and ps3(fightnight, tonyhawk,splintercell,etc)...why they do not look that much better on the ps3???
Again I am sure the ps3 will probably have amazing exclusive game later on it s life cycle...but sony didn't really make there console very develloper friendly so it will take more time and money to really see the "true power" of the ps3...

about the ps1 games...I would have love to be able to play iso...i own ps1 games...I m sure it would have been possible to create a tool that extract the game from the cd and maybe lock it to the mac adress of the psp or something...Ok, now I know there here to make money...and I have nothing against paying a little money to buy a old game but come on I have to buy a ps3 to play a ps1 game on the psp!?!?!?!
That just too much don't you think??:confused:

Before been called a nintendo/microsoft fanboy
I must say i own (or played ,do not own a ps3)most of the gamesystem on the market regardless of it s brand. I just think Sony is f*****g up there brand, pretty sad...:( :(

Joe88
April 23rd, 2007, 03:49
the PS3 ver of Oblivion is superior to the 360 ver because the gfx were more cleaner and smooth
also the PC ver owns both
but this isnt an argument over multi-platform titles
it more about exclusives
just because 1 or 2 companys, capcom went muti-platform doesnt mean sony is losing all their exclusives

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 04:06
Well, is there a law in which they cant? Sure the UMD is lacking in sales compared to other formats, but blu-ray is growing no doubt, and dont count the UMD out, its still alive.

I dont know much about the Betamax or minidisc, but the blu-ray, i believe will have a chance.

I have to disagree with you there, just because the PSP isnt as selling wise as DS, doesnt mean its a failure, the software sales are low because of the piracy which is occuring, hardware wise, its going good, infact the ps3 is doing well for a system that costs 600 bucks average.

That is not true, nothing about it is lucky, its a proven fact that the company which releases their game system first(not counting sega dreamcast), has been successful, ps1 first than n64, PS2 than GCN and Xbox, now we see the trend with Xbox360, being number 1 right now, Nintendo as usual staying in the second place. However I believe this generation that'll change. And your only crediting the big named companies, how about giving credit to many of the sony exclusive companies, or who have been loyal to sony, and STILL are such as Nippon Icchi.

No Comment

As for the PS2 games, most of them I bought the PS2 for are moving to the other systems, such as Dynasty Warriors, DDR, and DBZ Budokai.
Not True, at least 15-20 percent are moving.

sabernet
April 23rd, 2007, 06:27
Sony put rootkits on music CDs to infect them with virus-like DRM software; infecting over 500,000 computer systems.

Sony put incompatible copy protection on their newer DVDs, disabling them from playing on many DVD players until the community and manufacturer backlash was too strong.

Sony lies about their specs for every system since the PS2.

Sony shut down Lik-Sang using legal loopholes and brute-force lawyering.

Sony threatened and even punished Crescente from Kotaku for exersising his rights as a reporter of news.

The PSP took years to get where its at, original adopters were left in the cold for all this time. Only recently, with the consistent failings of the PS3 are they paying attention to it aside from releasing mandatory firmware patches who's only purpose is to seal a small homebrew leak.

Sony is a member of the RIAA. They sue children and innocent people and abuse the legal system on a daily basis.

There are many reasons to hate Sony. They are the enemy in many ways. Just because there are a few PSP games that are worth it does not mean we should forget all else they've done.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 06:41
Sony put rootkits on music CDs to infect them with virus-like DRM software; infecting over 500,000 computer systems.

Sony put incompatible copy protection on their newer DVDs, disabling them from playing on many DVD players until the community and manufacturer backlash was too strong.

Sony threatened and even punished Crescente from Kotaku for exersising his rights as a reporter of news.

The PSP took years to get where its at, original adopters were left in the cold for all this time. Only recently, with the consistent failings of the PS3 are they paying attention to it aside from releasing mandatory firmware patches who's only purpose is to seal a small homebrew leak.
Sony is a member of the RIAA. They sue children and innocent people and abuse the legal system on a daily basis.

There are many reasons to hate Sony. They are the enemy in many ways. Just because there are a few PSP games that are worth it does not mean we should forget all else they've done.

most of the reasons you provided have nothing to do with gaming, especially the whole "Sony sues children".

and two, PS3 isnt failing

Narcotize
April 23rd, 2007, 07:01
I think many of us realize that a huge portion of the cost that we pay for a game is markup. So say what you will about ISO loaders, but I think they are as much the symptoms of a problem as the problem itself. We buy into the values of our society, the problem is it doesn't give enough of us an appropriate way to achieve those goals, because they mark up the price so much.

Sony isn't the bad guy, but they share some of the responsibility.

I believe people using ISO loaders is more of a "I want everythiing ... NOW" mentality. I remember having an Amiga and I would get a box of copied games rather than spend out on one game that I really wanted.

Eventually my supply to free floppies came to an end so when I DID spend the almighty £5 on Street Fighter 2, I caned it loads.

Games were a pittance back then. Coded by small teams with no marketing or any of the shebang that came with it. Yet still for a fiver, I still went for the free option because I could.

If I could be bothered to rig my PS2, I would probably rip the hell out of that. Because I haven't, I'm spending money on games. Thinking about it and getting good value for my cash out of them.

Lowering prices wouldn't do a thing really.

sabernet
April 23rd, 2007, 07:03
and two, PS3 isnt failing
http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html
http://digg.com/gaming_news/EA_regrets_backing_PS3_Moving_on_to_Wii
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155564

Sure, if you say so.

most of the reasons you provided have nothing to do with gaming, especially the whole "Sony sues children".

[...]aside from releasing mandatory firmware patches who's only purpose is to seal a small homebrew leak.

Again, whatever.

Besides, if Exxon-Mobil or Montsanto made a game console, would it be any better to say "Exxon is not the enemy because their wifi controllers rule!"?

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 09:04
I have to disagree with you there, just because the PSP isnt as selling wise as DS, doesnt mean its a failure, the software sales are low because of the piracy which is occuring, hardware wise, its going good,

Well done for swallowing Sony's rhetoric so well. I was going through this in my head last night.

1. To my knowledge there are no UMD burners in existence except those controlled by Sony. You cannot buy counterfit UMDs. Period. Nor can you burn them at home.

2. PSP games are upwards of 1GB in size most of the time. Most home broadband connections are download capped these days, and torrent ports are routinely blocked.

3. Memory sticks are still very expensive. Unless you buy a job lot from overseas, the cheapest you can get a 4GB here in the UK is £45.

That means a PSP pirate must have a fast internet connection, be savvy enough to use bittorrent, and have cash to burn on memory sticks, since you can only fit a few games on your stick at a time. Either that or they spend most of their time copying games over from their PCs.

Just how many people do you think satisfy all these criteria? It's gonna be pretty bloody low.

Unlike the other consoles on which piracy is/was pretty prevalent (eg. the Playstation, PS2 or Dreamcast) there is no way that you can have one or two tech-savvy people per area downloading games and burning them, then selling them off cheap to their mates. Nor do you have big illegal factories running churning out piles and piles of counterfit game discs.

For the average consumer it is cheaper, easier and faster to just go out and buy the damned UMD.

Given all of that, do you honestly believe that the PSP is suffering due to piracy? I sure as hell am not buying that one.

Joe88
April 23rd, 2007, 09:14
2. PSP games are upwards of 1GB in size most of the time. Most home broadband connections are download capped these days, and torrent ports are routinely blocked.

3. Memory sticks are still very expensive. Unless you buy a job lot from overseas, the cheapest you can get a 4GB here in the UK is £45.

That means a PSP pirate must have a fast internet connection, be savvy enough to use bittorrent, and have cash to burn on memory sticks, since you can only fit a few games on your stick at a time. Either that or they spend most of their time copying games over from their PCs.

Just how many people do you think satisfy all these criteria? It's gonna be pretty bloody low.

For the average consumer it is cheaper, easier and faster to just go out and buy the damned UMD.

Given all of that, do you honestly believe that the PSP is suffering due to piracy? I sure as hell am not buying that one.

2) there not alot that go past 1GB
I myself use a 1GB stick and am fine with it
capped broadband ???
lol
im using 750kbps DSL and find no porblem at all for only $20 a month, forwarding ports takes about 1min to do, its not that hard to set up a static IP
very esay to do and get going, you dont even need to forward it, it will still download, but a little slower
also µTorrent > all

3) a 2GB stick can be purchased for about $30
most PSP games on average are 500MB
there not expensive at all

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 09:18
2) there not alot that go past 1GB
I myself use a 1GB stick and am fine with it
capped broadband ???
lol
im using 750kbps DSL and find no porblem at all for only $20 a month, forwarding ports takes about 1min to do, its not that hard to set up a static IP
very esay to do and get going, you dont even need to forward it, it will still download, but a little slower
also µTorrent > all

3) a 2GB stick can be purchased for about $30
most PSP games on average are 500MB
there not expensive at all

Quite possibly, but (and correct me if I'm wrong here) the DS also has the ability to play "backed-up" games, using a flashcart / storage device, isn't that true? So if both systems are equally capable of running pirate games, why should it be a factor in poor sales of PSP titles but not for the DS?

BurningRage
April 23rd, 2007, 10:11
lucky guys, i got my 4gb for 180 euros...well, 2 weeks later the price was cut by halt :(
well, about the huge size of psp isos, isn't there a way to compress them? sometime ago i read it's possible, but i forgot where it was, as it isn't important to me.

that would mean an "improvement" in the piracy scene if you could download the games faster - which could make the psp even more piracy-friendly :/

StormB
April 23rd, 2007, 11:06
I like this article. I still fail to understand the misguided hate towards Sony. Especially since their systems always have good games.

There really aren't many good games for the PSP. I think it's mainly limited by the analogue nub, which is very uncomfortable to use, and quite difficult to be precise with.

bufinjer
April 23rd, 2007, 12:19
Im not saying everyone uses it for illegal stuff, that would be naive.

What im saying is that, the small majority that do use it for illegal stuff are whats causing Sony to take this stance on it.

Well if it truly was a small majority of people doing illegal stuff, then Sony wouldn't be changing the firmware every time someone hacks it. It has to be large enough for them to worry about it.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 12:28
Not True, at least 15-20 percent are moving.

What now?DDR is on the 360 and Gamecube, Dynasty warriors is coming out for the DS and GBA, and DBZ Budokai Tenkaitchi 2 is out for the Wii. Seems %100 to me.

onetwentyeight
April 23rd, 2007, 12:59
i believe the ps2 had at least one firmware update specifically for dvd playback that came with the official remote or perhaps on demo discs as well.

quzar
April 23rd, 2007, 13:00
Not bothering to read the rest of the posts at the moment, my comment on the original 'article':

That article was atrociously written. "I have wrote" ? It says nothing new, nor does it give any sort of unique perspective. It leaves out many things (such as non-emulation homebrew which has no illegality stigma), and overall seems to be written from the perspective of an ignorant teenager with no clue as to what the history is behind any of it.

I especially liked the "Nintendo could sue them" part, because we all know that emulation is totally illegal and that nobody (http://fms.komkon.org/EmuSymbian/) could (http://www.wildpalm.co.uk/SuperGoBoy.html) ever (http://www.spicypixel.com/xwiki/bin/view/MorphGear/WebHome) do (http://www.magicengine.com/) that (http://www.kalemsoft.com/gbulator.html).

XioN980
April 23rd, 2007, 13:09
I think everyone in this thread who DO hate sony are just plain old try hards...

You just dont like sony cos everyone else doesn't like sony, The GP2X is a good example, but the way you used it as an argument is ALL WRONG, you will note that he said "If Sony allowed homebrew FOR USAGE WITH EMULATORS" meaning if they wrote this in the update log they would get sued, GamePark did not do this hence, no lawsuits

It is unfortunate what happened to LikSang, but thats corporate bullying, not an evil attempt to stop homebrew.

JKKDARK: Where in the article did he say: "All the members on DCEMU condown piracy and use homebrew specifically for that reason"

He is right, sony only updated the firmware to stop piracy, again ill use the metaphor: If someone steels from your house, you stop them from breaking in in the future.

Buddy4point0: How have you made the console better: You've just made games, not firmware hacks etc,

In Conclusion:

SONY ARE NOT THE ENEMY, THE HOMEBREW SCENE IS ITS OWN ENEMY:

Why did sony stop homebrew on the PSP? UMD PIRACY

Who made Piracy available on it? THE HOMEBREW SCENE

I am all for homebrew but if you hate sony so much why did you buy a PSP/PS2 in the firstplace.
Quzar raises the ONLY constructive criticism:

Yes his article is article isn't really that unique and there are wholes in it, plus he should have worded it differently but the fact remains that most of the people who dont agree with it are disagreeing for all the wrong reasons and hate sony for all the wrong reasons

Cynidez
April 23rd, 2007, 13:19
and overall seems to be written from the perspective of an ignorant teenager with no clue as to what the history is behind any of it

For the record i am a adult and not a teenager.

I find it harsh to insult the person who wrote the article (me) just because you don't agree with it.

Fair enough you don't agree with the article (your entitled to your opinion) but that doesn't give you the right to call me a "ignorant teenager with no clue"

quzar
April 23rd, 2007, 13:26
For the record i am a adult and not a teenager.

I find it harsh to insult the person who wrote the article (me) just because you don't agree with it.

Fair enough you don't agree with the article (your entitled to your opinion) but that doesn't give you the right to call me a "ignorant teenager with no clue"

I didn't call you an ignorant teenager without a clue, I said the article seems as if written by one, I chose my words carefully and meant only exactly what I said. I agree with most of the opinion points you make, but almost everything you say as if fact, is incorrect.

I was not insulting you, I was stating my opinion as to the presentation of the article, which I found to be quite poor.

Cynidez
April 23rd, 2007, 13:31
I didn't call you an ignorant teenager without a clue, I said the article seems as if written by one, I chose my words carefully and meant only exactly what I said. I agree with most of the opinion points you make, but almost everything you say as if fact, is incorrect.

I was not insulting you, I was stating my opinion as to the presentation of the article, which I found to be quite poor.

ahh i see, sorry for the misunderstanding. :o

I agree it could have been presented better, and the idea was to present it more on general knowledge about Sony, rather than hard facts, so i guess your right.

quzar
April 23rd, 2007, 13:41
ahh i see, sorry for the misunderstanding. :o

I agree it could have been presented better, and the idea was to present it more on general knowledge about Sony, rather than hard facts, so i guess your right.

You miss my point. I was only explaining that what I said was not directed as a personal insult. Most of what you wrote though, was simply incorrect. As I showed by example with the emulation thing.

If Sony wanted to, they could make a NES or SNES emulator that ran off UMD, came with a few games that they own the property to, as well as some PD ones, that could read roms off a MS. If they were to do so, Nintendo couldn't do a damn thing about it, at least legally. Why don't they? What would they have to gain from it? Better public image? Not really. The percentage of their users who run homebrew on their machines is MAYBE with some creative rounding, 1% at most (about 24 million psps sold giving the GENEROUS estimate of 240000 homebrew users), and these are the people who are MUCH more likely to simply pirate the games for the system and never buy movies on UMD. What reason would they ever have then, to do something like that? None.

Larry
April 23rd, 2007, 13:54
No, they're not.
Thats the problem when people try to fight piracy with "logic" they get it wrong.
They aren't losing money that they were not going to get anyways.

They're losing possible profit, but not definite profit.

If someone had no intention of ever buying a certain game, then if they download it, sony is not losing money. Because if that person wasnt able to download it, and wasn't going to buy it then they cant lose money they dont have or were never going to get.
Alot of people download games on a trial bases, you know who you are, you download a game, play it for 20minutes, and decide you dont like it and just delete it or never play it again.

Until the money is made, it cant be lost. Only possible profit can be lost. Which has about as much backbone as possible profit from lottery tickets.
So unless everytime someone pirates sony's current budget decreases, IE for every game downloaded sony's bank decreases in 5$. They arent losing money.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8536/piracy5cigi0.gif

Not everyone is going to agree with that, but that doesn't matter.
The true logic still stands, you cant lose money you dont have. And possible income/budget does NOT count as money you have, only money you COULD have had.

quzar
April 23rd, 2007, 14:11
No, they're not.
Thats the problem when people try to fight piracy with "logic" they get it wrong.
They aren't losing money that they were not going to get anyways.

They're losing possible profit, but not definite profit.

Yes they are. The worth of a company like Sony is, in large part determined by their sales, so with piracy not only do their sales decrease, but confidence in the selling ability of the company also decreases which lowers it's net worth. Hence, piracy causes them to lose money.

What IS absolutely silly is when they say things like "piracy has cost us 200 million dollars" and they do literally base it on a difference between their projected sales, actual sales, and how many downloads of illegal games they see online.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 14:54
[...]aside from releasing mandatory firmware patches who's only purpose is to seal a small homebrew leak.

Again, whatever.

Besides, if Exxon-Mobil or Montsanto made a game console, would it be any better to say "Exxon is not the enemy because their wifi controllers rule!"?

lying about their specs, did that let people not get interested with the ps2? how not, if it was the most successful system in the market.

And your last statement is pointless.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html
http://digg.com/gaming_news/EA_regre...ving_on_to_Wii
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155564

Sure, if you say so.
Nice Sources you got there, too bad their false, FFXIII is still exclusive, and its the main two FF games which are exclusive to PS3 (FFXIII and Versus), remember there will be at least 6 different FF XIII games.

Well done for swallowing Sony's rhetoric so well. I was going through this in my head last night.

1. To my knowledge there are no UMD burners in existence except those controlled by Sony. You cannot buy counterfit UMDs. Period. Nor can you burn them at home.

Unlike the other consoles on which piracy is/was pretty prevalent (eg. the Playstation, PS2 or Dreamcast) there is no way that you can have one or two tech-savvy people per area downloading games and burning them, then selling them off cheap to their mates. Nor do you have big illegal factories running churning out piles and piles of counterfit game discs.

well i am sure that it is suffering from piracy, why else would there be 70,000+ members on a certain psp iso site i go to.

sabernet
April 23rd, 2007, 16:21
congratulations on questionably debating one point per quote...

I mean, seriously, that whole first block you quoted and all you can say is "Well...I don't care they lied about their specs...".

Oh yeah, and the 1up link is factual and varifyable, the EA article appears to have been cropped by the forum software, I'll try it again:

1 (http://www.dealbreaker.com/2007/02/wii_dont_need_no_eaducation.php)

As for FFXIII:

1 (http://www.thetanooki.com/2007/04/17/final-fantasy-xiii-not-ps3-exclusive-who-else-gets-it/)
2 (http://www.fragland.net/news.php?id=16170)
3 (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2007041916556375064&releaseId=2006050916639984077)

splodger15
April 23rd, 2007, 16:31
[QUOTE=Cynidez;411419]

[\QUOTE]

Companys are losing money everyday. Its not as if they are going to run out on it the money they lose is like interest on all there other money.

Most people pirate games for a reason is for the price. I mean £35 for a game when with that £35 I could buy something I actually need

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 17:39
I think everyone in this thread who DO hate sony are just plain old try hards...

You just dont like sony cos everyone else doesn't like sony, The GP2X is a good example, but the way you used it as an argument is ALL WRONG, you will note that he said "If Sony allowed homebrew FOR USAGE WITH EMULATORS" meaning if they wrote this in the update log they would get sued, GamePark did not do this hence, no lawsuits

He is right, sony only updated the firmware to stop piracy, again ill use the metaphor: If someone steels from your house, you stop them from breaking in in the future.

Why did sony stop homebrew on the PSP? UMD PIRACY

Who made Piracy available on it? THE HOMEBREW SCENE

I am all for homebrew but if you hate sony so much why did you buy a PSP/PS2 in the firstplace.
Quzar raises the ONLY constructive criticism:

Yes his article is article isn't really that unique and there are wholes in it, plus he should have worded it differently but the fact remains that most of the people who dont agree with it are disagreeing for all the wrong reasons and hate sony for all the wrong reasons

Okay, "Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong and is just doing it to fit in and be cool". That's not really a reasoned argument and makes you come off like a rabid fanboy. Also, I don't even know what a try-hard IS.

Firstly, your house metaphor is SO broken I can't even begin to sensibly refute it. I'll attempt to anyway - firstly, MY PSP is NOT Sony's house. If it's anyone's house, it's mine. I bought it, I own it. I don't license it, I don't rent it, I own it. If I want to blow it right open then it's no-one else's business but my own.

Yes, the homebrew scene made piracy possible, but, sorry, in this case you can't have one without the other. Reverse engineering the machine and gaining the level of understanding necessary to run homebrew software on it also necessary leads to the ability to run pirate games. The one cannot happen without the other.

Futhermore, you don't know the motivations of the people who originally did all this hard work. Dark_Alex, for example, wrote an ISO loader before making the custom firmwares. I personally believe that you all owe the pirates a debt of gratitude for opening up the console - I doubt it would have happened without them.

I maintain that I hate Sony for all the RIGHT reasons, thank you, and you have made no constructive arguments to convince me otherwise.

well i am sure that it is suffering from piracy, why else would there be 70,000+ members on a certain psp iso site i go to.

Basil Zero, you have no idea how many of those 70,000 people are actively using pirate games. Equally, you have no idea how many of them have legitimately purchased UMD games. I'm guessing quite a few, if not most.

Even if you do accept piracy, you have no way of showing that that pirated game has lead directly to a lost sale. As other people have argued, there is nothing to say that the person who pirated that game would have otherwise bought it.

I just do not believe that piracy is a significant enough factor in poor PSP game sales, and furthermore, I don't think you'll find any independent commentators claiming that either. The only people shouting about how much piracy is hurting them is Sony.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 17:59
Okay, "Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong and is just doing it to fit in and be cool". That's not really a reasoned argument and makes you come off like a rabid fanboy. Also, I don't even know what a try-hard IS.

Firstly, your house metaphor is SO broken I can't even begin to sensibly refute it. I'll attempt to anyway - firstly, MY PSP is NOT Sony's house. If it's anyone's house, it's mine. I bought it, I own it. I don't license it, I don't rent it, I own it. If I want to blow it right open then it's no-one else's business but my own.

Yes, the homebrew scene made piracy possible, but, sorry, in this case you can't have one without the other. Reverse engineering the machine and gaining the level of understanding necessary to run homebrew software on it also necessary leads to the ability to run pirate games. The one cannot happen without the other.

Futhermore, you don't know the motivations of the people who originally did all this hard work. Dark_Alex, for example, wrote an ISO loader before making the custom firmwares. I personally believe that you all owe the pirates a debt of gratitude for opening up the console - I doubt it would have happened without them.

I maintain that I hate Sony for all the RIGHT reasons, thank you, and you have made no constructive arguments to convince me otherwise.

Basil Zero, you have no idea how many of those 70,000 people are actively using pirate games. Equally, you have no idea how many of them have legitimately purchased UMD games. I'm guessing quite a few, if not most.

Even if you do accept piracy, you have no way of showing that that pirated game has lead directly to a lost sale. As other people have argued, there is nothing to say that the person who pirated that game would have otherwise bought it.

I just do not believe that piracy is a significant enough factor in poor PSP game sales, and furthermore, I don't think you'll find any independent commentators claiming that either. The only people shouting about how much piracy is hurting them is Sony.

well its been two years that the psp has come out, and only 2 games made it to platinium. lets see thats 1,000,000 units sold to make platinum, and barely as well.

Compare that to how many psps sold: 20+ million.

If you look at the figures, its quite easy to tell that the PSP is lacking in software sales.

SteveV2
April 23rd, 2007, 18:01

Well, you go to any shop in the U.K now, PS3s everywhere.

Wiis? Not a chance, sold out and pre ordered still! I went into my local GAME. They said i'd get one in 6 weeks!?!

DS Vs PSP, what's the sales gap between these two then?

If you ask me, the consumer has spoken, in fact, they've screamed from the rooftops.

I do argee however that the PS3 needed the blu ray. Someone already said 9 gig's not enough.

nebulator
April 23rd, 2007, 18:06
70,000+ members on a certain psp iso site i go to.

umm ...those that where members before like we could use no umd ...would of had to buy atleast 1 umd. so thats like 60,000 umd's bought, allowing like 10,000 to be using the demo disc ( me ) lol

Oh and didn't like EVERYONE buy Gta liberty city ? i know i did to downgrade and well play, lag'd playing it via iso.. ( bassing the Everyone thing on that you can't find an unpatche gta anywhere ...)

P.s Didn't like the "story"...

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 18:13
well its been two years that the psp has come out, and only 2 games made it to platinium. lets see thats 1,000,000 units sold to make platinum, and barely as well.

Compare that to how many psps sold: 20+ million.

If you look at the figures, its quite easy to tell that the PSP is lacking in software sales.

I didn't claim that software sales weren't low. However, it's not enough just to say "oh well, sales are low, everyone must be a dirty pirate". There's no definitive link there. There could be any number of other reasons for the low software sales, not least the high price of games and the lack of attractive titles.

quzar
April 23rd, 2007, 18:15

Wiis? Not a chance, sold out and pre ordered still! I went into my local GAME. They said i'd get one in 6 weeks!?!

If you ask me, the consumer has spoken, in fact, they've screamed from the rooftops.

I do argee however that the PS3 needed the blu ray. Someone already said 9 gig's not enough.

I don't see how that argument works. It's quite possible to have multi-disc games. With the hard drive present in any PS3, you could even make a buffer so that while you're playing the game, the entire first disc is copied, leaving the second disc able to contain only unique data (in order multi-disc games, a lot of space was taken by common things that needed to be duplicated on each disc).

Also, the compression technologies availible nowadays would be extremely easy to use on something like a PS3 that has ample memory and processing power. The PS3 having a blu-ray drive is 100% due to Sony agenda and has nothing to do with games 'needing' it.

I want to see what game on the PS3 takes up more than 15gb (single double sided disc) that doesn't simply fill the disc up with unnecessarily large, poorly compressed HD-FMV and audio.

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 18:18

I already knew that, and hope there will be one left for me to get soon.

Last i heard was few months ago:

DS= 30+ million
PSP= 20+ million

Oh and didn't like EVERYONE buy Gta liberty city ? i know i did to downgrade and well play, lag'd playing it via iso.. ( bassing the Everyone thing on that you can't find an unpatche gta anywhere ...)
It was only released in NA and Euro, not in japan, i'm pretty sure there would of been more sales in japan, but more pirated than actually own i can tell you that.

didn't claim that software sales weren't low. However, it's not enough just to say "oh well, sales are low, everyone must be a dirty pirate". There's no definitive link there. There could be any number of other reasons for the low software sales, not least the high price of games and the lack of attractive titles.
I didnt say that everyone's a pirate either, i'm just saying the majority of people know now due to the news making and the talk about homebrew in the PSForums. Along with that, everyday more people are learning about what they can do with the psp.

I do not think its because of the "Lack of Good Titles", if you look at the list, the psp has a decent collection. And about price, psp games are actually the same price as ds games, i can only remember 1 or 2 psp games that are actually 50 bucks, other than that, i've seen only up to 30 bucks.

Narcotize
April 23rd, 2007, 19:40
Most people pirate games for a reason is for the price. I mean £35 for a game when with that £35 I could buy something I actually need

Bingo.

I want an HDTV, but I also want games, and music, and sequencing software.... lo and behold, Mr Torrent site gives option to take away cost of the majority of those and focus on the big HDTV.

There is alot of stuff out there that is begging for our cash, and we want to spend it. If there is a means for some of that expenditure to be cut freeing funds to focus elsewhere, then there are enough cheeky Delboy's to go for that option.

Some people will stick to honour and buy after a trial, some will think "well I could spend 25 notes on this... but then again, I fancy a pint at lunch"...

ab_geee_eee
April 23rd, 2007, 20:33
i liked it :)

Joe88
April 23rd, 2007, 20:52
What now?DDR is on the 360 and Gamecube, Dynasty warriors is coming out for the DS and GBA, and DBZ Budokai Tenkaitchi 2 is out for the Wii. Seems %100 to me.

lolz

who even plays those games
there not even good
there horrible

your acting like GoW is on the 360 or something :rolleyes:

Basil Zero
April 23rd, 2007, 21:47
congratulations on questionably debating one point per quote...

I mean, seriously, that whole first block you quoted and all you can say is "Well...I don't care they lied about their specs...".

Oh yeah, and the 1up link is factual and varifyable, the EA article appears to have been cropped by the forum software, I'll try it again:

1 (http://www.dealbreaker.com/2007/02/wii_dont_need_no_eaducation.php)

As for FFXIII:

1 (http://www.thetanooki.com/2007/04/17/final-fantasy-xiii-not-ps3-exclusive-who-else-gets-it/)
2 (http://www.fragland.net/news.php?id=16170)
3 (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=2007041916556375064&releaseId=2006050916639984077)

Once again its rumored and once again unofficial news, Squareenix did not announce this nor did any of the big RELIABLE sites.

Square Enix has now confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII will not be exclusive to the PlayStation 3. In addition to the PS3’s two games (Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII Versus), a FFXIII game will be released for mobile phones. Most importantly, however, was Motomu Toriyama’s comment that other consoles will be receiving the eagerly anticipated and Famitsu most-wanted Final Fantasy XIII. The question is, which systems?

like i said, A final fantasy XIII game will come out on other systems, not THE Final Fantasy XIII. Remember, there ARE 6 Different FFXIII games, its been stated rumorly, that FFXIII and Versus XIII will be exclusive on PS3, Agito on Cell Phone, a title named Herasis(or something) for Xbox360, a unamed XIII title for Wii, and a XIII title for both PSP and DS.

And dont tell me how to answer your comments, ok:mad: , ok, did it matter if they lied about the specs, geez, you have to admit, the ps2 is the most successful game system since SNES. And if your so mad about them lying about the specs, dont buy the system, and let all the other millions of fans enjoy their games.

btw, the sources you posted on FFXIII, all got their "Source" from the same UNRELIABLE site, PS3Center.

solid12345
April 23rd, 2007, 22:14
The ignorance in this thread astounds me. People act like Sony "owes them homebrew". For one thing, Sony didn't even have to PRODUCE the PSP for your consumption much less open it up.

Sony is a corporation. The corporation's motive is to make money, end of story. Sorry but Sony does not make money from homebrew. Are they losing alot from piracy? Probably not as much as they state they are, but still they gain NOTHING if they were to open up to homebrew. They can't sell emulators, only a few hundred (if even that) would purchase an official SDK, thus there is no profit motive in opening the PSP up.

Also, if you don't think piracy hurts, take a look at the demise of the Dreamcast. Not every kid may know how to download ISO's off the net, but many people around Asia know how to buy 1 dollar CD-R copies off the streets. There is more to piracy than just the geeky 1% who are on torrentspy.

BTW, I find it funny you hypocrites say you hate Sony yet buy their product. Don't like their policy? Save your money and buy a GPX2, I mean seriously this is just bizarre thinking. "I hate you, now sell me your product NOW"

SpooForBrains
April 23rd, 2007, 22:20
The ignorance in this thread astounds me. People act like Sony "owes them homebrew". For one thing, Sony didn't even have to PRODUCE the PSP for your consumption much less open it up.

Sony is a corporation. The corporation's motive is to make money, end of story. Sorry but Sony does not make money from homebrew. Are they losing alot from piracy? Probably not as much as they state they are, but still they gain NOTHING if they were to open up to homebrew. They can't sell emulators, only a few hundred (if even that) would purchase an official SDK, thus there is no profit motive in opening the PSP up.

Also, if you don't think piracy hurts, take a look at the demise of the Dreamcast. Not every kid may know how to download ISO's off the net, but many people around Asia know how to buy 1 dollar CD-R copies off the streets. There is more to piracy than just the geeky 1% who are on torrentspy.

Not for the PSP. There are no 1 dollar CD-R copies for the PSP, correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I find it funny you hypocrites say you hate Sony yet buy their product. Don't like their policy? Save your money and buy a GPX2, I mean seriously this is just bizarre thinking. "I hate you, now sell me your product NOW"

I'm not a hypocrite. I would not have bought a PSP myself, I would have bought a GP2X. However, my wife bought one for me. Now I have it, I love it. Doesn't mean I have to bow down and kiss Sony's ass. They're NOT a nice company.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2007, 23:01
lolz

who even plays those games
there not even good
there horrible

your acting like GoW is on the 360 or something :rolleyes:

I sensed a joke in there somewhere. The first part sounded serious, but by the rolleyes and gears crack...lol :D

As for the buying Sony's products....no dip, stupid. I bought a PSP before they turned retarded. PS3 has potential. Sony would charge a buck for each pixal on the screen if they could. Sony attitude toward their finances is discusting.

Hence, no PS3 for me.

And no. The N64 is so far the most succesful since the SNES. And after that will come the all knowing Wii. :)

Basil Zero
April 24th, 2007, 00:01
And no. The N64 is so far the most succesful since the SNES. And after that will come the all knowing Wii

Wrong, the PS1 creamed the N64, i hate to admit it since i didnt have ps1 and had a n64.

SNES and PS2 are two of the most successful systems.

Joe88
April 24th, 2007, 05:49
I sensed a joke in there somewhere. The first part sounded serious, but by the rolleyes and gears crack...lol :D

God of War FTW :D

Cap'n 1time
April 24th, 2007, 06:14
Wrong, the PS1 creamed the N64, i hate to admit it since i didnt have ps1 and had a n64.

SNES and PS2 are two of the most successful systems.

This is according to wikipedia (which may be inaccurate).

SNES sold ~49 million world wide
N64 32.93 million world Wide
PS1 102.49 million Wold Wide

I dont see how that could be accurate. While i dont doubt the ps1 kicked the n64's ass i think nintendo recieved much better sales than that.

Shadowblind
April 24th, 2007, 06:22
God of War FTW :D

Oh. Yeahhhhh......lol, been Xbox Living too much I guess.

Cap'n 1time
April 24th, 2007, 06:29
Oh. Yeahhhhh......lol, been Xbox Living too much I guess.

heh, I thought he meant Gears Of War also...

Joe88
April 24th, 2007, 06:55
well since god of war came out about 1 year before gears, its gets the acronym :D

sappo
April 24th, 2007, 11:46
Quote:

It was only released in NA and Euro, not in japan, i'm pretty sure there would of been more sales in japan, but more pirated than actually own i can tell you that.

They ACTUALLY hate GTA-style games in Japan :D

Basil Zero
April 25th, 2007, 00:18
They ACTUALLY hate GTA-style games in Japan

Oh really:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was released in Japan on the 25th of January, 2007, and sold 227,261 units in its debut week. San Andreas outperformed the second best seller, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, by over 120,000 units.

The game has undergone multiple edits, as a result of scrutiny and complaints by the media. The japanese version makes it, among other things, impossible to hit dead civilians, and has been given the strictest age rating - Z. [Gamasutra]

Rockstar has previously had successful launches with both GTA3 and GTA Vice City in Japan. All-in-all a successful launch for Rockstar and Capcom in Japan.

http://www.gtasanandreas.net/news/index.php

Dont believe that source, than check this out: http://kotaku.com/gaming/media-create/gta-san-andreas-bitch-slaps-japan-sales-charts-233338.php

This is according to wikipedia (which may be inaccurate).

SNES sold ~49 million world wide
N64 32.93 million world Wide
PS1 102.49 million Wold Wide

I dont see how that could be accurate. While i dont doubt the ps1 kicked the n64's ass i think nintendo recieved much better sales than that.

I agree, N64 must of sold at least twice as that amount. And Snes more than that too.

jamotto
April 25th, 2007, 04:53
units sold
PS1 102,490,000
PS2 91,390,000
NES 62,780,000
SNES 49,020,000
N64 32,930,000
Genesis 30,750,000
Xbox 21,900,000
GameCube 18,800,000
SMS 13,000,000
Dreamcast 10,600,000
Saturn 9,260,000
TurboGrafx-16 2,500,000
3DO 700,000

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/section-printpage-126.html

Cap'n 1time
April 25th, 2007, 05:06
units sold
PS1 102,490,000
PS2 91,390,000
NES 62,780,000
SNES 49,020,000
N64 32,930,000
Genesis 30,750,000
Xbox 21,900,000
GameCube 18,800,000
SMS 13,000,000
Dreamcast 10,600,000
Saturn 9,260,000
TurboGrafx-16 2,500,000
3DO 700,000

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/section-printpage-126.html

Thanks for that. The PS1 sales figures seem strange to me still... as do the n64 figures.

Joe88
April 25th, 2007, 05:40
looking at that list I see that the first counsel in the series have sold the best and 2nd and 3rd gen ones cant live up to it ...
it may be due on age also ...

jamotto
April 25th, 2007, 06:06
Thanks for that. The PS1 sales figures seem strange to me still... as do the n64 figures.

I think you have to take into account that the PS1 had a production run of 11 years (1995 - 2006) vs the 5 years for the N64 (1996 - 2001)

Cap'n 1time
April 25th, 2007, 07:03
I think you have to take into account that the PS1 had a production run of 11 years (1995 - 2006) vs the 5 years for the N64 (1996 - 2001)

That is a pretty good point. IIRC when the PSone (little guy) was released it sold very well even though the PS2 was just out, or coming soon.

quzar
April 25th, 2007, 07:50
I wonder if it would ever be possible to find statistics on how many of those ps1s or ps2s were bought due to the person's original one being defective.

PSPFR3AK
April 25th, 2007, 13:47
Because the PS2 was such a crushing global failure
:confused:

Basil Zero
April 25th, 2007, 16:32
Ya, if the ps2 was such a global failure, guess that makes N64, SNES also a global failure eh?

lol

anyways, i'm amazed thats all the N64s that have been sold, even SNES.

But you have to admit, SNES is a classic system and gotten alot more popular due to part of emulation as well.

Shadowblind
April 25th, 2007, 16:41
Yeah, but Wikipedia is obviously wrong to that effect.

chino18
April 28th, 2007, 05:55
Hi!
I have a 2.81 psp. How can I downgrade it to 1.50 without using GTA Liberty's UMD?
Thanks!!!!!