PDA

View Full Version : Sony Are Not The Enemy

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 18:59
I have wrote this story exclusivly for Dcemu because i feel the site needs news articles from inside the site too, to go along with external news.

Sony, what do we know about them?

They created the Sony PSP for one thing, but many users hate them.

Users say that Sony are denying them the right to use the hardware that they payed for to its full potential. But are they? No.

Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured.

So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal playing of ISO's and PS1 games from your memory stick, they release another update that fixes the leak.

Lets look at it from Sony's point of view, they make there money on software sales not hardware sales.
So every time a firmware is cracked to allow the illegal use of software on it they are loosing money.

And because its a fine line between homebrew and Iso loading they have to block them both out of there official firmware, so they don't loose out on software sales.

Another side to it is Emulators, now the majority of emulators are legal, but another interesting legality issue has arisen.

Say Sony decided to support homebrew in official firmware, you could play all your Snes, Genesis, N64 etc games on your PSP for free.
Nintendo of course now own the rights to sell some of those games on there virtual console for the Wii, so if Sony allowed users to play those games on there PSP's on official firmware, Nintendo could potentially sue them for it.

So to reflect, you can see why Sony cant allow Homebrew in Official Firmwares. We should stop focusing on that and give Sony there due's for creating such a revolutionary Hand-held console for us all to enjoy.

Don't forget, without Sony there wouldn't be a PSP so just remember that next time your ready to slate them ;)

Did you like this article? (Please tell me if you did)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Are_Not_the_Enemy

Give Feedback Via Comments

steve520
April 22nd, 2007, 19:24
I like Sony they make the PSP fun to hack and enhance the PSP and I enjoy the battles between the hackers and Sony and they invented my favorite thing the PSP

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 21:12
"Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured."

Because the PS2 was such a crushing global failure, and piracy clearly destroyed all of Sony's profits.

Also their, losing, dues

scarph
April 22nd, 2007, 21:13
Sony has made it there stance from day one that they were going to do there up-most to prevent piracy on the PSP console. It was the first Sony console to have any firmware updates, Sony clearly were not happy with all the piracy that the PS2 endured.

Should be utmost, not upmost

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 21:15

Should be utmost, not upmost

are you sure?

Makaveli777
April 22nd, 2007, 21:24
I like this article. I still fail to understand the misguided hate towards Sony. Especially since their systems always have good games.

IM back!
April 22nd, 2007, 21:32
nice article.

Go Sony! :D

JKKDARK
April 22nd, 2007, 21:35
Are you an idiot? Do you think most of the people here use custom homebrew firmwares for illegal stuff? You are totally wrong. I use a Game Boy Advance emulator dumping the bios from my own GBA, same for the games.

Cokemusic
April 22nd, 2007, 21:39
$ony aren't completley in the wrong for blocking firmware downgrade but I gotta blame some one for not being able to downgrade my PSP and enjoy the magical home of homebrew.

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 21:39
Are you an idiot? Do you think most of the people here use custom homebrew firmwares for illegal stuff? You are totally wrong. I use a Game Boy Advance emulator dumping the bios from my own GBA, same for the games.

Im not saying everyone uses it for illegal stuff, that would be naive.

What im saying is that, the small majority that do use it for illegal stuff are whats causing Sony to take this stance on it.

SpooForBrains
April 22nd, 2007, 21:44
How quickly people forget. The reason a lot of people have a lot of dislike for Sony is not just because of their constant quest to destroy the homebrew scene (although that doesn't endear them to me much either, even if one does grudgingly have to admit that they might - might, mark you - face a legal problem if they do not). Sony have a history of pissing off their customers:

Remember Lik-Sang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lik-Sang)? That nice import company that Sony sued into the ground?

Remember the rootkit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) fiasco?

Well, I do, and lots of others here do too. While I love my PSP and think it's possibly the single coolest gadget I have ever owned, do NOT deny me my right to dislike and distrust the corporation that spawned it.

Cynidez
April 22nd, 2007, 21:47
How quickly people forget. The reason a lot of people have a lot of dislike for Sony is not just because of their constant quest to destroy the homebrew scene (although that doesn't endear them to me much either, even if one does grudgingly have to admit that they might - might, mark you - face a legal problem if they do not). Sony have a history of pissing off their customers:

Remember Lik-Sang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lik-Sang)? That nice import company that Sony sued into the ground?

Remember the rootkit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal) fiasco?

Well, I do, and lots of others here do too. While I love my PSP and think it's possibly the single coolest gadget I have ever owned, do NOT deny me my right to dislike and distrust the corporation that spawned it.

Interesting take on it. + rep

blueasseddwarf
April 22nd, 2007, 21:48
I don't completely agree with this. I give Sony tons of credit for the making of the console. I bought a PSP when they first came out, mine is one from the very first shipment. I also would like to say Sony has done a good job innovating the system with tons of updates like the web browser and the PS1 Emulation. One comment I would like to make, though, is that while the PS1 Emulation was great, they kind of encouraged piracy when they released it. The reason they encouraged it was because they made the games only downloadable on the PS3 for one and secondly, they have hardly any good games on the PS3 for download... Thus, any smart human being is going to make ISO copies of their PS1 games they own, for example FF7 and download a custom firmware so that they can do what they wanted to, play PS1 games. I for one, would pay to download a PS1 game if only I didn't have to first reach deep in to my wallet to buy a PS3, only to be further upset by the lack of support in game downloads.

And as for people doing illegal things on the PSP, Sony needs to get over that. There is always going to be somebody doing something illegal. It is just the day and age that we live in.

Ci5tm Konfliqt
April 22nd, 2007, 21:53
they make enough money and homebrew is such a great thing. especially the fw mods they really rock. sony should save themselves the trouble and just leave the hombrew scene be. Also getting someone to make all these new fw updates can't be free !

DragonSpawn
April 22nd, 2007, 21:54
Personally I couldn't care less about their anti-piracy policies and such, since that is their right. What really annoys me with Sony though is how they love to piss on people that love their products. Like for the launch of the PS3. They knew Europeans love the PlayStation and would buy the PS3 since they are big fans of Sony. And for that reason only they delay the European launch for several months since they would rather flirt with the americans. And then to top it off there was the pricecuts in japan and the backward compatability for PS2 games on the European PS3s. That just really annoys me. To not value the people that love them. If I didn't love the PlayStation systems id hope they went out of business >_>

Uberman
April 22nd, 2007, 21:56
Sony takes a somewhat tyrannical hand with its customers, and a destroy-or-be-destroyed view of its competitors (I believe the term "Bushido Business Model" has been coined to describe it). It's not just the PSP and their attempts to squelch homebrew, other areas of Sony business are treated in this fashion. As SpooForBrains points out, rootkits were a tremendous giveaway that Sony thinks it should just be dominant over its customers, and that their customers should smile and bow and accept. However, I've run into the Sony business model (contempt for customers) in other places (anybody remember SOE and Star Wars Galaxies?).

Sony's hardware division has always created impressive products, and it is for that reason alone that I've stayed with them. Sony's software divisions are the "bad guys", however, and no amount of argument will ever convince me differently. Sony's actions speak louder than anybody else's words.

yoshinatsu
April 22nd, 2007, 21:58
Personally I couldn't care less about their anti-piracy policies and such, since that is their right. What really annoys me with Sony though is how they love to piss on people that love their products. Like for the launch of the PS3. They knew Europeans love the PlayStation and would buy the PS3 since they are big fans of Sony. And for that reason only they delay the European launch for several months since they would rather flirt with the americans. And then to top it off there was the pricecuts in japan and the backward compatability for PS2 games on the European PS3s. That just really annoys me. To not value the people that love them. If I didn't love the PlayStation systems id hope they went out of business >_>
That's true. I lived that thing.

**1_Man_Matrix**
April 23rd, 2007, 04:36
Excellent article.

Sony are a business, and they've given us an amazing product. Actually, a very broad range of amazing products, and they are just trying to protect themselve's.
Then again, they do piss on people. I'm an Aussie, and we got our's late, and excellent games like Rainbow Six keep getting delayed. Not to mention the software compatibility issues with PS2 games... Sheesh...

**OFFTOPIC QUESTION!**
My PS3 will NOT find the 1.70 update... I have the correct heirarchy ofcourse, ROOT > PS3 > UPDATE > PS3UPDAT.PUP

I've tried from a DVD, USB and my PSP, and still it's unable to find the 1.70 update?
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I installed 1.60 without any problems from a USB stick.

Are the PS3 updates region encoded? As in, Maybe it can't find it, because it's not the right regions update, but you are able to install the wrong region on PSP's?

Any ideas? :D Cheers!

**EDIT**

Turns out the PS3 only accepts Region based Updates. So if your haven' trouble head on over to your countries offical Playstation site and grab your countries PS3UPDAT.PUP ;)

magneto
April 23rd, 2007, 14:18
Sony will not support homebrew because of legal issues. Thats why we have crackers to do the job.
Now if someone can just crack the ps3 that would be nice!!!!!