PDA

View Full Version : MapThis 0.498 Speed Bug

sk8er girl
April 23rd, 2007, 17:36
Hi All I'm new here I'd like to first thank Deniska and the other devs for such a great application. Ok my problem with this latest beta is my speed keeps going wierd even though i'm standing still, the pointer on the map goes walk abouts lol. Please help what's doing this.

I am on 3.40 oe a CF using 2.71 usbacc and 3.40 usbgps. Using psp-290 gps

Thanks

Jayne x

deniska
April 23rd, 2007, 18:17
Hey, I admire your creativity, but let's keep the font's and sizes standard, just for the sake of readability ;-)

The problem that you have described probably has something to do with poor satellite reception during that session...
The receiver recalculates the location every second based on received data. so if the signal is weak the chance of error increases.. - so yes your coordinates may change even if you stand still...
For the same reason the speed can be non-zero at standstill...

You best bet is to:
-adjust the receiver - so it has better view of the sky (try tilting it- see what works best)
- try to exchange it - perhaps you can get one with better sensitivity. (I have two PSP-290 units, - one has definitelly better sensitivity than the other...)

sk8er girl
April 23rd, 2007, 18:45
Thanks Deniska and I'm sorry about the font colour and the size (slaps hand lol). I'll give it a go as I was inside when I tested it out. So what prx is better then 2.71 with 3.40 or 2.71 with 3.30?

Thanks again can't wait for more updates

Codaz
April 23rd, 2007, 22:43
Nice, a girl with technical PSP-GPS knowledge :)

But indeed it has something to do with reception. Also, mind the weather. If it's raining your reception will be bad and a bad HDOP (negative difference) value will appear.

You could try to use the 3.10 prx files, both of them. Why do you use 2.71 and 3.03, and not 3.40 and 3.40 ? They are the ones that come with your firmware.

Raiderman
April 24th, 2007, 14:10
You could try to use the 3.10 prx files, both of them. Why do you use 2.71 and 3.03, and not 3.40 and 3.40 ? They are the ones that come with your firmware.

I am on 3.30, and tried variouis versions of prx files. 3.30+3.30=error
3.03+3.30=error
2.71+3.30= goodness :)

sk8er girl
April 24th, 2007, 18:44
Thanks Guys for the quick advice and I am happy to be among you in this forum even though I am a girl lol. I use to be a IT software and systems analyst. I just don't have much experience in gps side of things haha this will change in time.

I have gone back to using prx 2.71 with 3.30 and I get fixes with 5 satellites and it finds 8, impressive coding Deniska I've seen the backbone of the structure and I'm very happy with the latest beta.

I have also bought a standalone satnav gps device from maplins £99 its called Aytobe maybe Deniska could look over that and mod it to the psp just a thought, it uses sd/mmc and OS Win CE so u can also use Tomtom v6. I'll let u know if it's any good

Codaz
April 24th, 2007, 20:51
Maybe if Deniska will work on his Generic GPS version.

But Sk8er Girl you can try it if it works. Mount your Maplins to the psp and see what NMEA data you get.

bumper_boy2000
May 5th, 2007, 15:41
sk8er girl which oe fw do you use?