PDA

View Full Version : A draft, Wii Linux bounty

wraggster
April 23rd, 2007, 19:28
News from Wiili.org (http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_Linux_bounty)

WiiLi.org start's the bounty with $499, taken from the original donations made to the site to get the dedicated server.
The Money goes to and is controlled by the people from distrowatch.org, or another well know person/site. osnews? , slashdot?
We can setup a chip-in (created by distrowatch.org?) so that people interested in contributing chipin to the bounty.
Also The chip-in mechanism allows for other people to include the chipin on their sites:
Distrowatch decides on the winner and sends the money.
No time limit, the fund will keep increasing until the goal is achieved.
It's called WiiLi.
Who gets the money?

The first person to:

Boot Linux on the Nintendo Wii without voiding the warranty.
Using attached hardware on USB, etc, is fine, as long it is documented what it does and where to obtain/build it.
X needs to run.
Wiimote, keyboard, mouse, dvd drive, sd-card and network support.
Documentation off the code execution technique on the Wiili.org wiki.
Youtube video and how-to.
Any files used to do it must be provided
Needs to show the full av cable during the whole video to make sure it is for real
No cutting out parts of the video
Just an idea, feel free to contribute. Keep this away from Digg or alike until we have a more precise idea of how to make this work.

It's not an easy task! The chip-in thing could make the bounty go very very high!

Good idea but id rather see a hack to make homebrew on the Wii rather than boring linux :P

jondoe696911
April 24th, 2007, 03:30
this is excellent news, think about it, getting linux to run without voiding the warranty. this could open up a whole new can of worms. i mean if you can get linux to work on the wii, providing its not through the gamecube side, without having to open the case, that would mean the ability to run some unsigned code without an internal modchip. and the way i see it, this will eventually lead to some homebrew. and they are giving a cash reward. an added bonus.

StormB
April 24th, 2007, 03:55
Good idea but id rather see a hack to make homebrew on the Wii rather than boring linux :P

homebrew would def be my long term goal, but dont forget that from linux comes the exploits etc which make homebrew a possibility :)

Shadowblind
April 24th, 2007, 04:12
That'd be so awesome...Civilization Call to power on a console! (Right? This would mean Linux PC games would be playable on the Wii....right?)

souLLy
April 24th, 2007, 09:12
I'd chip in for this, especially if it led to homebrew possibilities on the wii