PDA

View Full Version : Bunjalloo Web Browser v0.1

wraggster
April 23rd, 2007, 21:38
New from Quirky (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13048)

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the IRC channels.... another web browser with a silly title is announced! Except this time it is by someone who has a history of actually releasing things. What's more, here is the first release.

I started this a couple of days before DragonMinded announced his 2.7 alpha series with web browser included. I thought it would be impossibly difficult and so far I've been right. There is a lot of tag soup out there.

It is currently buggy and incomplete. It really does the minimum to allow you to search stuff on Google and that's about it. However, it is proper Free Software (GPL), compiles using all the latest stuff (devkitArm r20, dswifi 0.3d, etc) and there is an issue tracker for you to add your feature wishes/bug reports to.

Please keep in mind:

It uses wi-fi auto connect. So routers only and configured from an official game, I'm afraid.

It has the font compiled in - originally it read them from the card but...

... my EZF 5 has stopped working, so DLDI is now more or less un-testable by me.

The keyboard is crap

It has no history feature (yet)

There is no cache (this is good since it means no corruption and bad since it goes slower)

No, it doesn't support Flash, javascript, images, style sheets (or most HTML in fact).

There is a lot of room for optimisation - "make it right, then make it fast"

I can only test on the phat DS, so it might not work at all on the lite.

That is all for now, hope you like it. Or at least, hope it isn't too offensive to your senses.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

TeenDev
April 23rd, 2007, 21:54
this looks promising actually...

justin350
April 23rd, 2007, 22:29
I think it works on my mmd. it gets to yahoo and stuff ill have to work with it some more :)

mariocdl
April 23rd, 2007, 22:50
I like it so far, even if its in early stages, it is resonably quick. To says its finished all you need to do is sort out the formatting and maby images.

kcajblue
April 24th, 2007, 00:35
hope this gets finished.

ForeverKeo
April 24th, 2007, 15:01
This is a very promising project. I hope you continue your great work on this!

Buddy4point0
April 24th, 2007, 23:10
i really hope this gets finished because it looks very primising.

Mr. Greed
May 4th, 2007, 01:54
crap, i can't get it to work with my ds lite. doesn't connect. even with workaround method :/ any tips? plz

anyone got this to work on ds lite?

toymin80r
May 5th, 2007, 22:37
i dont think the ds itself is why it's not working, it should work on both the DSL and original DS. You probably just have a flashcard that isn't supported by this app.

Mr. Greed
May 7th, 2007, 02:16
i tried it on a phat ds with my m3 simply and it worked fine but doesn't with my ds lite :/

darkhelmet
May 7th, 2007, 02:33
dude, you're rich enough to have a ds AND a dsl, man i envy you. works awsome. first actual web browser on the ds i have been able to use, cuz dso doesnt work for me:( hope you finish it.

witeds
June 4th, 2007, 04:43
it works on mu DSL with mu MMD and it is cool but i cant get it to use yahoo search

rikseaside
June 13th, 2007, 18:59
Why doesn't myspace work on this? :D

Seriously though, it works OK on my "new version of wifi" DSL & R4, at least as far as I can tell considering the early state of the software. This is good news for me, as I've not managed to get anything else to connect properly so far.

Obviously needs a bit more work (the space bar doesn't work for starters!) but it's a great start, and I've even found a practical use for it already: reading the Teletext web page instead of switching on my PC or TV!

Wezwee
June 15th, 2007, 00:19
Wow, its funny how Gnirfleo and Okiwi have caused so much commotion, and they havnt offered us anything. Yet I havnt heard of this browser untill today, and it actually works!

I wouldnt say the keyboard is too bad tbh. I say, keep the interface simple & clean. We'll be paying more attention to the site's we're visiting! :)

btw: Works nicely on my N-card & R4 using DSLites (tried both DS's)

R4yd3N
June 15th, 2007, 10:59
Wow. Works perfectly on my DSL/M3simply. Besides the early development state: great proggi.
I'm looking forward to the next release.
The interface should be the next improvement.

@Mr. Greed: I recommend, if you've turned on WEP disable it. I made the bad experience that not one homebrew works with WEP on my DSL/M3S.

lewislite
June 26th, 2007, 22:45
This aint gonna see anotha update is it?

nickalmighty
June 27th, 2007, 23:26
very nice

could use pics though

Meloku
June 28th, 2007, 17:34
Blank screen with DS Phat and Supercard MiniSD...

EDIT: Thanks SC Magic Homebrew Patcher!!!
it looks good, actually you can search and real Wikipedia content from Google with this. I'm checking now Smash bros. brawl site now! XD (i think blog-based sites can be loaded with text-based interface)
well, the pages dont work as in the PC but the text-based interface is not bad at all... At least it works!

Kulawend
June 28th, 2007, 19:56
this looks promising actually...

Those were the exact words that came to mind (great minds think alike I suppose :p).

I cant wait to see more updates!