PDA

View Full Version : piKey 0.2 is released!

wraggster
April 24th, 2007, 02:43
News from Noobz (http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=1) of an update to the Keyboard driver:

At long last, the new and updated version of πKey is finally released.

This version brings the following major updates:

A new keypress mode, which allows more natural use of the keyboard in action games etc. The default mode is now keypress mode, and the keyboard will switch automatically to text input mode when required.
Custom key-to-button assignment - so now you can define WASD buttons for FPS game movement, as well as cursor keys for XMB movement, for instance.
Support for mapping keypresses to analog joystick movements.
Support for converting keypresses into Danzeff OSK presses - so now you can use your physical keyboard with homebrew that uses the Danzeff virtual keyboard - e.g. AFKIM.
Installer now fixed to correctly install to flash0, to support GAME150 homebrew.
Palm UW keyboard ought to at least partially work, but I can't test it myself.

Optional on-screen status information.
Various minor bugfixes.

You should read the information in the docs/ folder in the release for more details about these changes, as well as instructions on how to install and configure πKey correctly.

There are a few known problems:

Multilingual support isn't great. Especially, the Sony OSK uses different key layouts for different regions, these are not correctly supported yet.
The Danzeff plugin occasionally misses keypresses when you type a lot of text at once.
When putting the PSP in standby, πKey doesn't usually recover properly when power is restored.
It has only been tested on 3.10 OE firmware. It ought to work on other OE firmwares, but I haven't tested it myself.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Buddy4point0
April 24th, 2007, 03:09
i need to buy a keyboard. its so useful and price isnt bad either. thanks for the update on the driver

DarthPaul
April 24th, 2007, 03:24
Great to see they're working on this. Nice update. I fell in love with this already..
Omg Danzeff support...I can't wait to chat on PSP's AFKIM with my Keyboard...

pspfan
April 24th, 2007, 03:27
Yay danzeff support. Now homebrew will work to in addition to stuff that uses the Sony keyboard. I've got to check to see if my Palm keyboard works and get a new one if it doesn't This is really a great project!

gunntims0103
April 24th, 2007, 03:33
i cant believe AFKIM works on this. Can anyone suggest a keyboard that this app supports?

Thanks

IamAbe
April 24th, 2007, 03:40
is this ir only or does it support usb(i have an adapter)?

DarthPaul
April 24th, 2007, 03:46

It supports USB.

i cant believe AFKIM works on this. Can anyone suggest a keyboard that this app supports?

Thanks

Targus Universal Wireless is the best keyboard working on this. Here's a screen of the keyboard.

IamAbe
April 24th, 2007, 04:06

It supports USB.

thats awesome! so would any normal usb keyboard work? what about a ps/2 one with an adapter?

also, whats AFKIM?

thanx

DarthPaul
April 24th, 2007, 04:13
thats awesome! so would any normal usb keyboard work? what about a ps/2 one with an adapter?

also, whats AFKIM?

thanx

That keyboard should work,it's not bad to test..

AFKIM = AwayFromKeyboardInstantMessenger.

As it says,it's an Instant Messenger,very nice. It won the last 2 NeoFlash Competitions. The latest version is 3.0. Give it try. :P

Check it here: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57099

pibs
April 24th, 2007, 05:23
Nice ill be sure to try this one out with the adapter :crosses fingers that it works:

SpooForBrains
April 24th, 2007, 09:52
Unless they've done some very serious work I'm not aware of, this does NOT support USB keyboards. It doesn't even (yet) support a normal keyboard with an IR adapter.

ETA: I was right. You can only use an IR keyboard, or a keyboard connected by an adapter to the serial port (where the PSP remote plugs into).

Still, I'm impressed with the work they've put into this. The readme is easily the most professional I've seen accompanying a piece of homebrew.

Fanjita
April 24th, 2007, 10:15
It supports USB.

Nope, not at all. No USB support, it isn't possible at this time.

Targus Universal Wireless is the best keyboard working on this. Here's a screen of the keyboard.

Yep, the Targus is the keyboard that all the testing is done with, so it's by far likely to be the best choice to use with piKey.

P.S. There was a bug in the Danzeff plugin - an updated release is available at www.noobz.eu.

hypochondriac
April 24th, 2007, 10:28
No offence meant but why would anyone want to use instant messenger on psp? I never really understood this. I just use my PC or laptop if I have an urge.

Baboon
April 24th, 2007, 10:37
Nice update.

I've just ordered a 'Targus Universal Wireless' keyboard from ebay... brand new for only £10. :)

Panini
April 24th, 2007, 10:43
Will this work with the gps and mapthis?

Baboon
April 24th, 2007, 13:38
I've heard quake works with this... does anybody know if pspuae is compatible?

DarthPaul
April 24th, 2007, 20:42
No offence meant but why would anyone want to use instant messenger on psp? I never really understood this. I just use my PC or laptop if I have an urge.

Hhm who would use Instant Messenger on PSP?The people that doesn't own a lap-top and want to chat on the go..

gunntims0103
April 24th, 2007, 21:10

Think about it, a small device that enables you to chat online through AIM and MSN. This is great for just laying out and having some quick WiFi signal and there you go instant messaging on the go. The extra keyboard support that Fanjita is providing us with is a great bonus.

Yep, the Targus is the keyboard that all the testing is done with, so it's by far likely to be the best choice to use with piKey.

Im definitly thinking of getting a Targus keyboard. Are they sold at Radioshacks? Ill definitly have to check!

pspfan
April 24th, 2007, 23:52
I've heard quake works with this... does anybody know if pspuae is compatible?

Does PSPUAE use the Danzeff keyboard? If so it should work.

IamAbe
April 25th, 2007, 00:58
It supports USB.
Nope, not at all. No USB support, it isn't possible at this time.
o well, hopefully it will soon. its definitely possible, why wouldn't it be? i remember seeing somewhere that psp couldn't host a device, but it definitely can, eg. the camera.

hatrix
April 25th, 2007, 06:32
so is the palm universal keyboard workable this time?

it says partially from somewhere i read

SpooForBrains
April 25th, 2007, 10:42
The readme says it "should work at least partially" but that Exophase can't test it himself. From memory

Fanjita
April 26th, 2007, 16:24
The readme says it "should work at least partially" but that Exophase can't test it himself. From memory

Hmm, I don't remember Exophase having much to do with the project ;)

blueasseddwarf
April 27th, 2007, 02:38
Hey, is anyone havign success with this? I can get my keyboard to work perfectly when I disable the plugin settings in the recovery mode and I run the test program.. Other than that this program doesn't seem to work outside of the test program.. I am currently running 3.30OE.. Are there any reports of 3.30OE working? I know it's not the keyboard and I know the PSP is getting the input.