PDA

View Full Version : Listen up Sony: Open up the PS3 RSX Under Linux

wraggster
April 24th, 2007, 20:03
via gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/listen-up-sony-open-up-the-ps3-rsx-under-linux-254876.php)

Here's the petition to open up the PSX's RSX under Linux. This is why you should sign it: You see, when Sony announced that it was going to allow people to install Linux on their PS3s without going through backdoors, everyone rejoiced at all the possibilities of playing back DivX and using it as a DVR under Linux. But if you've gone through the process of installing Yellow Dog Linux onto your PS3, you'll note that something's missing. Namely, hardware support.

You see, right now the Linux on PS3s have no access to the RSX (the graphics processor), which means playing back DivX or using any kind of meaningful graphical app is out of the question. Not to mention emulation (SNES, NES) gaming or real gaming under Linux. So go over and sign that petition so we can actually use Linux for something useful.

More Info (http://www.petitiononline.com/RSX/petition.html)

F9zDark
April 24th, 2007, 21:05
Signed. I hope this petition bears fruit, because as of now Linux kinda sucks without the RSX. And with RSX support it may be possible to output different resolutions to the TV, making it more linux friendly.

Nicko01
April 24th, 2007, 21:22
Signed 4 times :)

mavsman4457
April 24th, 2007, 22:58
Holy crap this is a very necessary thing to have in PS3 Linux and a very good reason for an exploit. I wish Sony would give it to us through Linux so we don't have to get our hack on. This would bring tears to my eyes. (Signs petition)

ElRazur
April 25th, 2007, 13:37
Signed 4 times :)

It is because of people like you that sony would never ever take note of such petitions.

Mr. Shizzy
April 25th, 2007, 15:26
signed :)

NoQuarter
April 25th, 2007, 15:38
Please,all you wonderful members of dcemu,help us ps3/linux users out.Petitions do work!After all that's why there was ps2 linux(although It it sucks and isn't free)It can happen,we justv need to show sony there's a serious need.It could possibly increase demand if the ps3 was a fully functional computer.

aries2k4
April 25th, 2007, 17:26
Ya everyone help out. I signed it a few days ago. It might not lead anywhere but at least $ony would know that there are many unhappy PS3 Linux users out there.