PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii Keyboard, or “Wiiboard”, Rumored

JKKDARK
April 25th, 2007, 01:13
via Gizmo Cafe Blog (http://www.gizmocafe.com/blogs/gizmo_cafe_blog/archive/2007/04/24/nintendo-wii-keyboard-or-wiiboard-rumored.aspx)

The Nintendo Wii sure doesn’t look like a computer. The tiny console, which launched with much fanfare alongside the massive and massively unsuccessful PlayStation 3, features motion-sensitive gameplay – and little else. Despite the console’s missing media features – what do you expect for $250 – it does include a web browser, and may soon supplement the experience with a Wii Keyboard, or what we’re affectionately calling, “Wiiboard”.

Although cutting through the air with the Wiimote is met by on-screen Wii Sports tennis backhands and home run slices, the device is incapable of many other, comparably standard functions, like high resolution visuals or even DVD playback. Although these shortcomings have led some consumers to opt for Sony or Microsoft next-gen consoles, the Wii’s Opera browser has been an attractive, PC-like draw to some gamers.

Opera was recently upgraded on the Wii, boasting a more capable search engine and click-‘n-drag functions. However, complaints persist, with many owners frustrated at the controls. One key suggestion? A USB keyboard.

Word that this might just be on the way comes from Joystiq via Wii Fanboy via Game Informer (phew!). The latter’s May 2007 issue states:

“Nintendo’s development team says that it is considering adding a keyboard peripheral to the system in order to make online surfing easier.”

Most Nintendo users agree that using the Opera browser is anything but handy, and yet Nintendo appears devoted to making that experience a positive one. It’s strange sentiment from a company that appeared determined to make the Wii the anti-Xbox 360, anti-PS3, anti-PC.

BlueCrab
April 25th, 2007, 03:33
Moved to the Wii news forum.

Broonale
April 25th, 2007, 05:40
I'd buy one!

linkenski
April 25th, 2007, 07:19
It's A Kiiboard Not A Wiiboard!

Cap'n 1time
April 25th, 2007, 07:26
KiiWii!

GazeboflossUK
April 25th, 2007, 15:19
I'd get one too.

That article is terrible though. Such an obvious attack on the Wii most of the time.

Why can't people just like things for what they are intended for??? I mean, the article almost describes the Wii like it can't manage all these "standard" functions - when in fact it currently doesn't have them because it was designed that way!

The Nintendo Wii is the Nintendo Wii.

What an idiot.

Cap'n 1time
April 25th, 2007, 17:32
I'd get one too.

That article is terrible though. Such an obvious attack on the Wii most of the time.

Why can't people just like things for what they are intended for??? I mean, the article almost describes the Wii like it can't manage all these "standard" functions - when in fact it currently doesn't have them because it was designed that way!

The Nintendo Wii is the Nintendo Wii.

What an idiot.

Blame the source, not the news poster.

GazeboflossUK
April 25th, 2007, 21:54
Blame the source, not the news poster.

Yes, I know. I should have said I wasn't having a go at the poster.

I just assumed people would have realised that I was talking about the article and therefore not the person who posted it.