PDA

View Full Version : Sony rolls out speedy Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo cards

wraggster
April 26th, 2007, 01:33
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/25/sony-announces-speedy-memory-stick-pro-hg-duo-cards/)

Sony first announced its speedy new Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo cards all the way back in December, but it's now finally gotten a bit more specific about them, including providing the all important details on pricing and availability. Set to be available in 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB capacities, the cards boast a new 8-bit parallel interface that Sony says translates to a 30MB/sec transfer rate, which makes 'em about three times faster than the standard Memory Stick Pro. To take advantage of all that speed, Sony's also providing an ExpressCard adapter for the new Memory Sticks, although they will still be compatible with standard 4-bit parallel interface hardware, albeit at a significantly reduced speed. While there doesn't appear to be any word on how much the adapter will cost, you can look for the cards themselves to set up back $60, $90, and $150 for the 1, 2, and 4GB variations, respectively, with all three available in August.

Basil Zero
April 26th, 2007, 02:25
bah, why bother, why cant people just be patient

because why would anyone bother wasting more money on buying adapaters.

kcajblue
April 26th, 2007, 04:24
really.
just buy a regular memory stick.
no need for some newer special one.

Video_freak
April 26th, 2007, 04:41
But you guys don't understand, it's .5% FASTER to write to your memory stick. And it only costs 25% more. You NEED this.

http://www.cabel.name/images-post/2006/01/roflcopter.gif

steve520
April 26th, 2007, 04:58
Wow thats really cool....yeah right thats really dumb I agree with Basil Zero just be patient cause I know I am not wasting money on a new memory stick that goes a tad bit faster

felonyr301
April 26th, 2007, 06:42
People just get yourself the sandisk Ultra II memory stick which is fast enough for the price compare to this (if it really is the fastest?) hell I got my Ultra II 4gig for $93 on newegg.

Veskgar
April 26th, 2007, 08:45
Yeah, a 4GB Ultra II is really the best way to go.

I'm still hoping for that 32GB high speed PRO Duo that was rumored a while back. It will almost certainly require firmware updates to get a 32GB stick to be compatible if one was ever released. Hopefully at that time, people will still be decrypting the new firmware updates.

But anyway, enough dreaming. A 4GB Ultra II should be able to tide me over for at least another year.

aznTerz
April 26th, 2007, 09:11
i guess high speed transfer isnt wat we really need atm....
we mostly need a memory stick with lots of gbs.... ex 32gb lol

Baboon
April 26th, 2007, 09:20
I'll stick with my sandisk 4gb card thankyou very much.

...and I bet ya within a week of the release of the PRO-HG Duo cards you'll find cheap (obvisouly fake) versions of them on ebay! lol

$ony should concentrate all their efforts on making a decent battery for the psp, that lasts as long as something like the DS or GBA, rather than crap like this.

burrito
April 26th, 2007, 12:12
In a year, the new 4gb will cost about $60, and the normal 4gb will be $30 I hope.

Axelius
April 26th, 2007, 12:43
I hope that with the release of this ultra-cool-fast-awesome stick the prise of the normal sticks will fall...

burrito
April 26th, 2007, 12:48
People just get yourself the sandisk Ultra II memory stick which is fast enough for the price compare to this (if it really is the fastest?) hell I got my Ultra II 4gig for $93 on newegg.
4gb sandisk ultra II has been $83 for a while if you use google checkout
http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-4gb-ultra-ii-memory-stick-pro-duo/q/loc/101/202636843.html :)

Buddy4point0
April 26th, 2007, 20:30
http://www.cabel.name/images-post/2006/01/roflcopter.gif

...so perfect man

PLZKLLME0080
April 26th, 2007, 20:34
But you guys don't understand, it's .5% FASTER to write to your memory stick. And it only costs 25% more. You NEED this.

:rofl: LOL!

carlitx
April 26th, 2007, 21:31
bah, why bother, why cant people just be patient

because why would anyone bother wasting more money on buying adapaters.

because my friend, people are stupid. i agree with you

Solidsnake3000
April 26th, 2007, 22:52
..._...|..____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____|]=
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

well any way i will ntbe getting one iam good at le sony should b tryin to help us out with a hardrive because the internet goes way slow for me

LilSwish722
April 27th, 2007, 00:20
I think this is stupid...although i do need a 4GB or 8GB card...i have a 2GB and have 181MB left. Bleh...why do you need a faster card...i mean, i have a normal SANDISK one and it transfered this 325MB game in about 2 minutes...thats good enough for me

morbis
April 27th, 2007, 09:03

It's actually 3 times faster.

If this works for PSPs and I'm in the market for a new memory stick (and assuming I have the money for it), it would look tempting.