PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Elite vs PS3, which is more 1337?

wraggster
April 26th, 2007, 20:46
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/black-on-black-xbox-360-elite-vs-ps3-which-is-more-1337/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/xbox-360-elite-vs-ps3.jpg

Mirror, mirror on the wall, which black high def console is the 1337est of them all? We know some people were bummed that the Xbox 360 didn't get to compete in the 2006 Engadget Awards with the PS3 and Wii (hey, it was launched in 2005!), but now's your chance to square off the two most expensive game consoles around. So who's gonna take it, Sony's piano black PlayStation 3, or Microsoft's matte black Xbox 360 Elite?

Tree
April 26th, 2007, 21:07
ps3 easy some of me m8s who ave come round my house have said to me :O "i wish i would of saved for a PS3 now :(" nd stuff like that not one of them have said it anit as good ...

F9zDark
April 26th, 2007, 21:41
It was interesting how shortly before the console wars, companies stated that 'black' is out, since its reminiscent of the electronics of ancient times.

Yet, to combat the PS3's sexiness, Microsoft goes and makes their Elite colored black, which isn't even a nice color. It looks like shit on the Xbox. Seriously, its as though they went to the hardware store and bought some spray paint.

At least the PS3 looks like a show car, with a nice shiny, jet black coating.

SSaxdude
April 26th, 2007, 21:49
The only advantage the PS3 has over the Elite is Blu-Ray. But seeing as 360 has better games now, the 360 has the edge.

Accordion
April 26th, 2007, 22:01
. But seeing as 360 has better games now, the 360 has the edge.

better games?

ha!

motorstorm is the best game of the year!

Demibeard
April 26th, 2007, 22:08
Hmm, I can honestly say I like PS3s styling better and aside from a bolted on HDMI port I can't see too much to be Elite about.
Does anyone know what the other differences are between the two xboxes? I would have a look, but I'm browsing from my PS3 and I'm afraid that reading about an xbox might cause Microsoft to think they have sold another one or something. ;-)

ICE
April 26th, 2007, 22:11
ive always thought the ps3 looked a bit odd. thats not to say that the 360 doesnt too but i still think the misshapen ps3 is uglier.

Man
April 26th, 2007, 22:13
Motorstorm is a horribal game, i absolutly could not stand playing it

Accordion
April 26th, 2007, 22:17
Motorstorm is a horribal game, i absolutly could not stand playing it

i prefer to sit down when i play...this is no the Wii!

Hiei311
April 26th, 2007, 22:33
umm ps3 looks 100% sexyer becuz the 360 black looks like crap i mean come on now u can tell its
plastic plastic, the xbox looked better in black cuz it was shiny when 360 came out i thought it was bad in white but know i see the black one its sucks, and people ps3 just came out in a year time there will be great games

SSaxdude
April 26th, 2007, 23:11
motorstorm is the best game of the year!

That's the best joke of the year. I'm not going to get into how good Motorstorm is (it's ok but nothing special) but you just said Motorstorm is better than Halo 3, GTA IV, and many other games coming out at the end of this year.

10shu
April 26th, 2007, 23:28
I think the ps3 got a better look...
Now, the 360 got definetly the best games , best graphics...and best gamepad on the market...

PLZKLLME0080
April 26th, 2007, 23:34
Microsoft goes and makes their Elite colored black, which isn't even a nice color. It looks like shit on the Xbox. Seriously, its as though they went to the hardware store and bought some spray paint.

:rofl: ya you're right!

But seeing as 360 has better games now, the 360 has the edge.

one of my freinds said that the rumored "FF7 remake" was confirmed and will be coming out for the PS3, and yes he knew that it was rumored from the tech demo, hes not just thinking that. im still not sure if he's right though. if he is... :eek: :D

Destroyer699
April 26th, 2007, 23:39
I perfer the 360 because it has better games. I could care less about the graphics end, the games are all I want as long as they look semi-nice(in terms of graphics).

Accordion
April 26th, 2007, 23:52
That's the best joke of the year. I'm not going to get into how good Motorstorm is (it's ok but nothing special) but you just said Motorstorm is better than Halo 3, GTA IV, and many other games coming out at the end of this year.

if you think those are good games then im not going to convince you otherwise

Video_freak
April 26th, 2007, 23:58
The finish on the PS3 is better looking, but I like the shape of the 360 better. In terms of games, I have no idea what's out for the PS3 so I won't mak an opinion about which console is best for gaming. (Although I really like the 360's controller.)

Accordion
April 27th, 2007, 00:19
360 analog sticks are better, but the shape of the controller doesnt suit me as well as the PS.

and while matt black looks poor, the gloss, dust magnet ps3 looks good until you touch it, making you feel bad about it for ever!

much like the psp, i think sony want the users to feel as though they are not worthy of the console- it works too

eazy-e
April 27th, 2007, 01:02
the 360 looks horrible it looks like itz been spray painted.. the ps3 is shiny black

sony all the way

DPyro
April 27th, 2007, 03:05
This one's easy. PS3 wins over X360 simply because the only thing the Elite offers is a bigger HDD and HDMI. I mean, it doesn't even come with wireless or HD-DVD which just goes to show that Microsoft isn't committed to HD-DVD. PS3 comes with HDMI, a 60GB HDD which is easily upgradeable, wireless, and can run any version of Linux out of the box. No comparison with games right now since X360 has been out longer and was in the same position PS3 was in when it was released. Games for PS3 will come fall/winter 2007.

ICE
April 27th, 2007, 04:34
the ps3 may have a better finish but its still the most oddly shaped thing ive ever seen..

mnuhaily22
April 27th, 2007, 06:25
360 will just screw up again...PS3 all the way, and it is a little misshaped, but that makes it even nicer...lol

alienanthropologist
April 27th, 2007, 20:26
Ps3 is a hideous monstrosity. What possessed Sony to make such a ghastly looking crature eludes me. Maybe that's why the boss of Playstation got sacked. Lack of taste. Lack of style.

F9zDark
April 27th, 2007, 21:12
Ps3 is a hideous monstrosity. What possessed Sony to make such a ghastly looking crature eludes me. Maybe that's why the boss of Playstation got sacked. Lack of taste. Lack of style.

First off, he retired, secondly, you being a Wii user its clearly evident how your standards for design stand.

The PS3 is a computer, not a console. And don't bash it because Sony made motion sensing better than Nintendo did, or that Sony made a console thats 100x more powerful than the Wii.

alienanthropologist
April 27th, 2007, 21:58
Come on, man, Ps3 is an overgrown, overpowered, overpriced last gen console/blu ray player. It's noisy, and it really does have an awful look about it. Not surprised it's doing so pitifully.

I feel sorry for the Playstation Boss. He was probably showered with praise when PS2 was doing well and now that the new machine's turned out to be a flop he gets a kick out of the back door.

He messed up, ok, but making him leave is a bit harsh.

First off, he retired, secondly, you being a Wii user its clearly evident how your standards for design stand.

The PS3 is a computer, not a console. And don't bash it because Sony made motion sensing better than Nintendo did, or that Sony made a console thats 100x more powerful than the Wii.

eatnooM
April 27th, 2007, 22:37
Overpowered? Anyone with a gaming PC will tell you there is no such thing :p

Last-gen? Please, look at the Wii's specs before calling anything last-gen. I don't care too much for graphics myself, as long as it appears "clean", but if we're on the subject of technical inferiority...

Overpriced? Alright, I'll give you that one. ;)

Being a massive fanboy will get you nowhere. Feel free to call me a Sony fanboy, but I'll let you know there's no way in hell I'm buying a PS3, in fact if any next-gen console, I'll get the Wii, but I just can't stand when people start talking crap regardless of what they stand for.

On-topic: PS3 cos it can run Linux and has shinies. ^^

Triv1um
April 27th, 2007, 22:45
PS3 > xbox 360

ICE
April 27th, 2007, 23:02
the only reason that the ps2 was great was it had the dvd player. i'll explain.

the ps2 was a CHEAP dvd player in a time where EVERYONE wanted them. plus it played games lol. due to that fact it easily had the largest install base it also had the most 3rd party support.

now, however, the install base is not in sony's favor at all. i predict that the majority of 3rd party publishers will do what makes them the most money: make games for the console that the most people have.

the ps3 is very powerful true, but its also not appealing to the majority of modern gamers. install base wins wars and ps3 is losing that battle by a landslide.

xbox 360>ps3

Cap'n 1time
April 27th, 2007, 23:26
In terms of appearance, id say the PS3 is a sexier console (though i sort of hate the bulky shape). Even so, Id be more likely to buy a 360 core system than either the Elite or the PS3.

F9zDark
April 28th, 2007, 00:03
Come on, man, Ps3 is an overgrown, overpowered, overpriced last gen console/blu ray player. It's noisy, and it really does have an awful look about it. Not surprised it's doing so pitifully.

I feel sorry for the Playstation Boss. He was probably showered with praise when PS2 was doing well and now that the new machine's turned out to be a flop he gets a kick out of the back door.

He messed up, ok, but making him leave is a bit harsh.

The PS3 is the quietest console next to the Wii, so I don't see where you are getting this crap.

Overgrown? What?

Overpowered? Haha are you being serious? Just because Nintendo decided to skimp on power for the Wii, doesn't make all other consoles overpowered. Hell, if the PS3 wasn't 'overpowered' Stanford University wouldn't have decided to make Folding@Home for PS3.

Its not doing pitifully... Nintendo has a record of selling big in the beginning, then losing in the end, why if this was not the case then the Playstation brand wouldn't have been the reigning console champion for the last 10 years.

I am not a fanboy or anything, but I am realistic. Nintendo will enjoy good sales for 2 to 3 years, but when the experience of the Wii becomes dry and old, they will be left with nothing. As well, having an inexpensive console is a double edged sword: sure everyone can afford a Wii cause its so cheap, but its price tag allows any Wii owner to go out and buy other consoles, and as economics will tell you, fanboys make a system thrive, not those lukewarm for it...

And again, Ken Kutaragi wasn't fired; the PS3 is not some big flop that all fanboys of other consoles would like to believe. Once Home hits, all the other console owners will be crying for the PS3, crawling back with tears in your eyes, hoping Sony will take you back.

Shadowblind
April 28th, 2007, 00:08
Sorry, played a PS3, Resistance. Its good, but....Sorry, I don't buy a system for one good game.

360 owns. Like Einstein once said:

360=Wii>PSP>Gamegear=PS3

'Little mean to the GG though...

ICE
April 28th, 2007, 00:11
look i think everyone can agree that the ps3 is just as near perfect as 360 and wii.

the ONLY drawback i can see is that it only appeals to a small margin of gamers willing to shell out the $$$'s.

sony isnt stupid and im sure they understand that without a good install base 3rd part publishers will stray away so i expect them to continue to do things to make the ps3 more appealing. the question is.. will it work?

Shadowblind
April 28th, 2007, 00:20
Hmmm...now that you put it that way, its not fair of me to say the Xbox or Wii is better. The PS3 has amazing potential. I mean AMAZING. I guess its $ony's antics that distances me from the PS3. Overpricing, charging for the PSX games on PSP, doing pretty much anything for a dollar.... I do like the PS3. I hate Sony and the games that are out or coming out for the PS3. That is why I hate the PS3.

And I hate its controller.

SSaxdude
April 28th, 2007, 00:47
I wonder what the PS3 slim will look like (hopefully not a grill.)

F9zDark
April 28th, 2007, 02:05
Hmmm...now that you put it that way, its not fair of me to say the Xbox or Wii is better. The PS3 has amazing potential. I mean AMAZING. I guess its $ony's antics that distances me from the PS3. Overpricing, charging for the PSX games on PSP, doing pretty much anything for a dollar.... I do like the PS3. I hate Sony and the games that are out or coming out for the PS3. That is why I hate the PS3.

And I hate its controller.

But thats all corporations are about. Really, if one looks at it, Nintendo is the worst of them all when it comes to money. Lets look at it like this:

-Rather than developing a next-gen console, Nintendo took a paltry 1/4 step forward in technology; the Wii is about 1.5x more powerful than a Gamecube.

Yes the price is low, but one must wonder at what COST is it to Nintendo to produce a Wii? Judging from its technological inferiority in comparison to the X360 and PS3, not alot. In fact, the Wii is probably the only console, in history, to earn a company money from its sales.

Now Microsoft.... Hmm... They are far more money grubbing than the Sony to say the least; have to pay for Xbox Live, absolutely no benefits being a gold member (at least File Planet and other services online give subscribers their own download servers, to ensure an expedient download...), the core exists merely as a money pot (anyone stupid enough to buy the core, wishing for the same experience as the Xbox Premium, will have to shell out a good 200 dollars more...)

Yeah Sony charges alot, but we get alot with the 60gb PS3. Not only that, 600$ for a Blu-Ray player is a great deal (critics have also said that the PS3 is the utmost best Blu-Ray player on the market, better than even Sony's stand alone players).

So really, the cost is more than justified. Paying for PS1 titles, yeah that sucks, but I am assuming you have custom firmware, which you don't have to pay anything for PS1 games. And really, its not like Nintendo is any different... N64 games for the Wii cost 10 dollars... NES 5 dollars... Thats absurd!

Hiei311
April 28th, 2007, 02:27
But thats all corporations are about. Really, if one looks at it, Nintendo is the worst of them all when it comes to money. Lets look at it like this:

-Rather than developing a next-gen console, Nintendo took a paltry 1/4 step forward in technology; the Wii is about 1.5x more powerful than a Gamecube.

Yes the price is low, but one must wonder at what COST is it to Nintendo to produce a Wii? Judging from its technological inferiority in comparison to the X360 and PS3, not alot. In fact, the Wii is probably the only console, in history, to earn a company money from its sales.

Now Microsoft.... Hmm... They are far more money grubbing than the Sony to say the least; have to pay for Xbox Live, absolutely no benefits being a gold member (at least File Planet and other services online give subscribers their own download servers, to ensure an expedient download...), the core exists merely as a money pot (anyone stupid enough to buy the core, wishing for the same experience as the Xbox Premium, will have to shell out a good 200 dollars more...)

Yeah Sony charges alot, but we get alot with the 60gb PS3. Not only that, 600$ for a Blu-Ray player is a great deal (critics have also said that the PS3 is the utmost best Blu-Ray player on the market, better than even Sony's stand alone players).

So really, the cost is more than justified. Paying for PS1 titles, yeah that sucks, but I am assuming you have custom firmware, which you don't have to pay anything for PS1 games. And really, its not like Nintendo is any different... N64 games for the Wii cost 10 dollars... NES 5 dollars... Thats absurd!

YES YES YES thank you, it makes alot of sense of what you are saying, and yeah to me 600$ is a good price for a blue ray player and since its a computer like some people say, its also a great price, and it dosnt void ur warrenty if u switch ur hard drive, and people that say 360 graph's are better plz look at ps3 future games on ressitence fall of man that like 25% of ps3's power think of what it would look at 75 or even 100%, if u look at ps2 last few games graph's they were just like xobx's ending be for they decided to kill it. in a year ps3 will do just as good as wii and xbox360 just wait and see, same thing happend with ps1 and ps2 and they won the consul wars

F9zDark
April 28th, 2007, 02:47
Yeah the PS3 is a computer. To buy a computer with even 2 cores, and everything that the PS3 has will run you about 2000-3000 dollars. Granted, the video card will be alot better than what is in the PS3 and you have the ability to upgrade, but 600 bucks for an 8 core CPU computer is NOT a bad deal at all.

Really, try and find any of what comes in the PS3 for computer and build one with it, I gurantee its at least 2000 dollars.

But I must admit a few things:

1)I am not a fanboy, as I stated before; I am merely a realist. I don't hate the other consoles or bash them for no reason or without any real evidence.

2)The PS3 games out now do kinda suck, yeah some are fun, like COD3 and Resistance (even though I don't play resistance much anymore.)

3)I have been a long time fan of Nintendo and in fact, the N64 was the first console I bought with my own hard earned money (when I was 14). But I feel Nintendo dicked me over in two ways:

1)I was going to buy the gamecube, mainly for the next Zelda game. They had images of Link and Gannon going at it in Game Informer, in Gamecube graphics prior to its release; I eagerly awaited that game and was going to buy the gamecube and it once it came out. And what does Nintendo do? They throw us Zelda: Windwaker...

2)I was willing to forgive Nintendo for the Zelda fiasco on the Gamecube (maybe it was a good game, maybe it wasn't but I still felt cheated by them) when I heard of Nintendo Revolution; shit with a name like that it must have been damn good.

Then they whip out the Wii.... Hell even if they made a Black version of the Wii, I might have considered dealing with the name change, but they didn't/haven't yet. All my game time on the Wii has been not only a chore, but makes me feel like a ****ing baby learning to walk again, WITH the crap music to boot. (Seriously, did they contact the makers of Blue's Clues or Dora the Explorer or hell Tele Tubbies, to make their music and sound effects? Sure seems that way to me).

I am a guy, the kinda guy who will sit there playing Metal Gear Solid 3 on extreme, while drinking a can of bud, smoking a cigarette and blasting Pantera's Cowboys from Hell, and Nintendo honestly believes the Wii would appeal to someone like me?

So there you have it...

ICE
April 28th, 2007, 03:49
ive always thought that the ps3 was fantastic. the only thing is that i, much like most people, dont have that much money to spend on a game system. from a logical standpoint install base will always determine the "Winners" and by that logic sony is in trouble.

the BIG problem is that it costs more money to make a ps3 than to sell it. actually it costs a lot more lol. sony simply CANT lower the price any more and still make up for it with software sales.

so if a price drop cant draw in more buyers what can? good games. the only problem is that good games wont be made for consoles that not a lot of people have. at least not 3rd party.

in short: sony, your success is COMPLETELY on your back.

mnuhaily22
April 28th, 2007, 05:14
I am a guy, the kinda guy who will sit there playing Metal Gear Solid 3 on extreme, while drinking a can of bud, smoking a cigarette and blasting Pantera's Cowboys from Hell, and Nintendo honestly believes the Wii would appeal to someone like me?

So there you have it...

lol, I love the way you put that together, because that is almost the same way I feel. My friend went out the other day and decided to buy a Wii, so we were all happy, and getting ready to play his brand new shiny game red steel. I can honestly tell you that is when I decided I aint gonna get a Wii. Red steel shamed the name of gaming forever, I thought of suicide the day I played that, that's how ****ed it was.

On the other hand, I went out and played PS3 at a local game store, they had one with resistance and one with motostorm, and the both kicked some serious ass, so I believe PS3 is the best...

Accordion
April 28th, 2007, 17:46
ive always thought that the ps3 was fantastic. the only thing is that i, much like most people, dont have that much money to spend on a game system. from a logical standpoint install base will always determine the "Winners" and by that logic sony is in trouble.

in short: sony, your success is COMPLETELY on your back.

fortunately sony have a huge amount of possible buyers
the total sold consoles of 2nd and 3rd iterations of the playstation is over 110,000,000!

consider that combined sales of 1st and 2nd iterations of xbox only stands at under 35,000,000 there is a huge number gap between those figures, and if you account some of the ps2 sales down to replacements, you must do the same for the xbox.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
i agree nintendo are giving the worst deal to 'gamers'[and indeed to every buyer when the software drys up ], it has been confirmed that they make profits on all console sales, they are preoccupied with reselling old material, or worse prototype handhelds [original DS] and after having a Wii for under 4 weeks, i thought[and still do] that it is the most depresing product of any nature i have ever bought.

I dont even have a hd tv graphics dont always matter and yes gameplay does, but if that gameplay only last fifteen minutes [wii] or is the same generic crap from 'hollywood' games[360] then whats the point.

as to console image[that is the original topic i think?] the 360 looks like someone trying to hold their stomach in for the camera, and the ps3 looks alot sleeker in real life. [ i actually like it!]

the wii actually looks nice, but the inability to turn it fully off annoys me too much

MattZani
April 28th, 2007, 18:03
PS3 1S L33T!

Elite KN0WS TH3 M34N1NG 0F PH34R!

PS3 OWNZ! Elite is a bad attempt to catch up...

DPyro
April 28th, 2007, 18:28
I'd just like to mention that the Wii is extremely cheap. I just got my Wii back from Nintendo, and it cost them $95 CAN to fix (I think they gave me a refurbished one).

hexmex357
April 29th, 2007, 01:46
why did xbox 360 come with the Elite I thought the original xbox 360 was Next Gen. I spent $600 yes on the PS3. Some people think i'm a fool . The fool is the one who trades their old 360 and gets the elite and still does not have a high def player. Who is really spending more money at the end.

mastersho
April 29th, 2007, 01:50
all about teh xbox 360 el337! Kicks teh PS3's *insert swear word here*