PDA

View Full Version : America Gets the Upperhand (Finally) with Pokemon

wraggster
April 26th, 2007, 21:30
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/pokemon/america-gets-the-upperhand-finally-with-pokemon-255572.php)

Yes, it's finally happened! The Japanese kids finally want something we have. Apparently, the Pokemon players across the pond are making trades with American players for lower-value creatures on the basis that our Pokemon names are more bad-asser:

Japanese players can't enter English characters for their Pokemon names. (And American players can't enter Japanese text.) English words are "cool" for some reason in Japan and since they need American players to trade their Pokemon to get ones with English names, they will make excellent deals (for Americans) to get English-named Pokemon. I believe the game has also sold around 6 million copies in Japan and probably about a million in the US so far, so, theoretically, the demand far outstrips the supply at this point, making sellers market.

Technically, you gotta catch 'em all, so maybe you shouldn't give up some of the more hopeless characters in your army. But hey, it's not like you're trying to rebuild Rome or anything.

steve520
April 26th, 2007, 22:58
HaHa Finally Japenese want something we have since they usually get most of the cool stuff it feels good to have something they want

ShinMike
April 26th, 2007, 23:31
they are so silly lol

yoshinatsu
April 27th, 2007, 02:40
they are so silly lol

Shadowblind
April 27th, 2007, 03:33
Cool. I wouldn't mind helping them out with monsters for changing they're names for them. As a civil duty I'll provide any name they want on any pokemon they want. Long as I can either scrounge to find it or they provide it.

Point it, I'll give whatever name ya want to any Pokemon you want. No price.

Shazmo
April 27th, 2007, 04:07
but when they evolve it goes back to the proper game name:
Eg. Say i got a Japanese (non-nicknamed) Pikachu ( basically Pikachu it katakana) off the GTC and i evovled, itll go to Riachu in ENGLISH,
so unless the japanese ppl dont evolve it, they have the english name.
unless they only get the ledendaries....

redsyrup
April 27th, 2007, 04:14
That is so funny!

Adrenalin
April 27th, 2007, 08:53
Er, i played the jap game, and you can name my pokemon in english....

But, there is less character spaces for some reason ...?

elgoog
April 28th, 2007, 21:12
Er, i played the jap game, and you can name my pokemon in english....

But, there is less character spaces for some reason ...?

Good point, I dunno but my UK nintendo ds (not lite) can do japanese characters, so i have no idea why the japanese cannot do english or the us cannot do japanese, (or english properly :P)

FrierTuck
April 19th, 2009, 23:13
Wait, so the Japanese want American named Pokemon?