PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got the psp290 working in Australia

danloads
April 28th, 2007, 11:39
Hi all
First up I must commend deniska on nice progie that he wrote...well done dude!

Im running 3.10 oe-a FW
The other day I got my psp290 and went through the steps on the home page to get it going....my malfunctions are

1,mapthis V3 seems to work fine, but I dont seem to be getting a sat fix...It tells me I have 7 to 9 sats but when I drive the red arrow doesnt move?

2, I cant get the PSP290TEST(green progie) to work, I get the loading usb accessory module..... and its sits there for about 20secs and then the psp turns off....so I cant even test if the psp290 is working! And I done everything that http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This%21 says to do when getting the .PRX files

And finally when I try to run the newer mapthis e.g 46,47,48,49 it get the blue screen error

can some please give me a helping hand in getting this going as its starting to drive me mental! I tried to go through all posts but dudes keep changing the topic and the original topic gets lost the 80 or more pages!

Thanks in advanced
danloads

kaitoudark
May 1st, 2007, 00:08
I have a different problem, I don't get blue screen at all. I just can't get a fix on the sat even though it shows like 4 or 5 sats. I'm living in sydney, using FW 3.30 OE A2, Mapthis v 0.498.

If your getting the USB error blue screen when running mapthis then its likely a prx file missing. You will need the two USB prx files from fw 2.71 and copy into the mapviewer folder. It should work.

Blyx
May 1st, 2007, 14:27
I got my PSP-290 on the weekend, and I'm running 3.30 oe-a with the 3.30 prx's. So far it generally gets 5 or 6 satellite fixes in the green prog with 40 seconds to 3 minutes. I'm in Perth. I'm using MapThis 0498 and the few times i've used it (I don't have a car mount yet) it has gotten a fix in about 2 to 4 minutes, but it was prone to losing it's signal (again, possibly due to the position I had it in due to the lack of a mount). It's crashed a few times for no apparent reason, but it has great potential.

In MapThis don't forget to turn it to GPS mode. Sounds stupid, but the first time i tried it I sat there watching it do nothing for about 5 minutes.

danloads
May 2nd, 2007, 10:18
well I got the green program going and am getting 8-10 sats and four fixes(in melbourne) but I cant seem to get any V4 mapthis going just blue a screen with "loading usb acc...ect" and then it crashes......

Blyx
May 2nd, 2007, 15:33
Yeah, mine was doing something like that when i was using the 2.71 or 3.03 prx's in firmware 3.30 mode. Maybe you could try just playing around with using different firmware prx's and see if you can chance across something that works?

danloads
May 3rd, 2007, 08:23
I'll ty that thanks Blyx

w3n
May 3rd, 2007, 23:52
I've downloaded the map of Perth and wonder how long it takes to load the map in the GPS?

So far i have left it to load and come back after a while and it's still loading!!

I followed the instructions on in the 'Yet Another FAQ' and haven't got it to load my Perth directory.

The 'Global Map' works however it thinks im in New York for some reason.

kaitoudark
May 4th, 2007, 04:58
I got mine working (^_^)

Blyx
May 4th, 2007, 16:49
How big did you make your map w3n? I made one that covered Armadale to Joondalup and it loads pretty quickly, not like my first try where had to stop it from downloading in GMDL after 15 hours.

pmaxjenkins
May 5th, 2007, 05:51
I have a PSP290 and have run MapThis extremely well in Melbourne and Auckland. The main problem is not having Geodata for these areas. If anyone knows how to get a copy of Geodata files for Australia or NZ please let us know.

w3n - maps should load very quickly (seconds) if they have been created properly.

Blyx - One of my maps of greater Melbourne took all night to create. This is mainly due to the fact that it has to doanload all the map files from Google. Network speed is critical when creating maps.

I am running Mapthis 0.498 on a PSP with FW 3.30 OE and 3.10 prx files.

raj_ace_in
May 5th, 2007, 09:09
i think geodata is only available for US and canada at present.

danloads
May 5th, 2007, 10:35
ok...I get the mapthis V498 to work aven though it freezes up on me now and again...but when I get a sat fix it tel me...map coordinates are not correct to 391.xxxx.xxxx....ect or something along those lines. so im guessing my maps are wrong?....do you guys know if you need the GPSFS files? cuase I deleted them to make room and was sure that I read somewhere that you dont need them....but am not a %100

raj_ace_in
May 5th, 2007, 11:30
to be able to run maps in mapthis programme, you need to have 5 GPSFS in your _mapname folder. plus some small pic files like petrol station, airport signs etc. these GPSFS are actually compressed format of all the pics (tiles) of actual map.

raj

w3n
May 5th, 2007, 13:48
blyx - i left it overnight to download the whole perth metro region..and the total came to be 2.42mb?? how big is ur map??

pmaxjenkins - yeah i would think so too..the new york subway loads very quick but the perth map is really terrible

Blyx
May 5th, 2007, 14:45
w3n - Mine is 94 megs, though I have to redo it it and make it larger (I managed to cut off my sister-in-laws house by about 100 metres). I took out most of the water tiles, but I think I left all of the zoom levels in.

pmaxjenkins - Yeah, I was eager to play with it so i couldn't be bothered waiting for the downloads to finish, so I just made it smaller.

danloads
May 6th, 2007, 08:04
Hey guys in getting message saying "location out of range!!! This map does not cover folling coords:391.xxxxx::xxx.xxxxx"....any ideas??

Blyx
May 6th, 2007, 08:14
Are you sure that the map you made covers the area that you're using it at? Otherwise, maybe it's not getting enough satellite fixes and then giving you the wrong coordinates. Dunno.

w3n
May 6th, 2007, 19:48
raj - ohh i left those files out..but so far i loaded them in but still..no go

blyx - 94 mb include the gpsfs rite?? hmm..i cant seem to get mine loaded for some reason..definately something wrong with my map

m0tyrider
May 7th, 2007, 05:07
I have no idea why you guys are having trouble...sure its a bit of a pain to get it all working correctly at the start but then once you do its really good and works a treat!!!

For $70 its the gps i could ever want!!

:)

Keep up the GREAT work Deniska! :thumbup:

kaitoudark
May 7th, 2007, 06:22
Creating the maps is the most crucial thing, you need to cover a large amount of area where you are living. It will take time to download the map and convert to GPSFS files. My map is the whole NSW and it takes 800mbs (^_^) LOL. I sure got a good fix of my location fast.

danloads
May 7th, 2007, 08:29
My maps is already 400mb but I will make a larger one will tonite and report back.

Blyx
May 7th, 2007, 09:20
Yeah, I'm going to try and make a larger map tonight too, and then just let it go until it's finished.

danloads
May 10th, 2007, 08:24
im still getting the "location out of range!!! This map does not cover following coords:391.xxxxx::xxx.xxxxx"....I might do some more reading maybe I missed something?

opiate81
May 29th, 2007, 05:57
How long is it taking you guys to make your maps?
I tried to get all of tassie on one map and it was going to take 3 days!
Is it illegal to share our maps?

Blyx
May 30th, 2007, 14:42
It takes a fair while. I think i read somewhere on these forums that google cuts you off or something if you get the maps too quickly. I want to make a WA map, but i don;'t want to have to leave it running for so long. Maybe I should kick it off on my wife's computer.....

An0nJ0hn
May 30th, 2007, 21:47
It takes a fair while. I think i read somewhere on these forums that google cuts you off or something if you get the maps too quickly. I want to make a WA map, but i don;'t want to have to leave it running for so long. Maybe I should kick it off on my wife's computer.....

My map of South Florida (U.S.A.) is 3.07 GB on disk and it took me longer than overnight to make. It works great and was well worth the wait. I tried many times to make it using google maps and every time it failed. I ended up using a Microsoft Virtual Earth Hybrid map and it succeeded. I can see my home on the map and most of the streets are marked (all but some crummy side streets that don't matter). Hopefully, for your guys sake, Microsoft V. E. covers your area as they seem far more lenient to the large file downloads. Good luck.

Blyx
May 31st, 2007, 02:14
Cool. I might give that a try then. Cheers for the suggestion.

nagelixin
June 2nd, 2007, 13:58
I bought my first psp today. I'd love to get map this running but it is a simple straight forward process? I've just seen so many sites and I am a bit daunted by it.

My current sony firmware is 2.71 (K)

Also is it possible to use maps from the UBD Australian cities cd?

Blyx
June 4th, 2007, 12:15
I guess it depends on your level of proficiency as to how simple it is, but it's somewhat straight forward if you can follow the step by step instructions (sometimes finding them can be tricky). The hardest part i found was when i was trying to extract the prx files because i couldn't find the right psar dumper program for the 3.30 firmwares.

Stick with it and you'll get there, and be prepared to do a lot of reading and searching for tutorials.

Leake
June 11th, 2007, 15:34
I guess it depends on your level of proficiency as to how simple it is, but it's somewhat straight forward if you can follow the step by step instructions (sometimes finding them can be tricky). The hardest part i found was when i was trying to extract the prx files because i couldn't find the right psar dumper program for the 3.30 firmwares.

Stick with it and you'll get there, and be prepared to do a lot of reading and searching for tutorials.

Blyx,

It took me a couple of days (but quite a few hours each day) to get my head around it all, and installed and running successfully. I'm just getting some VE Hybrid maps for Sydney and Nth and Sth coast (I live in Sydney) which is taking ages, but as far as just getting Syd CBD (MS VE or Google maps) it's quick and works a treat.

If you have problems, let me know (spam.leakey at gmail dot com) and I'll post my MapThis! Mem card files.

Blyx
June 11th, 2007, 15:51
Yeah, mine's up and running as well, and it works well (with the exception of some random crashing). I've made a perth map which I have to redo because I accidentally managed to cut off some of the far north suburbs, and I have a couple of further zoomed out country maps. So far i've only tried google maps (I had a go with a VE map but it would constantly crash the PSP if i tried to open it).

All in all it's a nice little program.

Leake
June 12th, 2007, 09:15
I've also get it running successfully (see post http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65458). It occassionally crashes which is due, it seems, to large maps. I'm in Sydney.

To be honest, I've had no real problems.

Blyx
June 12th, 2007, 13:48
That's about the only issue i am having too. I find that loading a small map first and then loading the large one seems to work sometimes. It's a beta though so I can be forgiving. The map i made of perth works fine so i'm happy.

riceboi
June 13th, 2007, 02:41
Hi Guys,

I've just recently tried this homebrew app out and looks quite interesting.

Im currently using the mapThis version 0.499 on custom firmware 3.40oe-a
using a psp-290 gps
not sure on usb drivers as i got it off some other guy on this forum which got it working.

i currently have a map of the sydney cbd area and all loads fine.

GPS state is ON though i am having problems with finding and locking on to satillites.

Im at work at the moment on the top floor of my building (lvl 23) and im not really getting anything.

Any ideas with what the problem might be ?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Leake
June 13th, 2007, 04:03
Riceboi,

I'd say it's because you're not outside mate. Mine doesn't lock inside, I don't think anyone's does, but it locked pretty quickly outside running the same software as you.

Others seem to be saying that the Holux GPS devices (as opposed to the PSP-290) seem to detect satellites better, but mine get's a lock in the car most of the time too so I'm not too worried.

riceboi
June 13th, 2007, 06:56
thanks Leake,

Probably best i get my a55 outside and go for a walk and let you know how i go :)

riceboi
June 13th, 2007, 08:13
well i finally had a chance to get outside and go for a 1/2 hour walk, during the last 2 minutes i had 8 satallites in view which 3 were fixed and then mapThis crashed :(

ohwells, at least i know it works :)
more testing over the next few days :)

riceboi
June 14th, 2007, 00:53
Had a go again lastnight in the car and was able to pick up 10 sats and fix onto 4. GPS mapping is pretty good and spot on, went driving for roughly 1/2hr and only dropped out a couple of times but other than that was pretty stable and didnt crash.

its just ashame we arent able to input a destinations.
does anyone know how to create a 'geodata.dat file to be able input co-ordinates or destinations for Australia or Sydney for that matter ?

raj_ace_in
June 22nd, 2007, 12:53
at the moment, geodata is available only for usa and canada.

dj_eddie
July 14th, 2007, 06:12
at the moment, geodata is available only for usa and canada.

I did some googling and found this site claiming to have geodata for international streets.
http://www.killetsoft.de/p_prei_e.htm#intstreets

Looks like Australia is 750EU

Here is a test file for some cities in Europe.

http://www.killetsoft.de/zip/geodatis.zip

If you are from any of these countries can you please test them and let us know how you went??

This may prove that USA and Canada might not be the only places with GeoData.

If im on the wrong track here please let me know.

Im under the impression that geodata is part of the mapfile which includes lat and long at street level thus allowing mapthis to show us where places are on a map.

Hope this helps us aussies!!!!

Cheers

Eddie

midnitez
August 8th, 2007, 03:18
Hi everyone,

I'm on holiday in Melbourne and I was hoping to use the psp290 to do my navigating, however I seem to be having the same problem as danloads had. It keeps saying that it is out of range and the latitude data goes way out to the 300 range when it should only be in the 37 range in Melbourne. Has anyone have the same problem before and somehow resolved it?

Appreciate the help! In the meantime, it's back to looking at Melway... :(

PDG
August 8th, 2007, 08:32
I got my GPS working in sweden just fine, check my sign for guides, maby that helps you :)

damono
August 8th, 2007, 09:07
I picked up my GPS PSP-290 unit today and it works just fine over here in perth

MangoBanana
August 8th, 2007, 11:12
I picked up my GPS PSP-290 unit today and it works just fine over here in perth

Same here, just received GPS today and signal has been good.

PS: I am in Perth too.

sneaky101
August 8th, 2007, 12:53
I'm between Gold Coast and Brisbane at the moment, got 11 satelites, and 8 fixed. Droolin (:

@ PDG
""How do i get MapThis + PSP-290 GPS and my maps working?""

This tutorial kicks a$$, I recommend it to anyone that's having trouble getting mapthis to work.

Kudo's to you PDG

damono
August 8th, 2007, 13:02
on a somewhat related subject, does anyone have any poi's for WA?

sneaky101
August 8th, 2007, 13:48

not at the moment. we'll just have to wait. because its hard to find any geodata for any part of Australia.

[random]
Would it be possible to pull apart a TomTom and converts all the geodata?
PS: i'm not a coder. so dont say: NO U

PDG
August 8th, 2007, 13:55
I'm between Gold Coast and Brisbane at the moment, got 11 satelites, and 8 fixed. Droolin (:

@ PDG
""How do i get MapThis + PSP-290 GPS and my maps working?""

This tutorial kicks a$$, I recommend it to anyone that's having trouble getting mapthis to work.

Kudo's to you PDG

Cheers dude ;)
Im a bit Dyslectic and tierd so if i missed some spelling or maby should explain certain parts better just let me know and ill fix the flashguides right away, i have all the original files and it isnīt that hard compiling one that has been spellchecked ;)

inthemix
August 11th, 2007, 14:32
[random]
Would it be possible to pull apart a TomTom and converts all the geodata?
PS: i'm not a coder. so dont say: NO U

I'd also like to know if it is possible to convert the maps that come with tomtom/navman etc GPS units and extract geodata from them.

Ninja_NZ
August 11th, 2007, 22:52
I'm in Christchurch, New Zealand and yesterday I had 10 satellites in view and 9 fixed walking around outside my house on 3.40 OE-A and PSP-290.

I would also like it if there was geodata for NZ.

sneaky101
August 12th, 2007, 03:33

found.
http://www.gps-data-team.com/
POI's for all of Australia and alot of other countries.

Also:
I have Garmin MapSource for Australia [2006].
It has every street name and location of the street in it. Along with every train station, shopping centre, and every cafe/restaurant.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5563/garmin1pu7.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5563/garmin1pu7.jpg)http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7727/garmin2ff6.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7727/garmin2ff6.jpg)

sounds delicious.