PDA

View Full Version : "Where Sony went wrong..."

Shrygue
April 28th, 2007, 17:47
via PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/28/where-sony-went-wrong/)

We all know that Krazy Kenny K officially announced (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/26/ken-kutaragi-to-retire-go-back-to-space-ship/) that he was stepping down from his PlayStation empire this week, signaling the end of an era and the end of an explosive career. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Kuturagi is scape-goat #1 for any and all of the PS3s alleged failings (which include, but are not limited to, high production costs, launch shortages and lower than desired post-launch sell-through.)

Given the abrupt end to the Kuturagi saga, the analysts are already coming out with their takes on "what went wrong." Business 2.0 writer Chris Taylor has plenty to say on how Sony lost their lead and has "lost this round of the console wars to its Japanese rival, Nintendo's Wii." While we think it's too early to be making those kind of calls, the article is interesting -- even if we don't agree with the analysis in whole (or even in large part). For our lazier readers, Business 2.0 provides these key lessons from Sony and Kutaragi's PS3 development:

Focus on making a better controller, not relying on the same "handheld mess of buttons" (i.e. Dualshock design = failure)
Don't put drives in your console that are too slow to properly load games (I'm not making these up)
Build a console that only costs $150 like the Wii (they have since corrected this little doozy of a detail)In the end, it turns out that this is really an article about what Nintendo may have done right. And there's no doubt that Sony has done -- and is doing -- some things right as well. We'll see how that plays out in the months and years ahead. Then we'll declare a winner (that's your cue, Xbox fanboys... attack!).

Accordion
April 28th, 2007, 18:03
via PS3 Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/28/where-sony-went-wrong/)

We all know that Krazy Kenny K officially announced (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/26/ken-kutaragi-to-retire-go-back-to-space-ship/) that he was stepping down from his PlayStation empire this week, signaling the end of an era and the end of an explosive career. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Kuturagi is scape-goat #1 for any and all of the PS3s alleged failings (which include, but are not limited to, high production costs, launch shortages and lower than desired post-launch sell-through.)

Given the abrupt end to the Kuturagi saga, the analysts are already coming out with their takes on "what went wrong." Business 2.0 writer Chris Taylor has plenty to say on how Sony lost their lead and has "lost this round of the console wars to its Japanese rival, Nintendo's Wii." While we think it's too early to be making those kind of calls, the article is interesting -- even if we don't agree with the analysis in whole (or even in large part). For our lazier readers, Business 2.0 provides these key lessons from Sony and Kutaragi's PS3 development:

Focus on making a better controller, not relying on the same "handheld mess of buttons" (i.e. Dualshock design = failure)
Don't put drives in your console that are too slow to properly load games (I'm not making these up)
Build a console that only costs $150 like the Wii (they have since corrected this little doozy of a detail).

mess of buttons?
i think games load up quite fast
the Wii isnt worth the money

Balthasar00
April 28th, 2007, 18:24
That bull s#@t..

dualshock design isin't perfect. I don't get why 2 stick anyway. Still, its far from a failure.

Don't put drives in your console that are too slow to properly load games

That a retard argument.
A game loading from hdd run slower than a game running from a disc ? LOL sure... We all know that a console with HDD included is *way* better than ones not supporting such device. Look at the fat PS2 (HDD + exploit + HDD loader), look at the Xbox with soft or chip moded.. Add XBMC and homebrew = you get a cool and cheap multimedia system.

Having a hdd gives a lot more options for us. Can you imagine your PSP with out any mem card storage slot? :X Wii dosen't support HDD... That is sad.

Build a console that only costs $150 like the Wii

Certandly the worst argument ever.

PS3 huge hits aren't out yet. That kind of analyse worth nothing.. Smell very ''anal'' too.

mavsman4457
April 28th, 2007, 21:03
The PS3 price will be coming down very soon. That is an estimate but I know that production costs are dropping quickly so if they don't lower the price then they will start making more and more money on each console sold.

slappy1
April 28th, 2007, 21:39
The PS3 price will be coming down very soon. That is an estimate but I know that production costs are dropping quickly so if they don't lower the price then they will start making more and more money on each console sold.

That is almost laughable. Sony make money on PS3 console sales, hahahaha. More like make money on blue-ray disc sales, and lose money on console sales.

But seriously, if you consider yourself a true sony fanboy, you had better pray that consumers will not buy the soon to be $200 stand alone HD-DVD player over the the $600 PS3 blue-ray player.

thats your cue, sony fanboys....attack.:rofl:

Accordion
April 28th, 2007, 22:39
That is almost laughable. Sony make money on PS3 console sales, hahahaha. More like make money on blue-ray disc sales, and lose money on console sales.

But seriously, if you consider yourself a true sony fanboy, you had better pray that consumers will not buy the soon to be $200 stand alone HD-DVD player over the the $600 PS3 blue-ray player.

thats your cue, sony fanboys....attack.:rofl:

this town is funny!

$200 movie player is equal to $600 games console!

i agree!

eatnooM
April 28th, 2007, 22:52
Please do not feed the trolls. First you let them eat a few breadcrumbs outta your hand, next thing you know they're eating babies.

Shadowblind
April 28th, 2007, 23:12
I absolutely hated the controller. No rumble pack, horrible feel....*Shudders*...

I don't know about load time except resistance took a while.

Really, only the absolute fanboys care about a format that will be overriden. Take the Blu-Ray drive out, make it seperate. That should lower the price near $250.

PLZKLLME0080
April 28th, 2007, 23:38
when i heard about sony taking the rumble feature out of their controller, i said "thats the most retarded thing they could of done. wow." i dont have a PS3 but i know theres a ton of things that could of been better about it.

Balthasar00
April 29th, 2007, 00:07
when i heard about sony taking the rumble feature out of their controller, i said "thats the most retarded thing they could of done. wow."

Its not like if they had a choice..

''In 2002, Sony and Microsoft were sued by force-feedback company Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their controllers. Specifically, they were accused of infringing on claims in U.S. Patent 6,424,333 and U.S. Patent 6,275,213 (filed 2000 and 2001 as extensions of U.S. Patent 6,088,017 , itself filed 1998, all "Tactile feedback man-machine interface device"). While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in the company, Sony continued to defend the case. Their defense centered on a force feedback controller patent which Sony licensed from Logitech during 1998. Sony lost and was required to pay considerable retroactive royalties (approximately $91 million) to Immersion, for the seven years that the DualShock controller had been on the market, and suspend the sale of the controllers in the United States (including all PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console packages containing them).'' wiki

They should have followed M$ on that case.

Personaly, don't really bother.

Shadowblind
April 29th, 2007, 00:57
Really... why didn't they take the easy but slightly more expensive way out and buy a share?

Instead they thought they can get outta this with more money and continue arguing.

Turned out pretty bad...

PSX sucked, PS2 rocked, PS3....no comment.

markymark1
April 29th, 2007, 09:51
Seeing as there have been no xbox fanboys cooment so far, i thought i would.
Yeah the ps3 could have done alot of things better, but so can the 360! its far from perfect and everyone knows it, so its not like they are up against perfect competition.
The wii well tbh i dont think its fair to include it in the same category as us(ps3 and 360) cos its just a completely different innovation, so to say it completely beats us is rediculous....thats like saying, we complete hammer the ps3 based on our graphical and computational power. so why u compare i dont know...maybe u should be comparing a wii to a simulator? (something like those golf games u play with a golf club)??

sony wont be bringing the prices down, so far the only thing that have come down in price, are the diodes. Tbh...not going to make a difference, and they have 2 options...they can either start making more profit so when it gets to the end of the full quarter they have a reasonably good financial report compared to the 360.
or
they could reduce the price, have not as good financial report but have sold more consoles..
which would u all prefer?

ricki_b
April 30th, 2007, 00:14
The PSX didnt suck!, thats where Sony stole the market from Nintendo, and then continued to dominate with PS2. But PS3, time will tell.....

Shadowblind
April 30th, 2007, 00:23
I don't know. There weren't too many good PSX games in my opinion...at least, there were better N64 games (by a longshot)

ricki_b
April 30th, 2007, 00:38
Come on, Metal Gear Solid, greatest game ever created (for the time like). Plus all the good games we play now originate from there, Knockout Kings (Fight Night), Pro Evolution Soccer, Resident Evil, GTA, Medal Of Honour, TOCA.... The list goes on.

Accordion
April 30th, 2007, 09:16
it is undeniable that the original playstation changed the definition of gaming, and they made it what it is today.

nothing sony does will take that away, and im very sure when i say nintendo would not be aiming at the mass audience at this time, if it were not for the playstation.

Agret
May 1st, 2007, 03:27
PSX sucked, PS2 rocked, PS3....no comment.
PSX Sucked? No wai, I played mines tons. Sure the N64 had Zelda OOT, Mario64, Smash Bros. & Goldeneye but there wasn't really a lot of games on the N64 and less that were worth playing. The PSX had a huge library and a lot of great games.. MGS, FF7, GTA, Oddworld, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat & Metal Slug to name a few. I haven't really used my PS2 much since the disc drive likes to screwup in it, wish Sony didn't cheap out on the disc drives. Speaking of disc drives I wish Sony didn't go the stupidly expensive route of Blu-Ray on the PS3, nobody cares about Blu-Ray.