PDA

View Full Version : Sony is the most powerful brand says study

wraggster
April 28th, 2007, 20:21
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/28/sony-is-the-most-powerful-brand-says-study/)

So, Sony's been having a rough couple days ... eh, disregard that. Sony's been having a rough week. Fine, fine -- month. But there's a silver lining -- none of this has hurt Sony's brand power. AlixPartners, a global corporate-advisory firm, says after surveying more than 5,000 consumers that Sony is #1 in their minds.

The company's press release states, "The AlixPartners Brand Power Index draws a clear distinction between mere popularity, which a brand can achieve temporarily through discounting, etc., and true brand power, which the index measures on a consumer trust-versus-distrust formula." Sony came in first place followed by Johnson & Johnson and Kraft. Dell and Hewlett-Packard were the only other consumer electronics in the top ten and they were way at the bottom. No word on Microsoft or Nintendo brand power.

There's no arguing Sony's brand power and it's a good sign that in 5,000 consumer's minds it's the tops. Thing is with the PS3 nobody had issue with the brand power, just look at the sales of the PlayStation 2 -- that thing is still a money making monster. Not to mention at $130 the PS2 is worth every penny for a family. A DVD player and an amazing game console in one small neat little package. Sony's problem with the PS3 isn't brand, it's price. Forget us as gamers and techno-babble Blu-ray freaks who will fanboy flame-out and just spend money. Sony execs should talk to the single mother waiting at the bus stop in the morning, go to a neighborhood barbershop, find a sixth-grade elementary school teacher to talk to. Nobody will ever deny Sony's brand power, but people are stuck at $600 as a jumping-off point for a game console.

mastersho
April 28th, 2007, 20:27
By any chance did these 5000 people happen to work for Sony cuz right now sony Sux!

Basil Zero
April 28th, 2007, 20:28
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/28/sony-is-the-most-powerful-brand-says-study/)

So, Sony's been having a rough couple days ... eh, disregard that. Sony's been having a rough week. Fine, fine -- month. But there's a silver lining -- none of this has hurt Sony's brand power. AlixPartners, a global corporate-advisory firm, says after surveying more than 5,000 consumers that Sony is #1 in their minds.

The company's press release states, "The AlixPartners Brand Power Index draws a clear distinction between mere popularity, which a brand can achieve temporarily through discounting, etc., and true brand power, which the index measures on a consumer trust-versus-distrust formula." Sony came in first place followed by Johnson & Johnson and Kraft. Dell and Hewlett-Packard were the only other consumer electronics in the top ten and they were way at the bottom. No word on Microsoft or Nintendo brand power.

There's no arguing Sony's brand power and it's a good sign that in 5,000 consumer's minds it's the tops. Thing is with the PS3 nobody had issue with the brand power, just look at the sales of the PlayStation 2 -- that thing is still a money making monster. Not to mention at $130 the PS2 is worth every penny for a family. A DVD player and an amazing game console in one small neat little package. Sony's problem with the PS3 isn't brand, it's price. Forget us as gamers and techno-babble Blu-ray freaks who will fanboy flame-out and just spend money. Sony execs should talk to the single mother waiting at the bus stop in the morning, go to a neighborhood barbershop, find a sixth-grade elementary school teacher to talk to. Nobody will ever deny Sony's brand power, but people are stuck at $600 as a jumping-off point for a game console.

That is true, the only reason why people are hating sony is because of the price of their systems.

Not the actual content, and the actual content is decent if not the best.

By any chance did these 5000 people happen to work for Sony cuz right now sony Sux!
By any chance, can you please explain why it is so?

mastersho
April 28th, 2007, 20:39
Nope! I just hate sony because of their price and the issue with the fireware updates on the PSP.

Accordion
April 28th, 2007, 20:51
Nope! I just hate sony because of their price and the issue with the fireware updates on the PSP.

why?
because sony should lose even more money, and they, like everyone else find piracy a huge threat[with good reason

mastersho
April 28th, 2007, 20:52
why?
because sony should lose even more money, and they, like everyone else find piracy a huge threat[with good reason

That AND they shut down Lik-sang.

Baboon
April 28th, 2007, 21:08
I miss Lik Sang too ...boo hoo sniff. :(

I cant diss $ony though, Im totaly addicted to the psp... Syphon Filter Dark Mirror online rocks! :)

Abgoj
April 28th, 2007, 22:04
There is no denying that sony is great, even now. The PS3 has so much potential, but right now it's just not being realised. The price also needs to come way down. Twice as many
PS3's that have been sold now would have probably been sold if it wasn't for the price.

burrito
April 28th, 2007, 22:04
Sony has high-quality electronics.
I don't like that they made the PS3 so expensive, and that they sued Lik-Sang for a stupid reason.

Joe88
April 28th, 2007, 22:07
That AND they shut down Lik-sang.

after they phailed to acknowledge the cease and disiste ordered by sony to stop selling PSP's (that had 1.50) , they just ignored it and continued selling them without any regard to their warning

sony then decided to sue them, lik-sang went bankrupt from the court fees alone

Shadowblind
April 28th, 2007, 22:22
Really, I hated the PS3. Content and all.

Sony is indeed the most powerful. However, with power comes great responsibility....

ficksucker
April 29th, 2007, 00:37
after they phailed to acknowledge the cease and disiste ordered by sony to stop selling PSP's (that had 1.50) , they just ignored it and continued selling them without any regard to their warning

sony then decided to sue them, lik-sang went bankrupt from the court fees alone

Yeah well Lik-Sang was gambling on being able to prove that the cease and dessist order was BS because it wasn't a copyright issue... unfortunateley for them they gambled and lost.

Do you know that about 15 years ago, people were worried that people weren't going to buy things by brand anymore? In fact at a worldwide marketers' convention they were terrified that the prices of products would be determined by real value rather than by "conceptual" value added which basically is a nice way of saying the extra money you can charge that has nothing to do with costs of production but simply because of your brand name.

We've taken a few steps backwards since then. I have nothing against brands but if I had the choice of Nike spending 35 million instead of 70 million on advertising to "inform me" of thier product and I got that money back in cheaper shoes instead, I would definateley perfer that. And yes I do own Nikes.

mastersho
April 29th, 2007, 01:33
Still they weren't a major threat were they!?

Shadowblind
April 29th, 2007, 01:44
No. No they weren't. They have much bigger problems to worry about then they're customers ACTUALLY getting what they want. Which is apparently a bad thing.

Basil Zero
April 29th, 2007, 06:38
Really, I hated the PS3. Content and all.

Sony is indeed the most powerful. However, with power comes great responsibility....

HAHAHAHAA

Nice quote at this time since spiderman 3 is coming out:thumbup:

Buddy4point0
April 29th, 2007, 13:26
sike!
sony sucks
def homebrew is a more powerful "brand" than sony.
they keep trying to keep us away, and gess what...
the keep failing

Triv1um
April 29th, 2007, 13:41
People are going on about sony firmwares.

If you was a company, and you have spent good money and alot of time on a game, and people are getting the games for free, you wouldnt do anything about it?

To be honest, i think sony havent done anything wrong.

For all the people going
'ZOMG!!11!! PS3 IS SO XPENSIVE'

Looks at it this way, lets look at the rival the XBOX360.

XBOX360 premium pack - £259.99

+

HDDVD drive (sony has nextgen movie format, so this should - £130

+

Wifi adapter (ps3 has wifi) - £54

=

---

PS3 has all this, and it has a bigger HDD and thats 425?

Not that badly priced when you think of it like that is it? ;)

EDIT -
I forgot, you have to pay for xbox live too, online play is free with playstation ;)

mastersho
April 29th, 2007, 16:45
mmmhh..... Triv1um you make me think. I must go to my Mountain of Solitude to think about how I feel about $ony.......

emuking
April 29th, 2007, 20:31
you all defend sony so much it makes me sad, why do you all deny that the marketing and choices made with the ps3 have been terrible, why do you think people like ken kutaragi and others are backing down from sony, or why the ps3 doesnt even sell well, all of you please face the fact that the ps3 is a failure, hopefully it can still be saved

but the ps3 has sh1t online compared to xbox live which is worth the money and is an actual service, ps3 gets its ass kicked by 360 when it comes to online

SnesR0X
April 29th, 2007, 21:05
HDDVD drive (sony has nextgen movie format, so this should - £130

+

Wifi adapter (ps3 has wifi) - £54

=

---

PS3 has all this, and it has a bigger HDD and thats 425?

Not that badly priced when you think of it like that is it? ;)

EDIT -
I forgot, you have to pay for xbox live too, online play is free with playstation ;)

but you don't need the hd dvd player, or the wifi, if you don't need them, then it really is a big price difference

Joe88
April 29th, 2007, 23:33
you all defend sony so much it makes me sad, why do you all deny that the marketing and choices made with the ps3 have been terrible, why do you think people like ken kutaragi and others are backing down from sony, or why the ps3 doesnt even sell well, all of you please face the fact that the ps3 is a failure, hopefully it can still be saved

but the ps3 has sh1t online compared to xbox live which is worth the money and is an actual service, ps3 gets its ass kicked by 360 when it comes to online

because there no good games yet !!!
once MGS4 and quit a few others come out that will all change

Shadowblind
April 30th, 2007, 00:14
HAHAHAHAA

Nice quote at this time since spiderman 3 is coming out:thumbup:

Hoped someone would catch that :D