PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus Blog Update (April 29) - N64 Emulator for PSP

burrito
April 30th, 2007, 01:35
via http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

R11 almost ready

Following on from last week's work, I've been busy fixing a few more issues relating to the way Daedalus handles textures.

To start with, I refactored the way that n64-format textures are converted to psp-format textures. Previously, I was converting the textures at the point at which they were loaded into texture memory on the n64. A result of this was that in order to support mirroring, I needed to keep a copy of the converted pixels in RAM. By moving the conversion process closer to the point that the textures are actually used on the psp, I've been able to remove this buffer and perform conversion and mirroring in the same step. This has approximately halved the memory needed for each texture, and is slightly faster than the previous approach.

The most significant change I've made is to fix a memory leak in the texture cache. I mentioned last week that I'd discovered that the texture cache was the biggest culprit for soaking up memory. It turned out that despite my fixes and support for 4-bit and 8-bit palettised textures, I was still running out of memory in certain situations. I did a bit more investigating, and discovered a resource leak that had been in the texture cache since it was first written (probably 7 or 8 years ago now!)

It turned out that in certain situations, several textures would hash to the same bucket in the hash table that I was using. This wasn't normally a problem, but occasionally the process which purges old textures from the cache was accidentally leaking textures. This was wasting video memory and causing the leaked textures to be re-converted on next frame.

The fix ended up being a very simple one-line change, and as a result the texture cache is now 100% leak-free. As an added bonus, it seems that the change has resulted in a nice 4-5% speedup - I suspect this is because the leaked textures are now no-longer being unnecessarily reconverted.

The final bit of work I've been doing is setting up a fixed-size pool for allocating textures from (well, there are actually two pools - one for fast VRAM and another of standard RAM for when this runs out). Despite the various improvements and fixes I've made to reduce the amount of memory being consumed by the texture cache, I wanted to put a hard limit on how much memory can ever be used. This change means that if the limit is ever reached, I just display white textures until some texture memory is freed up a little later. Previously Daedalus would just keep allocating RAM until it ran out of memory and crashed, so the new solution is much nicer :)

All in all I'm very happy with the state of R11. The changes I've made mean that I can permanently allocate 8MB for the Expansion Pak, and not worry about running out of memory. A welcome side-effect to all the texture changes I've made is an approximate 5-10% speedup over R11. On top of this Daedalus now remembers your preferences for each rom, so it's a little nicer to use.

I've still got a few small things to polish, but I'm hoping to release R11 by the weekend.

-StrmnNrmn

Can't wait :)

DarthPaul
April 30th, 2007, 01:58
Omg the weekend!! That's it!!

slaanesh
April 30th, 2007, 02:00
Certainly one of the most interesting homebrew emulators on the PSP. Always interesting to read your blog StrmnNrmn.

The King
April 30th, 2007, 02:07
cool cant wait to play conker, killer instinct, and zelda to top it of

Buddy4point0
April 30th, 2007, 02:09
this weekend!!
im sooo happy!
i love u!

ryan2006
April 30th, 2007, 02:09
great work as always

Basil Zero
April 30th, 2007, 02:17
this weekend?

as in next weekend?

cause its sunday to me now lol

next weekend would mean 1st week of May

regardless..........WOOT!!!

Cant WAIT!!!!

sroon
April 30th, 2007, 02:22
this weekend?

as in next weekend?

cause its sunday to me now lol

next weekend would mean 1st week of april

regardless..........WOOT!!!

Cant WAIT!!!!

ok first of all its April now you turd wipe:P
im just wondering if the expansion pack will work?
i hope it does:)
(O ) ( O);)

IM back!
April 30th, 2007, 02:38
yes much needed speed!

Nikolaos
April 30th, 2007, 03:01
Wow great work dude, R10 is just amazing. other ppl should get involved in this project too

pkmaximum
April 30th, 2007, 03:08
Well its great were getting a release by this weekend, so I guess that means we just have 1 more week to wait. As far as I know though this release is supposed to be a compatibility release, so I'm hoping games like Golden Eye, and Super Smash 64 will run efficiently now. But I guess its interesting to see how that will turn out.

I look forward to what he has in mind for a R12 release as he said that is when he would dedicate to start working on just speed again, cause that is what I think is the most signifigant thing to be working on for this emulator at this point. As even if you have a lot of games that run, it would suck if they run slowly. But a short list that runs at good enjoyable speeds of frames 25+ w/sound is better. So i would like to see speed, then compatibility in this emulator, but no matter what Strmmmn is doing a great job and I look forward to his upcoming releases.

Shadowblind
April 30th, 2007, 03:12
Then...this means...there are no...TEXTURE GLITCHES?! W00T!!!!!

Basil Zero
April 30th, 2007, 03:17
ok first of all its April now you turd wipe:P
im just wondering if the expansion pack will work?
i hope it does:)
(O ) ( O);)

Hope you get your psp bricked you drugged basement dweller:thumbup::rofl:

emuking
April 30th, 2007, 03:24
i love hearing news about this emu its my favorite

Basil Zero
April 30th, 2007, 03:30
I cant wait either, wonder how SM64 plays LOL

felonyr301
April 30th, 2007, 04:15
And this suppose to be a compatibility release lol wow love the emulator now hoping he would do something major for sound in r12 which would get better quality and resulting for increased speed while having sound on!!! Still can't wait to play both zelda games on my psp with playable speeds with good sound.

PrettyStupidPerson
April 30th, 2007, 04:21
wen this emulater is finished where do u get it

Veskgar
April 30th, 2007, 04:30
These blog updates always get me super excited. I am always impressed with how significant these frequent updates are.

I am with pkmaximum in wanting SPEED over all else at the moment. If we could have just one of the N64's killer apps such as Zelda or Mario work perfect or near perfect, it would be one of those unforgettable milestones in PSP homebrew history.

This emulator is already an impressive feat. With the consensus being that N64 emulation should be entirely possible on the PSP, it makes developments regarding this project that much more exciting.

I look forward to the next release. Awesome work!!!

DarthPaul
April 30th, 2007, 04:33
wen this emulater is finished where do u get it

Where else? Here of course! DCEmu is my life! Lol.. there are another sources to get this,but of course DC -Emu is the best. Or you can go straight to his blog.

mavsman4457
April 30th, 2007, 05:43
Daedalus slowly but surely becoming a fullspeed N64 emulator. Can't wait.

V3N0M
April 30th, 2007, 06:10
Hey, If Super Smash Bros. works in the next release then that’s a big enough update for me! Keep up the outstanding work! :thumbup:

Abgoj
April 30th, 2007, 10:27
Great news, looking forward to R11 release :)

ayhoung
April 30th, 2007, 15:16
yay great work man

Sonicboy 101
April 30th, 2007, 15:21
Great work, I can't wait!

GrizzlY_lbc
April 30th, 2007, 17:36
sweet! sounds good can't wait.

jurkevicz
April 30th, 2007, 18:06
I wonder if he'll release it today (Monday). I can't wait! Great work btw.!

Basil Zero
April 30th, 2007, 18:29
If he does release it today, i'll be HAPPY!!!

CaptainMorgan4
April 30th, 2007, 19:56
He said he'll get it out by the weekend, so why would you say it comes out today? Some of you are just idiots, if he was going to release it today he would have said it's ready and I'll release it tomorrow. This emulator is my favorite for PSP but people be patient, get a life and do something better with your time. I'm just confused that R11 is a compatability release and StrmnNrmn hasn't mentioned anything about getting more games working on R11? None the less I'm looking forward to Daedalus R11, thanks StrmnNrmn!

mfz64
April 30th, 2007, 21:24
awesome! can't wait to try this out!

Solidsnake3000
May 1st, 2007, 04:42
well i nknow this is good and all but i think by the end of the year or close to it this dang thing will run at full speed

kharaboudjan
May 1st, 2007, 10:47
im looking forward to test R11. 10-15 % speed up could perhaps make MK 64 run at fullspeed with FS 2 :D

cant wait until he get the ME to work, think about what speedincrease we could get then :)

aries2k4
May 1st, 2007, 13:51
Always glad to hear of improvements to this emu. Looking forward to trying the next release.

Hyper-Beaner
May 1st, 2007, 22:36
Does this mean Jet Force Gemini will work on it now?

I_hate_firmware
May 3rd, 2007, 00:23
Noice!!!

noiby
May 5th, 2007, 20:10
OMG i cant wait! this is gonna be the best emulator! i really want to play conker and zelda! :)

CaptainMorgan4
May 5th, 2007, 21:51
Should have an update from StrmnNrmn anytime now, I hope we have R11 by the NASCAR race in Richmond tonight, go Jeff Gordon!

burrito
May 6th, 2007, 01:55
R11 will be released on Sunday :) :
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62178

Buddy4point0
May 6th, 2007, 05:17
R11 will be released on Sunday :) :
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62178

that was def stated on the first post
edit: sry i thought i was on the new blog update