PDA

View Full Version : The Moon Books Project now offers films!

bobslack
April 30th, 2007, 16:09
The Moon Books Project now offers films for download, to view on the Nintendo DS.

http://moonbooks.net/moonbooks/

JohnnyP
April 30th, 2007, 16:52
Anyone from the site: You need to add a clear statement that this is legal.

residentskitz
April 30th, 2007, 19:21
Are you seriously selling ripped DVDs and books for profit? :mad: :rofl:

Also, if youre selling them, why is there a donate button too? :thumbup:

Classy stuff!

http://moonbooks.net/moonbooks/e107_plugins/easyshop/easyshop.php

"Where as some content such as the books are all, always online to be downloaded, the films portion of The Moon Books Project is only available as space and bandwidth is available. So, if you don't wish to wait for your downloads to complete, or for your favorite film to be available to be downloaded, they are all available to purchase, cheap."

you can download it all for free, OR they can mail you a DVD. the same way that you can download Ubuntu for free OR they can mail it to you.

all this stuff is public domain. i think that means you can do whatever you want with it, INCLUDING sell it, but i sincerely doubt the're making any profit.

these guys are doing more to spread knowledge & media than your cynical ass, so read the fine print the next time you feel like being a dick.

JohnnyP
April 30th, 2007, 21:25
residentskitz - yeah IM the one being the dick. :rofl:

The titles listed do not look old enough to be public domain. **

Also i hate to say it but if theyre not pulling a profit at those prices theyre buying their DVDs from the wrong store, and hosting their servers with the wrong people.

The model may be understandable in a larger market, but there is no way that they have enough traffic to be losing much money on hosting.

So yeah, stop being so uptight and have a conversation instead of being a dick next time.

** I just looked and it seems some of the stuff is not copyrighted in the USA because of loopholes. I still wouldnt recommend selling it though.

I understand that this is legal in the USA ( not sure about anywhere else) but its still not exactly respectable to sell stuff and ask for donations at the same time.

Also i would add links to other sources and .dpg converters to give people choice.

P.S. residentskitz - Anyone selling open source software is a jerk in my eyes, no matter if its legal or not. (of course i dont mean the devs selling hard copies)

residentskitz
April 30th, 2007, 23:52
15$ does seem a little steep for a dvd.

and yeah, it would be nice if they had a guide or more info detailing how they did all this and that it is fairly easy for anybody to do, but they do have a few relevant links. i bet they just downloaded everything from archive.org

perhaps my initial defense was slightly too robust, but really it seems to me like these guys intentions are good.

i know what you mean about anybody selling open source software. ive got into a couple flamewars with ebay sellers selling open source stuff, and dvd's downloaded from archive.org marked up ridiculously high.

bobslack
May 1st, 2007, 05:07
Actually, zero profit. :)

I've spent too much time messing with all of the paypal, and online shop stuff and it's been taking me away from why I started the moon books project in the first place. I've decided to drop all the commercial stuff and focus on the important portions of the website and the project. however, I'll still burn dvd sets cheap if anyone wants them, i just don't want to be trying to 'push' them all the time.

bobslack
May 1st, 2007, 14:04
Nosferatu is now available. Enjoy

JohnnyP
May 1st, 2007, 16:12
bobslack - sounds like a plan. I think the DVD idea is good, but it should be non profit. ie the cost of the DVD and postage + a dollar for your time.

Also, think about adding adverts to the site to cover bandwidth. I dont think people mind if youre providing a nice service.