PDA

View Full Version : World of Sand: 0.1

wraggster
April 30th, 2007, 22:13
News/release from nornagon: (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13102&sid=69143742bbc38a0b4e7ce45b8d7f6358)

It's been a while, but I've been quietly hacking away at World of Sand for the past few months in my (abundant...) spare time. Anyhow, it doesn't really feel very beta any more, so 0.1 it is!

For those of you who like to download stuff and check it out before reading the changelogs (it's just like Christmas!), the download.

I didn't really keep a sane changelog, since version control only came in halfway through my hackage, so I'll try to come up with a sort of vaguely complete list off the top of my head.

Speed. Speed, speed, speed -- WoS now utilises both the arm7 and the arm9 in its schemings^Wcalculations, so the peak fps is somewhere around 21fps instead of 10.

New materials: Spout, Snow, Liquid fire, Concrete, Acid and Antimatter, plus several new reactions (those you'll have to discover for yourself :))

You can now draw lines of varying thickness.

You can toggle the flows on and off.

I guess that's about all the interesting stuff. I should really get around to posting the source code somewhere. It's horribly, disgustingly ugly, but there's some sneaky stuff done with FIFO and shared iwram that could very well be useful to someone.

Enjoy!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Thanatos 2.0
April 30th, 2007, 22:28
ahh sweet love the online games of this on DS it should kick ass

downloading as i type.

Izzy84075
April 30th, 2007, 23:17
Awesome! This one's MUCH better than the other DS Sand game. Now it just needs explosions. :thumbup:

kcajblue
May 1st, 2007, 00:41
cool. it got updated.
keep up the good work! :D

saicrazyfire
May 1st, 2007, 02:11
omg this game works perfectly on the supercard lite rumble. many thanks nornagon

MagnumKain
May 1st, 2007, 02:19
Good work! This is a fun way to waste time.

acevampire
May 1st, 2007, 02:53
awsome. I remember last version, it was awsome :thumbup:

::Xraxa, plz:.
July 14th, 2007, 06:55
Works just like the PC version. Great adaptation, how will you update it?

ASmithies
July 22nd, 2007, 03:13
dude this is ace... im gonna have a new love! the girlfriend can get lost =P

unless i show her this in which case i wont get my ds back for hours!

just as a matter of interest. what do all the icons do and id love to know how to stop the flow. am i just being stupid xD

ASmithies
July 22nd, 2007, 03:15
oh ok ssh me... hold L and tap the flows.. got it haha, but still whats all these icons? im just seeing what does what at the moment but id love to know what they meant

DanTheManMS
July 22nd, 2007, 03:43
From the top-left, left-to-right:
Erase, Wall, Sand, Snow,
Water, Plant, Salt, Spout,
Oil, Fire, Wax, ???,
Liquid Fire, Concrete, Acid, Antimatter.

Tripsk8er333
July 22nd, 2007, 03:44
All I can say is WOW!!! You are Awsome nornagon. This was one of my dreams to port this game, I used to play it on the internet all of the time.:p
When I played it I thought this should be on the Nintendo DS. It just made Perfect since to do it because of the DS's capabilities ( touch screen and Second screen). Thank you so much, this is SOOO Awsome you saved me so much time, because I was going to try catch up on some C and other programing and try to port this game to this game to the DS.

This is awsome thanks so much.:D

This is a Great Addition to the DS Homebrew Community and the System itsself.:thumbup:

Next I hope to see Line Rider 2:p

jockmo42
July 23rd, 2007, 01:12
Wow! This just made my DS that much cooler. This and Lemmings are my favorite homebrew now. Please keep going with this and add more elements, particularly sources of different things. Like the faucet that came in 0.1, but with sand, water, salt and the others.

Again, thanks a lot. This is the essence of awesome.:)

Shejken
July 23rd, 2007, 12:15
WOW thanks alot!

gordillo
August 5th, 2007, 03:44
like this is my first post and request i dont really care if you update homebrew but can you put zombies and the ball that goes crazy if you add water please would be a real big improvment

thanks

crazy criz
September 2nd, 2007, 12:15
this game is so funny playing with sand wow!

Tobem
September 10th, 2007, 13:12
Hi.
I tried the online version, what a great way to waste some time. :o)
Just d/l the DS version and will try it when my daughter gets home from school.
Great site BTW.

rlowe
September 11th, 2007, 03:12
The Game is Rad!!

atoc
October 8th, 2007, 21:43
I finally registered (after viewing other threads) just to say this is teh awesome.
I love wasting time w/ the web versions out there and when i saw this was available for the DS, I downloaded it immediately.
i hope you continue to develop it further (Zombies would rock, but I could live without the "slug" ;) )

xyzzyx
December 15th, 2007, 03:52
how do I get this and other games like it from my computer to my ds? I have downloaded it, and have it on a usb drive, what now?

DanTheManMS
December 19th, 2007, 23:09
How do you plan to plug the USB drive into your DS?

You need a homebrew device. Explaining each one would take way too long, so just research them. Examples include the R4, Supercard series, CycloDS Evolution, etc.

beetroot bertie
December 22nd, 2007, 12:03
First time I've tried this in any guise and it's pretty cool and quite absorbing. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but hold L and tapping the flows does nothing. I'm using an R4.

DanTheManMS
December 26th, 2007, 16:21
You have to tap at the very top of the screen.

beetroot bertie
December 28th, 2007, 16:43
Cheers Dan, worked a treat :D

billy12
February 4th, 2008, 02:22
nice i love this game

Cevius
March 16th, 2008, 03:50
This game is better than Jesus.

Two Jesuses.

A room full of Jesusii.

All hail sand physics! :thumbup:

goldfish96
April 1st, 2008, 15:19
I Love This Game, So Sandy -_-

Danief
April 2nd, 2008, 01:18
ahh this looks rad. im going to get my games n music TONIGHT!

does anybody have like a step by step guide on how to dldi patch it?

ImBurningStarIV
April 2nd, 2008, 03:05
Try this- It's a video tutorial for the GnM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhosyWbMoo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akhosyWbMoo

m_m
April 9th, 2009, 03:41
sounds awesome! thnx

i love that game and have been waiting for a new version

shano
May 8th, 2009, 04:46
I registered at the forums just to download this :)

Will see what it's like on DS now... was just wasting a ton of time with the online one :D

edit: Good job!

sender
August 30th, 2011, 23:45
i would like to download this, wish me luck 2007

PwnnsomE
May 30th, 2012, 02:14
Where's the download link?

Another World
August 8th, 2012, 02:46
here is a download link: http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/games/download-world-of-sand-10-f2491.html.
here is the devs homepage: http://nornagon.net/.
here is the source code, which i don't think is mirrored anywhere else: https://github.com/nornagon/World-of-Sand-DS

notice the "todo" list:
* fix image stuff
* fix particle count bug
* saving
* title screen
* portrait version
* hideable button tray?
* cleanup of top screen
* more materials (oxygen (invisible, rises, explodes), oil well, snower, sand bucket, sticky goo, glue)
* multiplayer
* material creation & sharing>

kind of sad it never got beyond a v0.1 release.

-another world