PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here. DS extreme question

changyai
May 1st, 2007, 04:02
I'm absolutely a DS lite homebrew virgin.

I've ordered a DS extreme 2Gb card (haven't got it yet) and wondering if it's the best and easiest option for me. Seems all the reviews are great....any opinions here?

I'd also like to know if there is any e-mail homebrew available for my DS lite?

I've got loads of questions....but thats a start!

Hope to make some friends here, thanks for having me....and I look forward to any comments.

Wax.

DanTheManMS
May 1st, 2007, 05:19
It's fairly easy to use, yes, but I would have recommended other carts before it. The DS-X is rather expensive for what it does, and it only gives you a set amount of space. A device like the R4 or Supercard DS will let you use microSD cards so you can cheaply expand your capacity.

Regardless, you should be fine with it anyway.

There is NDSmail, but I don't know if it's been recompiled with the latest homebrew Wifi library, and therefore it might not work on your DS Lite.

changyai
May 2nd, 2007, 03:31
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about a card with expandable memory.

I'm really new at this stuff....guess I'll mess with the DSxtreme card for awhile and see if it suits my needs.

One thing I was hoping to do was play movies. Is "Moonshell" the homebrew that will allow this?

Will the xtreme handle this well? Or should I be looking for something else?

DanTheManMS
May 2nd, 2007, 03:49
Yeah, Moonshell is what you're looking for. It comes with its own DPG encoder application, though you can also use BatchDPG to convert the files to a Moonshell-readable format.

I've read that the DS-X was limited to really low bitrates and framerates, but I believe this was fixed in the newer versions of Moonshell, so there shouldn't be a problem anymore. Just don't go crazy with the settings.