PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Super Mario Smash Kart - (2D Mario Kart 64 Clone for PSP)

Zion
May 1st, 2007, 17:40
DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Super_Mario_Smash_Kart_2D_Mario_Kart_for_PSP)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Super_Mario_Smash_Kart_2D_Mario_Kart_for_PSP

Screen-Shot

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/zion_02/screenshot-1.png

Hi there. :)

Its been a while since my last release :p

Ive really made my mind work and coded this Mario Kart 64 (Kinda) clone for the psp (its 2d though)

Its fully finished (yes zion has actually finished a game :eek:) and very Playable :)

Game Features Include

- 3 Levels

- Scrolling

- Main Menu

- 4 Computer controlled racers racing against you.

- Character Selection menu that includes : 5 Selectable Characters (Link, Luigi, Kirby, Donkey Kong & Mario).

- Power-Ups and Missles - Inlcuding Chomp, Shells, Bananas & Mushrooms.

- Random AI - No race will ever be the same.

- Pause Screen - Abillity to pause the game at any time.

- Nice Animation.

- Great Soundtrack & Sound Effects.

Readme & Controls (Full readme included in zip file)

Aim Of The Game

The aim of the game is to Avoid attacks getting you, get the powerups and win the race.

Controls

Menu : X = Advance to next screen

Game :

X = Accelerate - (HOLD) This acceleration is modest to say the least, your best best is combining it with power ups and the "L" key.

L = Speed Boost - (TAP) This will give you a slight speed boost, that when combined with the "X" key will make you go faster.

R = Block Attacks - (TAP) Tapping this key as your just about (literally) to be hit, will stop the attack from slowing you down.

R = Use Power Ups - (TAP) Tapping this key as your just about (literally) to revieve a power up (mushroom) , will give you a nice short speed boost.

Start = Pause the game - Press "X" to resume

Credits

Coding by : Zion

Graphics by : Paiku, Nintendo, Zion, SemiJuggalo & Bruno The Rhino.

Sound & Music by : Nintendo.

Beta Testers : Don, $n!per, Sroon, Vettacosx, Hardhat, Gizmo356 & Malkster.

Official Site of the Game : ZionMax.com (http://zionmax.com).

Download & Give Feedback Via Comments - Enjoy ;)

----Updated , Pause Screen Sound bug fixed, bug pointed out by Yaustar fixed, More sound effects added. If you downloaded it before this edit was made please download again :)

ExcruciationX
May 1st, 2007, 17:43
Looks awesome, bro.

zx-81
May 1st, 2007, 18:25
look nice ! download it right now :)

ICE
May 1st, 2007, 18:27
looks very nice.

yaustar
May 1st, 2007, 18:59
You have a small error on line 1270.

if Donkey_Kong_Timer == 7 and Race == true then
Donkey_Kong_Frame = Luigi_Frame + 1
end

You also load the kart images three times?

Edit: Bear in mind, I am at work so all I can really do is look at the source to see how it is played.

The King
May 1st, 2007, 19:03
nice man and if u need a beta tester i will be willing to help any one with anything

-Xandu-
May 1st, 2007, 19:10
Good game, nice work, Zion :).

DarthPaul
May 1st, 2007, 19:25
Woah Zion your games are the best. You're an excelent coder,gonna download this now. Hehe looks funny but awesome.

CaptainMorgan4
May 1st, 2007, 19:31
Looks cool I'll try it out in a little while.

TCLCloud
May 1st, 2007, 19:33
really short, graphics are okayish, sounds is all over the place (liked the lost hatch countdown!).

it would be nice to see this game expanded with more characters, proper weapon usage and better tracks

Airdevil
May 1st, 2007, 19:34
The game looks great zion!

Hows the whole lost brother situation? Because i thought you were stopping coding to focus on that.

Zion
May 1st, 2007, 19:47
The game looks great zion!

Hows the whole lost brother situation? Because i thought you were stopping coding to focus on that.

I am really busy with a networking course and lack the money to search as yet so its on hold for the time being :D

And I will always code ;)

Airdevil
May 1st, 2007, 20:04

I am really busy with a networking course and lack the money to search as yet so its on hold for the time being :D

And I will always code ;)

fair enough, i hope it all goes well for you.

and thank GOD your always going to code, the scene would lose a valuable person otherwise lol.

gunntims0103
May 1st, 2007, 20:18
Cool stuff Zion :)

Buddy4point0
May 1st, 2007, 20:21
very nice, downloading now.
looks cool

D0N
May 1st, 2007, 20:39
Nice work Zion! Thanks for letting me BETA test, it was fun! :D

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Napalm-Death
May 1st, 2007, 21:39
Looks great, can't wait to play it!

pspfan
May 2nd, 2007, 00:09
Nice. Will try this out.

Anyway, Zion, do you plan on releasing the source to Wandria like you previously mentioned? I'd just like to take a look at it. Thanks.

Zion
May 2nd, 2007, 00:57
Nice. Will try this out.

Anyway, Zion, do you plan on releasing the source to Wandria like you previously mentioned? I'd just like to take a look at it. Thanks.

No becuase its not dead and its still being worked on. Please can we keep the focus on this game for now? Thanks

hatebreeder
May 2nd, 2007, 01:13
But i thought you said wandria was dead?

Nice game, btw sorry for the off topic

Zion
May 2nd, 2007, 01:29
But i thought you said wandria was dead?

:confused:

No becuase its not dead and its still being worked on

ONTOPIC : Thanks for all the positive responses :) i hope you enjoy the game :D

Video_freak
May 2nd, 2007, 01:32
Oh I will. ;)

Thanks dood.

aries2k4
May 2nd, 2007, 02:03
Does look good Zion. I´m going to try it out.
Nice work!!!

John Doe 696
May 2nd, 2007, 02:44
Looks cool Zion,glad to see that you are still hard @ work.

Shadowblind
May 2nd, 2007, 04:26
Very nice!
http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/175452__borat_l_1.jpg

BrooksyX
May 2nd, 2007, 04:34
Nice release Zion. Keep up the great work!

zaiser
May 2nd, 2007, 06:57
Thank you

dark heart
May 2nd, 2007, 07:08
why would you make a 2-d clone of a 3d racing game?
sorry, but i really think people need to do their own thing, unless it surpasses the original :D

Baboon
May 2nd, 2007, 09:35
Judging by the attached screenshot this looks like a really good homebrew game (the character sprites look excellent). :thumbup:

I’ll download this after work and give it a blast. ...good work fella! :D

sorry, but i really think people need to do their own thing, unless it surpasses the original :D

I would say this looks like a PSP 2D homage to mariokart (not everything has to be in 3D lol). :) ...and besides don’t diss this game (unless you think you can do better?), in their own time these people have created something for us all to enjoy for free!

HomerSp
May 2nd, 2007, 11:00

It's alot better than what most official games though, just direct ports with maybe a few extras...
Atleast Zion had to do almost everything himself.

Anyways, looks like a good game. I'll have to try it sometime :thumbup:

quzar
May 2nd, 2007, 11:25
Sound & Music by : Nintendo.

:confused: I thought you had learned not to steal.

Don't act like you didn't say wandria was cancelled. If you want to say it is no longer cancelled, then that's fine, absolutely no problem, but claiming you never said it is continuing your nice long streak of lying:

sorry to everyone who was looking forward to the game (you can try the alpha at least)

i cant keep up the way i am financially and am having to forget coding to get a full time job again.

is me admitting im not a talented enough coder a good enough excuse? or do you want me to embarress myself further?

+ i think finding out you have a brother after all these years is a little more important that coding a game for the psp

im quitting cus im not talented enough. want me to put a huge sign in my sig or something. give me a break ****ing hell

It looks nice at all, but c'mon man.

Zion
May 2nd, 2007, 12:08
:confused: I thought you had learned not to steal.

Don't act like you didn't say wandria was cancelled. If you want to say it is no longer cancelled, then that's fine, absolutely no problem, but claiming you never said it is continuing your nice long streak of lying:

It looks nice at all, but c'mon man.

Yet again your going off topic to bring up things that i have done wrong in the past and you have chosen to bring them up here, totaly offtopic to try and ruin what is a nice thread.

Maybe learn to use the "Private Messaging" feature next time?

Thanks a lot. i just hope users ignore that post as i intend to do

ONTOPIC :
thanks to everyone who posted on-topic (which is about the racing game and NOT wandria) and liked the game :D

XioN980
May 2nd, 2007, 12:33
quzar: You make some very valid points but perhaps PM zion next time, its never nice to have a release thread spoiled by bringing up the past and starting a controversy. I know it, you know it and zion knows it, keep it on topic ok govena'

mesosade
May 2nd, 2007, 12:42
hehe nice job zion :D

quzar
May 2nd, 2007, 12:43
Yet again your going off topic to bring up things that i have done wrong in the past and you have chosen to bring them up here, totaly offtopic to try and ruin what is a nice thread.

Maybe learn to use the "Private Messaging" feature next time?

Thanks a lot. i just hope users ignore that post as i intend to do

ONTOPIC :
thanks to everyone who posted on-topic (which is about the racing game and NOT wandria) and liked the game :D

I'm not the one who brought it off topic. You were quite pleased to repeat the "fact" again and again that you never said wandria was cancelled. That is bold faced lie.

The last PM convo I remember having with you started with you sending me a message that was more profanity and threat than substance. I woul much rather hold any discussion in public to make sure that you keep civil, if not honest.

Panini
May 2nd, 2007, 12:50
Ladies put ur handbags down!

Lets just all just play nicely and enjoy this new homebrew creation. :)

Zion
May 2nd, 2007, 13:41
I'm not the one who brought it off topic. You were quite pleased to repeat the "fact" again and again that you never said wandria was cancelled. That is bold faced lie.

The last PM convo I remember having with you started with you sending me a message that was more profanity and threat than substance. I woul much rather hold any discussion in public to make sure that you keep civil, if not honest.

Right I admit it was cancelled and now it isnt. there happy ? your right i fully agree, whatever.

now can we please stop discussing wandria and talk about this game. thank you

tallica
May 2nd, 2007, 15:23
Good job zion!

titch.ryan
May 2nd, 2007, 18:39
great release glad youve finished a game lol

xg917
May 2nd, 2007, 19:01
lol, great game dude! ^_^
and this jsut crossed my mind... 2D super mario 64.. lol..

Gizmo356
May 2nd, 2007, 23:44
Isn't it a DCEmu rule to keep threads especially news threads on topic? and doesn't you dragging this off topic kind of contradict with the rules of the site?

Zion
May 2nd, 2007, 23:47
Im planning on recoding it in c and adding new features such as a difficulty level, even better AI, and more levels.

The only reason it was coded in lua was for ease and fastness of testing

Please post here or pm me with ideas for the next version

I_hate_firmware
May 3rd, 2007, 00:18
that looks really sick.

BlueCrab
May 3rd, 2007, 00:36
To all who have been flaming each other in the topic. STOP.

That is all.

JKKDARK
May 3rd, 2007, 00:51
To all who have been flaming each other in the topic. STOP.

That is all.

I don't see people "flaming" on the thread. Or did you delete these posts?

quzar
May 3rd, 2007, 00:58
I don't see people "flaming" on the thread. Or did you delete these posts?

Yea, there were one or two that were clipped out.

Broadus
May 3rd, 2007, 01:27
Neato!

pspfan
May 3rd, 2007, 01:36
Please post here or pm me with ideas for the next version
My suggestions basically fall under the category t make it more like the 2D Mario Kart Super Circuit game for GBA or the 2D Super Mario Kart for SNES.

It'd be cool to move around on the track and have turns, instead of being in a line (this could be another "mode" of play). Also all the different weapons could be usable.

I think those features would make it more fun. Anyway good job.

wraggster
May 3rd, 2007, 02:54
Please do not change the original newspost so it messes up the PSP News front page.

Also to those flaming, i havent read any of it and dont want to but anymore and action wil be taken by me to those involved regardless of who they are.

Time for all to keep totally on topic or keep out of threads that dont concern them.

titch.ryan
May 3rd, 2007, 17:42
bit disappointed with this game but it could be improved by adding movement around the track, more powerups and better tracks.

anyway hope you continue developing this.

Sp3ct0r
May 4th, 2007, 00:26
Oooh..cool, gonna try it.

parkermauney
May 6th, 2007, 04:47
Could use work, but who am I to talk! :P It would be awesome if you added Directional movement!

stotheamuel
May 6th, 2007, 17:09
It's pretty fun. :)

aznTerz
May 17th, 2007, 09:34
is it that good?
i might try it...

Kevaughn
December 8th, 2007, 05:26
How exactly do i upload this to my psp cause I did and it stated currupted data.

JKKDARK
December 8th, 2007, 13:07
what firmware do you have?

Necro Star
December 8th, 2007, 15:10
very cool, keep it up

seanotoole23
December 30th, 2007, 22:56
help i need a site were i can downlode psp games for free please help

JKKDARK
December 30th, 2007, 23:03
help i need a site were i can downlode psp games for free please help

Check the lists here (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/) for homebrew PSP games.

seanotoole23
December 30th, 2007, 23:37
thanks but were do i go on that site

JKKDARK
December 30th, 2007, 23:50
In the left, there are a list with the name "PSP Homebrew Games"

seanotoole23
December 31st, 2007, 00:28
ok but how do i get them to work