PDA

View Full Version : how to create homebrew

g00gy
May 1st, 2007, 18:59
I want to learn how to create homebrew. do i have to have an extreme amount of knowledge in c++?

Are there any tutorials on how to get started coding homebrew games for the psp?

I have alot of experiance with computers and programs but what does it take to be a coder. one is patience but what other expetise are needed?

HAMMIEZ
May 1st, 2007, 19:40
google "luaplayer" - it is the best way for new psp coders to learn. Also you could download a psp game maker...

gunntims0103
May 1st, 2007, 20:09
You shouldn't attempt to learn LUA first because in most cases iv seen it tends to stray you from actually learning C. Also LUA to C can also confuse you because one is a scripting language, the other is a programming language. LUA literally can take minutes for a user to blit a sprite on to a screen and make it move, with about maybe less than 15 lines of "code". This is relitivly easy, but thus users never come to truely learn the LUA language. While C is alot harder to deal with (having to write the code, makefiles, debugging, compiling, libs). Theres just so much that goes into C.

My suggestion is that you try to learn C. Pick up a book, or read C lessons online, or the best way take courses. If you feel you can't handle C but still want to get into PSP Coding, then take up LUA.

g00gy
May 1st, 2007, 20:13
thanks for your replies. This has been very informative. I dont mind learning C but is it extremelly hard? i heard it takes a very long time to learn. its not like rom hacking is it?

PLZKLLME0080
May 1st, 2007, 20:30
i found this (http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/) a while ago, i never got very far in it though.

g00gy
May 1st, 2007, 20:40
i found this (http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/) a while ago, i never got very far in it though.

Yeh this looks like a nice tutorial; step by step. il try it out when i have time.

yaustar
May 1st, 2007, 20:57
psp-programming main tutorials does NOT teach you C. It teaches you how to use C with the PSP SDK.

Do you want serious advice on what to do to become a programmer or do you just want the shortest route to get programs running on the PSP?

gunntims0103
May 1st, 2007, 21:26
Im taking computer basics/C course next year in school. I strongly suggest you do something similar if you really want to program for the PSP, more importantly to create programs for a computer.

g00gy
May 1st, 2007, 21:43
I like to view game making as an art. And ive always loved games especially handhelds. I was just thinking of creating my own sprites and sound effects to get a game running. the reason im not so sure about lua is that when you create a lua game your dependant on the lua program and i for some reason dont like feeling dependant on another person to create for me a program.

Im not taking computing so this is quite hard. Its like my little hobby. But maybe this is to much for a hobby.

yaustar
May 1st, 2007, 22:05
Forget about C or C++, it will take you too long to keep you interested. It sounds like games design/art is more your focus in which case Lua is pretty much the right tool for you to use. Just make sure you use the Lua reference/wiki here as well as the reference guides to LuaPlayer.

http://lua-users.org/wiki/

parkermauney
May 1st, 2007, 22:16
I started lua, and it seemed a bit inefficient. I have seen examples of lua coding in c++ that look really cool though! I have tried many languages: (C, C#, Java, Liberty BASIC, VB) But it seems the best knowledge I have is of html :D

BlackShark
May 2nd, 2007, 05:01
You shouldn't attempt to learn LUA first because in most cases iv seen it tends to stray you from actually learning C. Also LUA to C can also confuse you because one is a scripting language, the other is a programming language. LUA literally can take minutes for a user to blit a sprite on to a screen and make it move, with about maybe less than 15 lines of "code". This is relitivly easy, but thus users never come to truely learn the LUA language. While C is alot harder to deal with (having to write the code, makefiles, debugging, compiling, libs). Theres just so much that goes into C.

My suggestion is that you try to learn C. Pick up a book, or read C lessons online, or the best way take courses. If you feel you can't handle C but still want to get into PSP Coding, then take up LUA.

I have to disagree, a few months ago I knew Nothing of programming, I tryed to learn C (for computer so i can move to psp) it that alone was just to complicated for me, So a few weeks later I tried learning lua, I told my self to copy and paste NOTHING, Type every thing ALL OUT, that was probably my downfall with learning C, That was successfull, I made a few ok games, my first being PvP Pong v1, wich i completed the very next day after finishing the evilmana tutorials. then I upgraded it through out the time of a month and ended up with PvP Pong v4 which has Online 2 player mode. Content with that I began other Lua projects that I never finished, I started to learn C again, and found it SO MUCH easier BECAUSE i learned LUA. I made a couple simple games and just 2 days ago released my first Real program in C, Ace of Space v1, check it out www.blackshark.nukelol.com any way, my suggestion is to learn lua first, (AND DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANY THING, im telling you you learn 5x faster by doing that) then try to move to C, Google evilmana tutorials for starting Lua!

pibs
May 2nd, 2007, 06:10
i learned java but its not necessary in the psp field so its useless but lua which is easy and anyone can learn from scratch could let ya make some simple games in a day

dark heart
May 2nd, 2007, 07:12
buy a book on coding! :D