PDA

View Full Version : Lameboy v0.1 released - GB/GBC emulator for the DS

DanTheManMS
May 2nd, 2007, 03:15
Brand new GB/GBC emulator named Lameboy released for the DS by Nutki.

From the DS-Scene forum thread (http://ds-scene.net/forum/pforum.php?act=1&publicforum=5&topic=696):

Hi all at DS Scene

About 5 years ago I have wrote partial gameboy emulator in C purely for fun, so it never gone public. To try some NDS programming I have just ported it NDS. As there is no DLDI emu realesed for NDS I decided to add support for it and release here. Rom selection menu is based on work done for StellaDS by spathi-wa from r4ds forums.

Some emulator (mis)features:
- no sound emulation
- no or incorrect serial/ir/dma/cpu emulation
- no realtime sync, game will go as fast as it can
- full speed for games that use less than about 50% of GB CPU
However some games are playable anyway.

How to use:
- copy rom files to /lameboy/ dir on your flash card
- run lameboy.nds and select rom
- in game keys:
-- L+R - back to rom select
-- Y - switch fullscreen upscaling on/off
-- X - save persistant ram to .sav file

Note that this is compatible with DLDI, and that the download below is prepatched with just the R4 DLDI file. Patch it for your specific device before loading it onto your card.

Download and give feedback via comments.

socalpunkroc
May 2nd, 2007, 06:01
Cool, and I thought nobody cared about gb on ds Thanks a lot! I'll give it a go and will be watching for updates.

Cheatsalot123
May 2nd, 2007, 06:11
it may be a little slow but finally being able to save my gb games is very good and being able to play gb games on my ds is cool and the bigger screen feature is nice:) .

kcajblue
May 2nd, 2007, 07:25
hope this gets more developed.

souLLy
May 2nd, 2007, 13:30
quality.
it runs surprisingly well for a first release. I found a few bugs but otherwise excellent stuff. I like the fullscreen option

Mr_Biggs
May 2nd, 2007, 13:50
wow, talk about a stroke of luck. i downloaded DSboy last night to get a super mario land fix. it didnt display .gb files. now this drops into my lap 8 hours later. Luck of the Irish indeed!

JKKDARK
May 2nd, 2007, 15:15
Glad to see a new gb emulator for ds :)

StealthCP
May 2nd, 2007, 17:14
Agreeing with most here, another GB/GBC emulator is most welcome. I feel that as quite an absence in such a homebrew community that would revolve around Nintendo, not to have a fully functional GBC emulator! DLDI is good - I'm expecting good things from this emulator :)

X-Snake-X
May 2nd, 2007, 18:12
the great thing is... or better I say: I think the great thing will be (XD):

If this is a DS emu... maybe it can use the complete speed of the DS a gain some nice speed^^
I mean... I really like to play games like Pokemon or Dragon Warrior with a speed at 500% or more XD

Do you think something like this is possible?

Harshboy
May 2nd, 2007, 22:29
Sweet. I really hope this gets finished because it makes no sense to have a DS but not a GB Emulator for it

jackal27
May 3rd, 2007, 07:03
Pokemon won't save... But Link's Awakening does? Hm? I'll try out a few more as well.

DanTheManMS
May 3rd, 2007, 14:10
wow, talk about a stroke of luck. i downloaded DSboy last night to get a super mario land fix. it didnt display .gb files. now this drops into my lap 8 hours later. Luck of the Irish indeed!

DSboy lied, you must name them to *.gbc for the files to show up. And if you look in the topic here at DCemu, on the last page you'll find a link I posted to an updated version by GPF with some sound capabilities. Even still, Lameboy here is faster and generally better even if it has no sound.

If this is a DS emu... maybe it can use the complete speed of the DS a gain some nice speed^^
I mean... I really like to play games like Pokemon or Dragon Warrior with a speed at 500% or more XD

Do you think something like this is possible?

If further optimizations are made, sure anything is possible. Look at Goomba Color for the GBA - it plays most GB/GBC games at fullspeed, and you can even get a speed boost by holding Select+L. The DS is more powerful, so yeah it would be possible if someone is able to code it. NES DS's fast forward feature is a good example of this. PocketNES for the GBA already had fast forward with Select+L, but NES DS can fast forward much faster with just the R button.

Pokemon won't save... But Link's Awakening does? Hm? I'll try out a few more as well.

Yeah, I wasn't able to get Pokemon to save either, though most other games saved fine. It's odd though, as it wouldn't pick up my pre-existing *.sav file either. Strange.

justin350
May 3rd, 2007, 17:31
I got Pokemon yellow to save. Just act like you where saving in the real game and after you press A to save and it says "saving"press the X button like 3 times (I do 3 case it missed it)
then reset and then play.

And there you go :thumbup:

also oracles of seasons and oracle of ages don't load.