PDA

View Full Version : Does having lots of rep make you look bad!?

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 20:14
i am a good enough guy and i have lots of rep. now i was wondering if having all these dots makes me look BAD rather than good. i'm not one to rep people saying simply "rep me back", i have never begged for rep and i have never even put "+rep me" in my sig. i know lots of others DO do all of this and i think i look to some people like one of these rep whores. this would be a shame as i like to think i am one of the least argumentative, most likeable and most level headed members here right now and i don't want people thinking i'm a dirty little rep slut.

SnesR0X
May 3rd, 2007, 20:19
no mang, you lookin good

Buddy4point0
May 3rd, 2007, 20:19
yea i know alot of people that have plus rep me in there sig but they never help others, i help noobs all the time and i have a bunch of rep, i bet you help too thats why u have a bunch of rep.

but for all the noobs that have +rep me in your sig, please take it out becuase its not gonna improve your chances of getting repped, also rep is for fun so chill and it doesnt matter

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 20:23
yeah basically, i just think it might make some people take one look and go "REP WHORE" and think less of me...

SnesR0X
May 3rd, 2007, 20:31
why did eveyone get crazy about rep all of a sudden anyway? It used to not matter at all...

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 20:39
yeah i know. after some members had their rep taken the "rep explosion" happened. junk was in a bad state at the time and had some major changes. i'm pretty sure the "rep explosion" will be a well remembered part of dcemu history!

also it had something to do with wraggy and kaiser puttting up their reps. everyone was like "woah he has 3 frickin' dots!".

wolfpack
May 3rd, 2007, 21:04
thats why i ask for -rep! im a rebel :p

The King
May 3rd, 2007, 21:09
yea there's very few people here that have all that rep and in my opinion they deserve it
from now on who ever has a "+rep me" in there sig i will give em minus rep so they dont beg and dont be rep hores guahahahahahaha

and wolfpack ur cool i will always minus rep u wen i can just to see u with all those red dots

i bet money that wen u get all of ur red dots every body is going to want them that is so gay if it happens

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 21:10
yeah well done on that actually, you are getting ever closer! i bear no grudge with you because your thing is alittle quest of sorts :)

ICE
May 3rd, 2007, 21:11
about 6 months ago NO ONE had much rep and then all of the sudden it became a fad to have lots of rep.

i get rep all the time saying "rep trade" and crap like that... i think if you dont have a lot of posts and you have a lot of rep then yes it does make you look bad.

Triv1um
May 3rd, 2007, 21:14
Yes agreed.

Too be honest i don't know how i have got so much rep.

Because all the people i help out, have no rep to pass onto me.

Oh well.

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 21:14
(that last comment was at wolfy btw)

yeah thank you for backing me up ice, i get pissed off with the whole "rep trade" thing.

dejkirkby
May 3rd, 2007, 22:01
It doesn't bother me as such, but one little thing about it that I take issue with is this.
A newcomer to this site will see someone with a few dots and someone with loads of dots and assume the guy with loads of dots knows more than the guy with less dots.
For example, I have like 2 dots (i think) but have been in the scene longer and have helped more people than, say, gdf, who has 7 dots (just using you as an example my TP amigo).
The reason it looks so bad is mainly because of rep whoring Helpful people who don't rep whore look like they do because they have lots of dots.
It has gone beyond a joke and it would be better for the site if rep was abolished.
I mean, there are actually members on this site that contribute very little indeed, and actually make this site look stupid, but have extraordinary rep numbers.

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 22:06
i don't want rep to go, i like having the competitive element, especially in the lounge, of trying to beat each other to the next dot. the rep system is just a bit of fun, but some people take it as a stone cold recognisation of how good someone is and that is where the problems arise. when some noob has +rep me in their sig people will think i rep people saying "rep me back" and i think that reflects badly on me.

dejkirkby
May 3rd, 2007, 22:15
I know for a fact you aren't a rep whore, but a LOT of other are.
But you can swear like a trooper!

gdf
May 3rd, 2007, 22:19
damn straight. i am the bomb at swearing. if "thou shalt not swear" is one of the 10 commandments then i' ****ED!

Triv1um
May 3rd, 2007, 22:20
too be honest, I think it would be better if the rep system was gone.

I totally agree with everything dejkirkby said.

Gold Line
May 3rd, 2007, 22:35
+REP me!

nah im only joking i got bored with the rep thing i use to beg and sell my body for rep but now its just kinda dum

your rep dots should go up if you have a lot of posts thats what happens at HandHeld Customs.

kcajblue
May 3rd, 2007, 22:37
...and i think i look to some people like one of these rep whores.im not a rep whore. :(

wolfpack
May 3rd, 2007, 23:43
thanks guys! youre all awesome. this is my home :D

ICE
May 4th, 2007, 00:27
heres what i dont agree with.

Gold line(nothing against him) has 600 posts and 3 dots.

dejkirkby has like 2000 posts and only 2 dots.

make sense?

Gold Line
May 4th, 2007, 00:34
lol the king has 300 posts and 3 dots!

Video_freak
May 4th, 2007, 01:43
Well JKKDARK has lots of spam posts though. (No offense.) It really isn't anything to be taken seriously, and if you beg for rep, then you don't get what it's about.

dejkirkby
May 4th, 2007, 07:20
Totally spot-on there V_f

quzar
May 4th, 2007, 09:59
I don't look at rep now because it's 100% meaningless. Hell, some of you junkers made multiple accounts to rep yourselves with -_-.

heres what i dont agree with.

Gold line(nothing against him) has 600 posts and 3 dots.

dejkirkby has like 2000 posts and only 2 dots.

make sense?

I'm not saying this is the case for these users, but you must also realize that someone making 300 extremely good posts should always have more rep than someone making 3000 spam posts (again, I don't mean that to be representative of those two users specifically, just in general).

Chameleon
May 4th, 2007, 10:29
before i was ever noticed i helped noobs out... thats all i did and never got any cred, just PMs out of the ass saying how do you do this, never once did i refuse to help someone, but i figured the whole rep scene is blowing up maybe i should get on the train, and than I might have something to show for it...now i can feel at ease knowing that all the stuff i did wasnt for nothing, seeing as i have helped well over 100s of noobs that have had problems, and all i ever wanted was recognition as such

dejkirkby
May 4th, 2007, 13:14
before i was ever noticed i helped noobs out... thats all i did and never got any cred, just PMs out of the ass saying how do you do this, never once did i refuse to help someone, but i figured the whole rep scene is blowing up maybe i should get on the train, and than I might have something to show for it...now i can feel at ease knowing that all the stuff i did wasnt for nothing, seeing as i have helped well over 100s of noobs that have had problems, and all i ever wanted was recognition as such
I'm glad you got the recognition you desired, but you said it yourself, you didn't get the recognition for helping people, you got it for rep whoring.
I, personally, go along with quzar on this one. I'm not remotely interested in the rep system, but for the interest of the site newcomers, it can be seen as a guide for who to go to when they need help.

EDIT: This is not a plea for extra rep!

Gizmo356
May 4th, 2007, 13:16
about 6 months ago NO ONE had much rep and then all of the sudden it became a fad to have lots of rep.

i get rep all the time saying "rep trade" and crap like that... i think if you dont have a lot of posts and you have a lot of rep then yes it does make you look bad.

The rep system never worked till kaiser got around to implement it, I always tried to +rep people but it would just take me to there profile page.

quzar
May 4th, 2007, 13:26
The rep system never worked till kaiser got around to implement it, I always tried to +rep people but it would just take me to there profile page.

That's not true, it worked, just not very well (I think it worked when we first witched to vbulletin, but then conked out after some update).

I know when he first revamped the rep system and DS69 put up a list of the top rep's I was in there with like 45 points or something (rep from 05).

gdf
May 5th, 2007, 13:13
when someone had 1 dot and it said "such and such is a wise old git" it looked impressive. now nothing really does. Most of my rep is from reviews or repping or helping people out or saying funny shit. i'm sure dejkirkby would have had a huge rep had he kept posting as much as he used to. same goes for v_f.

Triv1um
May 5th, 2007, 15:23
Alot of my rep is from me helping people.

But alot of it is also from people wanting rep trades. Lol.

gdf
May 5th, 2007, 15:28
lol some of mine too