PDA

View Full Version : Lameboy - GB/GBC emulator for DS v0.4

wraggster
May 4th, 2007, 19:48
Nutki (http://ds-scene.net/forum/pforum.php?act=1&publicforum=5&topic=696&page=2#10)has been busy and released a few updates to his Gameboy/Gameboy Colour emulator for the Nintendo DS:

How about this, two releases per day. Now Zelda Oracle of the Ages/Seasons goes ingame.
Pokemon G/S still hangs during save for some reason.

Changelog:
- fix for Zelda Oracle hang after first screen
- implemented GBC tile in foreground priority attribute

Here comes first lameboy quickfix. It does not help for Zelda Oracle´s nor Pokemon G/S saves though.
Also forgot to mention in the first post, maximum rom size is 2MB (16MBit) because it has to fit in DS RAM. Same applies to roms stored in .zip files.

- "ADD SP, #xx" instruction fix, (helps many games compatibility including Pokemon Card 2 and DK Land)
- CGB HDMA bug fixed
- MBC type 0x13 correctly recognized (now save works in Pokemon Red/Green/Blue)
- added some powersaving when NDS closed during emulation

- zipped rom support

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

naruto777
May 4th, 2007, 19:50
YAY! This pwns all...

socalpunkroc
May 4th, 2007, 21:03
Thanks, can't wait to try it out.
You the man (Unless your female of course)

Harshboy
May 4th, 2007, 22:54
Woo, Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons work! Nice job!

campbell00
May 5th, 2007, 01:18
does it run/will it ever run full speed?

iq_132
May 5th, 2007, 01:27
does it run/will it ever run full speed?

Not great (and no sound), but you never know, the author is still working it, so hopefully maybe.

Carn
May 5th, 2007, 01:35
Does this work on the MMD?

jedimaster12
May 5th, 2007, 02:17
it works on MMD u jsut got to DLDI patch it

Hyrule_boy
May 5th, 2007, 12:54
It runs Links awakening DX at good speed on my DS! I hope there will be sound support soon. :)

kiariki
May 5th, 2007, 20:23
Not great (and no sound), but you never know, the author is still working it, so hopefully maybe.

Wait a second! Lameboy is great! :/ It already plays a vast majority of GB/C games. At least, it seems to play GB games very well. As for GBC games, Link's Awakening DX works and so does Dragon Quest I & II. So... :P

But there's still no sound, so here's hoping it gets fixed! :D This is probably the best emulator for the DS! :D

Mr_Biggs
May 5th, 2007, 20:45
why hasnt this been added to the Emulators for DS list? cant wait for the sound version!

Harshboy
May 6th, 2007, 05:07
I can't believe that a decent GB/C Emulator wasn't released a long time ago. You'd think that a Gameboy Emulator would be one of the first emulators for a DS since it's the only generation of Gameboys not Compatible with the Hardware...

DanTheManMS
May 6th, 2007, 06:24
What about the Gameboy Micro? The DS isn't even a Gameboy to begin with, but whatever.

It actually was one of the first systems emulated, and you can see the DCemu page on DS_GBC for info, but it was slow as heck and fairly unusable.

The problem with emulators is that they require a good knowledge of both the host system and the system being emulated. Finding someone with this skill, who also has the time and patience to work on an emulator to get it up to fullspeed, is hard to do.

It would still be best if Dwedit manages to convert Goomba Color's sourcecode to GCC so it can be ported to the DS easily, but until then this is the best we've got.

Just a random tidbit: emulating the sound might be somewhat tricky. With Goomba Color, it just passed all commands directly to the GBC sound chip that's present within all iterations of the GBA, generating the sound using pre-existing hardware and barely even emulating it at all. However, this GBC sound chip is not accessible from DS mode, so the sound must be fully software emulated. It should prove to be an interesting progression if the author ever decides to tackle it.

F2bnp
May 6th, 2007, 11:40
Woah!!!The framerate is actually good!Hope sound version comes soon!Super Mario Land 2 here I come!

lightningquickguy14
May 6th, 2007, 20:02
Wait, what kind of files do I use? They aren't working...

kiariki
May 6th, 2007, 20:56
Wait, what kind of files do I use? They aren't working...

You download this emulator.
You DLDI patch it to your system.
You make a folder called "lameboy"
You add .gb or .gbc files to the folder you've just created.
Insert your card into your DS. Turn on the DS.
Select Lameboy.
Select a game.
Have fun and relive those old memories.

God... Playing Mario Land 2 made me remember those days when I was like... What? 6? 5? God knows... And by God... Mario Land, which I haven't played since it got lost... Ahhh...

I don't mind not having sound for the old games, since I could barely hear the sound anyways when I played on the old Gameboy. :P But some sound would be nice...

acevampire
May 6th, 2007, 21:37
On my MMD i dont have to make a folder called Lameboy, it actually doesn't matter what folder you put it in. Just make sure you DLDI patch it if you use MMD.