PDA

View Full Version : N64 Emulation not possible?

Elven6
May 7th, 2007, 03:04
So I was looking through the Nintendo 64 specs because Im hoping to do a N64 emulator port for Dreamcast. The Dreamcast has 200MHZ while the N64 has about 95MHZ from what I heard to be emulatable you would need about 7* the systems specs. So does that mean it won't be able to run games?

JKKDARK
May 7th, 2007, 04:01
there's already a Nintendo 64 emulator for Dreamcast but it only runs few homebrew demos

oosername05
May 7th, 2007, 13:37
there could be a n64 emulator for the dreamcast, the problem exists with the games because some games have extra ram in the cartridges. The Dreamcast has a Very limited amount of ram, maybe it could run the emulator but no actual games would play. (someone correct me if anything in this post is unaccurate)

Elven6
May 7th, 2007, 14:14
there could be a n64 emulator for the dreamcast, the problem exists with the games because some games have extra ram in the cartridges. The Dreamcast has a Very limited amount of ram, maybe it could run the emulator but no actual games would play. (someone correct me if anything in this post is unaccurate)

I know their is a emulator out but that can't run any games. And if you find a way to tell the system to load it on part by part it will work. The same system is used in Neo Geo emulators for DC.

oosername05
May 7th, 2007, 15:25
Yes, i know how the neo geo emulator works. That type of emulator works well with a game such as metal
slug but many games for the n64 would not be enjoyable that way. I have also seen the n64 emulator for the xbox and some games strugle to play correctly.
I would get just the console which im going to do sometime this week. Im going to buy the n64 from a friend... it has smash brothers, fifa, mario 64, turok and some other games i cant rememer.

Masta-G
May 7th, 2007, 16:38
The dreamcast has 16mbytes of ram and 8mbytes video ram (correct me if I'm wrong). In order to emulate the rom cartridges they have to be loaded into ram, so I think it would only work with the 64mbit (8mbyte) roms like mario64, leaving 8mbytes left for the emulation process. I think it's not worth the effort, unless its possible to break the roms apart and load only small parts like the neogeo emulator.

Christuserloeser
May 7th, 2007, 23:11
Technically it would be possible to emulate the N64 on a Dreamcast. The RAM problems aren't that much of a problem too. The actual problem is the insane amount of work needed.

Elven6
May 8th, 2007, 02:18
Man coding without engines is harder then I though it would be. O well I guess until a easier method comes up like with the PSP I won't be doing much. So is anyone working on a N64 emulator for Dreamcast?

Masta-G
May 8th, 2007, 18:24
I would eat my shoe if someone was working on a N64 emulator :P