PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Desert Island Game?

wraggster
May 7th, 2007, 19:51
via slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/07/173222)

1up has a feature today asking games industry heavyweights what their 'desert island game' would be. Games from the Civilization series are backed by the likes of Sony's Phil Harrison, David Jaffe, and Bethesda's Todd Howard, while Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has waiting-for-rescue fans among a number of the list respondents. Bioware CEO Ray Muzyka has an interesting answer to the question while talking about his pick: StarCraft.

" It's an unusual choice for me in that I'd normally pick a role-playing game. But StarCraft has a strong campaign editor to make new content (including making either combat-oriented or story-based campaigns), plus you can play both the solid single-player campaign and against the A.I., and -- here's the trick -- you can play on a LAN or WAN (you said no Internet, but didn't mention local or wide area networks...my goal would be to build a WAN -- I'd explain how, but that would be telling -- connecting other folks similarly dropped onto nearby desert islands by other videogame online sites, who are equally eager to play some competitive multiplayer RTS or try out the campaigns I've created to kill time on the long days where there's nothing else to do but collect coconuts and build rafts."

So, assuming that you have everything you need to play, what game would you want to take with you into seclusion?

Give me Command and Conquer Decades, Starcraft and the Theme Park/Hospital/World Games and im happy ;)

Psyberjock
May 7th, 2007, 20:21
Easily Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. (not around yet, but that way I'd have maximum playability) I've already put over 400 hours each into 1 and 2. It has the highest replay value of ANY game I have EVER played. Even when you beat everything you can keep playing just out of the camaraderie aspect of the game.

Barring that, I'd have to say Diablo 3 (again, hoping they release it by the time I'm on the island) Diablo 2 is perhaps the second most (actually, maybe the first but it doesn't keep track of hours played so I can't be sure) played game by me. This game is great cause you can always try to get better weapons since they're random, and when you get utterly tired of being nice you can PK people and find a whole new evil life to live. (hardcore or nothing. if it doesn't matter if you die, what does it matter if you live?)

Those are my picks. Anyone agree with me?

DarthPaul
May 7th, 2007, 20:28
Guitar Hero!

Cloud_35
May 7th, 2007, 21:10
I'm between Resident Evil 4, MGS 3 and the LOST game (not yet released but.....:D)

sroon
May 7th, 2007, 21:22
Deffenatly Secret Of Mana:)
My whole childhood was based on that game..
( O ) ( O )

Jonesyxxiv
May 7th, 2007, 21:47
Hmm thats a tough question, but id say Starcraft, Perfect Dark, RE4, or OOT.

paladinja
May 7th, 2007, 22:10
For me, the only games you could just keep playing forever are fighters, namely streetfighter. So I'd go with an official answer of "Street Fighter 3: third strike". Just keep getting MO' betta & MO' betta for evah & evah!!! though I could get talked into "perfect dark" if im stranded with some real gamers.... hmmm and i have been playing a lot of "card fighters clash".... hmm, maybe I can't decide, CAN I TAKE A GIRL INSTEAD?!?!?!
hahahaaaa

mike_jmg
May 7th, 2007, 22:51
A game that I will spend a lot of time and is also a lot of fun
Disgaea Hour of Darkness, Because i havenīt beat it yet, and my savegame says that I have been playing for 50 hours (leveling takes a lot of time)

quzar
May 7th, 2007, 23:02
Probably either Heroes of Might and Magic 4 (with expansions), Minesweeper, or, if there were hallucinogenic anythings on the island, Rez.

Abgoj
May 7th, 2007, 23:22
mmmm.... probably FFVII. I've played that game so many times and I am not at all bored of it, and I probably never will be :)

Gold Line
May 7th, 2007, 23:43
3 words secret of mana :cool:

O-bake
May 7th, 2007, 23:47
Super Mario World, of course.

I thought about a Civilization, but once you know the AI, it's getting boring pretty fast.

geise69
May 7th, 2007, 23:49
This might not be fair but my desert island game is a tie between 3 of my favorites. Ys Book I&II (TG-16), Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Radiant Silvergun.

I_Highway
May 8th, 2007, 00:14
It will be certainly Civilization, with expasions. Even translate to Portuguese is fun! Or, maybe even Colonization, I guess this is the game I spent more time playing ever.

Veskgar
May 8th, 2007, 01:20
For me, due to the huge depth and replayability, I'd pick Final Fantasy Tactics: Lion War for the PSP.

Its not out yet but if it was, that would be my desert island game. If I were leaving for the island tomorrow, the original FF Tactics would be sufficient on the PSP via POPS.

Just, how would we recharge the battery after those first 7-9 hours?

Emeriastone
May 8th, 2007, 02:05
Dude, I'd go with Starcraft.

PrettyStupidPerson
May 8th, 2007, 02:44
mmmm.... probably FFVII. I've played that game so many times and I am not at all bored of it, and I probably never will be :)

unfortunately i would have to agree wit u... even though im not a big fan of the ff series. but from wat i know of it is a really long game and should keep me company... until i lose my sanity

but if not that then resident evil outbreak 1 and 2 for sure

Shadowblind
May 8th, 2007, 02:46
Pokemon Diamond. Theres so much tons of stuff to do after you beat the game. It never finishes...

Or even better, Civilization: Call to Power. I have spent so many joyful hours playing that game on the different difficulties, as different nations, with different strategies, I lost track after 500.

PrettyStupidPerson
May 8th, 2007, 02:52
Pokemon Diamond. Theres so much tons of stuff to do after you beat the game. It never finishes...

Or even better, Civilization: Call to Power. I have spent so many joyful hours playing that game on the different difficulties, as different nations, with different strategies, I lost track after 500.

oh yea. i forgot about pokemon games... i would play that... that is if i still did. i stoped after saphire v
cus i converted 2 sonys psp... if only they made one for it but i doubt it

Shadowblind
May 8th, 2007, 03:18
You can still play emerald through GpSp. It runs like a charm :)

robocelot
May 8th, 2007, 03:40
Barring that, I'd have to say Diablo 3 (again, hoping they release it by the time I'm on the island) Diablo 2 is perhaps the second most (actually, maybe the first but it doesn't keep track of hours played so I can't be sure) played game by me. This game is great cause you can always try to get better weapons since they're random, and when you get utterly tired of being nice you can PK people and find a whole new evil life to live. (hardcore or nothing. if it doesn't matter if you die, what does it matter if you live?)

Those are my picks. Anyone agree with me?

I agree with you in theory about Diablo 2, but I'll up the ante and say Nethack which has even more random dungeons and events and is nearly impossible to beat. Sure, it's not as purdy as Diablo but who gives a crap about pretty graphics when there's no one to show it off to? :-)

My second choice would be one that we came up with on the classic gaming usenet groups more than a decade ago (yes, us old fogies were having desert island game discussions back then!) -- Gravitar for the Atari 2600, which is a fiendishly difficult game but not so difficult that you would give up in disgust. It's something that would take years of dedicated gaming to finish.

DarthPaul
May 8th, 2007, 06:06
GUITAR HERO!!!!!!! Wait I posted this already....hm..it's just that this game rocks lol. I think this is my favorite game. O_O I can't get enough..

oooooomonkeys
May 8th, 2007, 11:11
id have to say the original COUNTER STRIKE as its the only game ive never stopped playing on and off for years :thumbup:

Broadus
May 8th, 2007, 15:59
Mmm, definitely Starcraft. I love first-person-shooters, but nothing will ever be more timeless to me than Starcraft.

robman84
May 8th, 2007, 20:29
Definitely the as-yet-unreleased "Boat Building Trainer" for DS :-)