PDA

View Full Version : SNEmul v0.5 beta released - Snes Emulator for Nintendo DS

DanTheManMS
May 7th, 2007, 21:28
New release from Archeide (http://snemul.com/ds/):

This version aims to improve in sound and graphics. As the emulation becomes more and more complex, it is more and more difficult to add new features without breaking the emulation overall, so some new feature will not be enabled by default for all games. The configuration file select which features are enabled or not, and becomes very important (so don’t forget to put it in the root directory!).

I tried very hard to improve sound, and i succeeded to get much better musics in some games, but there may still some “pops” or “cracks” sometimes, and the sound can slowdown or goes mad in some rare circumtances (the ARM7 seems not powerful enough).

A new menu has been added : the GFX config menu, this menu offer a simple way to change the GFX behaviour in real time. The emulation is not stopped like in the options menu, you can enable/disable several features and see which ones are better for the game. (See README for more informations)
Here is the list of changes

* Changed the Sound timers, now the timers should be a bit more accurate and removed the timers hacks
* Moved back the Sound RAM in the fast ARM7 RAM, removed unused code from ARM7 codes
* Now support sprite address change during frame (limited to two addresses by frame), this makes Ogre Battle much more playable
* Left handed people can now enjoy the SNES mouse option (right buttons can be used like left joypad).
* Options can now be saved in configuration file
* New SNES config menu
* Fixed some bugs

Optionnal feature (enabled by configuration file):

* Added sound synchronisation fixes, this is a set of flags that make ARM9 slowdown or make ARM9 wait for the ARM7. Those options make Square games (and other games) sound much better, but also break sound in other games. So this option is available through the configuration file. I only changed for the configuraiton file for Chrono Trigger, SOM1 and FFVI. You will have to modify the configuration and test the options for other games.
* Added priority per tile for BG3, by detecting if there are more low or high priority per tile at each line (see README)
* Added priority per tile for BG1 and BG2, by using the fourth DS layer. Low priority tiles go to fourth layer, and high priority per tiles (this idea was taken from SNESAdvance). This option is useful for SOM1 and FFVI (set it to BG2).
* Sprites priorities can now be changed. See configuraiton file for more informations. The default is 1123 but 1223 makes some games look better (like Castlevania IV first level for instance)

Be sure to patch it with DLDI and place the SNEmul.cfg file on the root of your card. A prepatched version for the M3 Simply and R4 is available here, but for other devices DLDI must be applied.

Download and Give Feedback & Compatability Reports Via Comments

Junixx
May 7th, 2007, 23:06
OH Sound is 75% better, still a little messed up in places, and i see sometimes the notes go into the wrong octave :eek: but this is a great update! Good to see it's still being worked on

Havikar
May 7th, 2007, 23:14
How does super metroid run with it? so far in teh ds emulation market for teh snes thats the only game right now i realy really really want to have portable version of on my ds.

Carn
May 7th, 2007, 23:34
Um so this adds better support for FFVI? Does this mean this version actually plays VI without many problems? Kind of want to know this before I go out looking for VI to play on it.

DanTheManMS
May 7th, 2007, 23:43
I just tested Super Metroid a bit, and it seems to run very well, better than previous versions. I didn't have to mess with the graphics at all, though I did need to change the Vblank and Speedhacks a bit to maintain fullspeed in all areas. Sound is much improved, you can see the text boxes now, and all in all it works great.

EDIT: carn, I have no idea, sorry.

Bobby Lemain
May 7th, 2007, 23:51
awsome! Space Megaforce was running good enough for me (seeing as I alredy beat the game the only thing that matters is FPS, plus loving glitches the weird graphics made my day) but seeing this update, I jave u MAJOR props, this is...awsome! =[)

Havikar
May 7th, 2007, 23:51
as soon as i get back to my dorm and load super emtroid and it works .. i will find you and kiss you, you magnificent glorious god. then proceed to worship you.

Sin-07
May 7th, 2007, 23:52
This Games run perfect with super-sound and without glitches or bugs:
Super BC Kid E
Bonkers U
Super Adventure Island E
Mario Allstars + world E
Sunset Riders E
Alien 3 E
Art Of Fighting
Bubsy in..... E
Final Fight 1 E 2US 3 E
Duffy Duck E
Mickys Magical Quest E
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Sparkster E
Pocky & Rocky 1 U + 2 E
Rocky the Rodent
Turtles 4 E
Super Bomberman 2
Aero the Acrobat E
Micro Machines E
Speedy Gonzales US
Rocky The Rodent E
Addams Family
Scooby Doo US
World Heroes US
D-Force US
Justice Leage Task E
Bikermice from Mars E
Run Saber E
Pinnball Dreams E
The Pagemaster US
Goof Troop E

Contra 3 (with some bugs, but good playable)

(tested with GBAMP2 and SC/SD)

skipboris
May 7th, 2007, 23:58
Yea this is sweet! Chrono trigger and Secret of mana are now 95-99% perfect including sound! I noticed many other games work very well now too. Everyone should give this emulator a try. :thumbup:

Bobby Lemain
May 8th, 2007, 01:02
heh, i just tried space megaforce after sanding down my spare shell, and to my delight the graphics are profoundly better! on the title screen. In game, the background layer of the planet below has gotten worse-altough the random numbers by the lake dissapeared-but the sound has improved =)

Echo1
May 8th, 2007, 01:10
Donkey Kong Country is not working for me anymore.

Edit: Got it working but only by pressing the select button. It will freeze not long after load up if I press nothing. Oh, I'm using an R4DS, if that makes any difference.

lostspyder
May 8th, 2007, 01:31
Awesome, you should set up a way to donate. I would send a few bucks if you did. This is fantastic.

Havikar
May 8th, 2007, 01:32
OK i'm findleing with supe rmetroid and it runs good but not at the same time. Alot of graphical glitches .. like in all teh squish mode i can't see the ground at all unless i do yscroll bottem. Then when i fight ridley its just basically black ecept for him and me. now when i get to the planet and press start to go in to my menu and map all i see is black. and when samus runs theres weired artifacts. But other then those i would say its running rather well.

falcon212
May 8th, 2007, 01:39
awesome, mario working great, no more cutted screen

DanTheManMS
May 8th, 2007, 02:21
Donkey Kong Country is not working for me anymore.

Not sure what you're talking about. Works fine for me.

like in all teh squish mode i can't see the ground at all unless i do yscroll bottem.
That's what is supposed to happen actually. The squish mode only squishes Mode 3, which games usually use for the HUD. Therefore, you're supposed to change it to bottom if you need to and then use the squish option to let the HUD be visible. SNEmulDS does not squish the entire screen like SnezziDS does.

Then when i fight ridley its just basically black ecept for him and me.
That's a really minor issue.

now when i get to the planet and press start to go in to my menu and map all i see is black.
Go into the graphics config and change the "BG3 block priority" option. Come to think of it, this might fix the Ridley issue as well, but I'm not sure.

I'm really impressed by the sound quality in Chrono Trigger. Compared to the last version, it's 100 times better. I realize this is because of a game-specific setting in SNEmul.cfg, but it's still awesome.

XioN980
May 8th, 2007, 04:52
To all aussies out there:

The graphics bugs in Super International Cricket ar mostly fixed!!! ie, it doesn't glitch when you hit the ball, some unimportant graphics are missing (like when you hit the seagull on the boundry ;))

Wikid release!

Wii60_FTW
May 8th, 2007, 10:55
Will I be able to SEE the bosses in Super Mario World, now? I tried selecting every layer mode possible and still I could never see any of the bosses on the alpha release. I had to save then jump around until I accidentally won each boss :) Don't ask me how, but I got to the forest world by doing this...

Hopefully this release will take care of that?!?!?

Cygoku
May 8th, 2007, 13:05
Finally MegamanX is back and working a bit better. Sound as improved a lot (still not prefect), I had to change bg to see dialog and use wait for vblank as the game was game speed was to high.

Cygoku

Wii60_FTW
May 8th, 2007, 23:13
NOPE. STILL CAN'T SEE ANY BOSSES IN MARIO. :( And I still have no idea what's up with Crono Trigger. lol

The music is better on all games, though............................

redsyrup
May 9th, 2007, 00:48
This is fantastic news!!!

Greenwing
May 10th, 2007, 00:38
I originally posted this in the SNEmul v0.5 Alpha thread, but since this version is more recent and i'm getting the same error, ill post it here, too:

I'm having a problem with this emu. I go to select rom, and i choose the rom i want to load, but when my ds displays "press START to launch ROM" and "press SELECT to go back", pressing start just takes me back to the main menu. can someone help me?

btw, i'm using an mmd

DanTheManMS
May 10th, 2007, 00:59
NOPE. STILL CAN'T SEE ANY BOSSES IN MARIO. :(
We've determined that to fix this, simply set it to No Vblank for a second, go back in game, and then change it back. No clue why this is.

Greenwing, I'm not really sure what the issue is in your case. You've patched it with DLDI, correct? Have you tried tapping the "start" button instead of pressing the Start button on the DS? Does this happen in v0.4 as well?

Greenwing
May 10th, 2007, 01:50
Greenwing, You've patched it with DLDI, correct?

Yes

Have you tried tapping the "start" button instead of pressing the Start button on the DS?

Yes, It does the same thing as just pressing start on the DS.

Does this happen in v0.4 as well?

I haven't tried but i suppose i could.

EDIT: Tried with DLDI patched v0.4, same error
EDIT (again): Well, it seems it has something to do with the rom I was using because
I tried a different rom and it worked just fine.

billyman
May 10th, 2007, 07:49
i have tried everything to get this emulator to work but no success guys! I have a Max Media dock with the 4 gig HDD. Ive tried the patched v0.4, i tried patching this new version, my config file is in the root, i set up a SNES folder with the rom and nothing! It keeps saying no roms found. I tried the v0.3 test version and that got to the part where you load a rom but then there were no roms listed. I really wanna try my old snes collection on my DS. Any help or tips is appreciated!

DanTheManMS
May 10th, 2007, 22:57
Try adding more than one game to the folder. Perhaps the one game you added doesn't boot correctly. For instance, games with coprocessors like SMRPG and Kirby Superstar simply won't boot at all.

Greenwing
May 10th, 2007, 23:58
Try adding more than one game to the folder. Perhaps the one game you added doesn't boot correctly. For instance, games with coprocessors like SMRPG and Kirby Superstar simply won't boot at all.

No wonder i've been having problems, since i've been trying to run Kirby Superstar.

DanTheManMS
May 11th, 2007, 00:36
Ah yes, that would explain it. All those games with extra chips won't run, as the coprocessors are not emulated (yet). See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_games_with_special_chips for a more complete list of games that won't work as a result of this.

billyman
May 11th, 2007, 22:17
thanks for the reply, but i had it right all this time. My dumb self had the CF card in upside down!!:eek: it works great so far. Minor sound and graphic glitches here and there but the 3 games i've tried so far are all totally playable

Pyroman_exe
May 12th, 2007, 17:07
hi im new.

Oddly enough 0.4a2 works but 0.5b doesnt.
and even more odd some homebrew games only work if i boot it with moonshell (and my shiny ah my goddess skin XD)

d0m0kun
May 23rd, 2007, 15:18
I can't get it to work.

Do the roms have to have a certain file extension? Mine are all blank (no file extension), just seen as files under windows. Do I need to add a file type to them?

I have several roms in a directory called SNES which is on top level. Then I have the emulator file on top level. I have tried SNEmulDSv04, SNEmulDSv05a2 and SNEmulDSv05b_M3S_R4. The version 05 emulator comes with a config file called snemul.cfg which I have tried putting on top level, and within the SNES directory. But it still does not work.

I'm using an R4, and I have patched the nds files with the DLDI tool.

When I start SNEmulDS, I get the following:

-= SNEmulDS 0.5 by archeide =-
Init OK
0x200ad18Initialize FS..
Please restart if stuck...
FS OK!
rompath = /SNES
No files found.
Please put ROMs in /SNES directory of your CF/SD card

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

timeslip
May 24th, 2007, 09:25
Finally! a decent working SNES emulator - thank you

tahtah
May 24th, 2007, 09:41
where do u download your roms because there are all ****ing ESA protected or sumthing so I can't download them because of this protection.

Billo-Exx
May 24th, 2007, 10:05
use filesharing or whatever there is always a way to find them

d0m0kun
May 24th, 2007, 14:03
Never mind. Answered my own question by downloading another torrent of 800+ SNES games. This time they all had a file extension of .SMC, and I found renaming my other ROMS to gamename.smc worked too.

Shame not all ROMs work on the emulator though. So far, about 70% of the ones i've tried load up but don't work properly or don't get past the main menus. Still a nice idea though, could be good if they continue developing and improving it.

d0m0kun
May 24th, 2007, 14:05
where do u download your roms because there are all ****ing ESA protected or sumthing so I can't download them because of this protection.
Go to www.isohunt.com
Search for SNES.
Pick one of the torrents containing hundreds of SNES ROMS.
Save the torrent file.

use some bittorrent software such as Azureus, uTorrent, BitTornado etc.. to start downloading the files.

tarius09
June 3rd, 2007, 02:36
anyone wanna tell me how to make this work on my games'n music catridge? it keeps just sayin intializing fs or something like that over and over how do you make it reconize your roms? I dont know it says something about /snes/

DanTheManMS
June 3rd, 2007, 04:14
It will not work on the GnM cart until a DLDI file is made for it so that SNEmulDS can talk to the filesystem. Your only option for SNES emulation would be to use the "quickstart slot-1 instructions" for SNES DS at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_DS

Reading the documentation is always good though. If you open the README file with a text editor, you'd find instructions for installing SNEmulDS on your cart. While they won't work for you, it still would have been best if you tried that method first.

tarius09
June 3rd, 2007, 19:35
dan the man i need help with snes ds i cant make the make_.nds work right.

malditx
June 3rd, 2007, 19:56
Hi, im new in this. I tried to run snesmulds on my mmd but unfortunately i have no success in that. The only version im able to run is snesmulds v3 but i want the version 5 to run on my mmd. I have read about to patch it but i dont understand how to do that. I want if someone can explain how to do that for dummies because im newbe here.

DanTheManMS
June 3rd, 2007, 20:30
dan the man i need help with snes ds i cant make the make_.nds work right.

You really need to be more specific. "It doesn't work" doesn't help me troubleshoot the problem at all. What exactly is the issue? Is ndstool located in the same directory? Are you saving as the default "snesDS.ds.gba" name?

Hi, im new in this. I tried to run snesmulds on my mmd but unfortunately i have no success in that. The only version im able to run is snesmulds v3 but i want the version 5 to run on my mmd. I have read about to patch it but i dont understand how to do that. I want if someone can explain how to do that for dummies because im newbe here.

Follow the instructions on http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS and make sure to pay special attention to step 3 and the related article it links to. In the related article, look at the "getting started" section for your various options and the recommended method.

tarius09
June 3rd, 2007, 23:57
i downloaded it and extracted it and put it in the same directory as everything else but when i double click it to run it just pops up a black screen for a sec...i have no idea what im suppose to do and the instructions dont help...:confused:

DanTheManMS
June 4th, 2007, 00:02
Read the DLDI article again, noticing the recommended method for patching with DLDI. You're trying to run a command-line application when you have no knowledge of the command-line, which isn't going to work. Look a couple of sentences above that in the article, as it tells you exactly what to use and how to use it (it really can't be much simpler)

EDIT: darnit, thought you were the guy who needed help with SNEmulDS. Sorry about that.

I'm not exactly sure why it's not launching at all. Do you have all the necessary files in the directory? Like the snesDS.exe program?

bobrowski123
June 4th, 2007, 01:04
i have a supercard (one) i've tried so many things to get it to work im new to this stuff so i open the program up and it says fs failure continue anyway rompath /snes/

no files found

please put roms in /snes. directiory of your sd card

DanTheManMS
June 4th, 2007, 01:09
Follow the directions I posted for malditx by reading the PHWiki articles on SNEmulDS and DLDI.

tarius90, I apologize for my previous post, as I got confused. Read the edit I added. Make sure you downloaded the latest version first and then replace the old snesDS.bin file with the one from the 11-27-05 download.

bobrowski123
June 4th, 2007, 02:16
i need some step by step instructions on how to get this work on my supercard (one) i tried for like 3 hours trying to get this thing to work so can anyone help me the problem i have is that when i open the program it says cannot find files put roms in /SNES/ folder on ur sd card

DanTheManMS
June 4th, 2007, 03:48
...I linked you to step-by-step instructions. I really can't see how much further it can be broken down.

1. Download the latest version
2. Put snemul.cfg on the root of your card
3. Patch SNEmulDS.nds with the DLDI file for your card. To do this, download and install DLDIrc like the PHwiki article told you to, selecting the Supercard DS option at the end, and then right-click the SNEmulDS.nds file to select the new patching option that appears.
4. Copy the patched SNEmulDS.nds file anywhere on your card.
5. Create a folder called "SNES" on the root of your card.
6. Copy your games into this SNES folder
7. Launch SNEmulDS.nds and choose the game to play.

I'm sorry for being cross, but it's honestly not that hard. If you read the PHwiki articles it should be fairly clear what you need to do.

Perhaps my instructions on the PHwiki were too confusing. What part did you get lost at? I'd like to know which parts I need to revise to make them clearer for new users.

`The0n3
June 15th, 2007, 03:35
Im ready for a new update to this emulator.

handofg0d
June 15th, 2007, 15:48
Thanks for including a pre-patched M3 version. Makes things much easier for us Mac users ;)

Homerun
June 15th, 2007, 15:52
I can't get it too work >_>

DanTheManMS
June 17th, 2007, 22:37
Homerun, "it doesn't work" does not help us at all. What exactly did you do, and what exactly is the problem?

yourmajesty90
July 21st, 2007, 11:45
I can't get it to work.

Do the roms have to have a certain file extension? Mine are all blank (no file extension), just seen as files under windows. Do I need to add a file type to them?

I have several roms in a directory called SNES which is on top level. Then I have the emulator file on top level. I have tried SNEmulDSv04, SNEmulDSv05a2 and SNEmulDSv05b_M3S_R4. The version 05 emulator comes with a config file called snemul.cfg which I have tried putting on top level, and within the SNES directory. But it still does not work.

I'm using an R4, and I have patched the nds files with the DLDI tool.

When I start SNEmulDS, I get the following:

-= SNEmulDS 0.5 by archeide =-
Init OK
0x200ad18Initialize FS..
Please restart if stuck...
FS OK!
rompath = /SNES
No files found.
Please put ROMs in /SNES directory of your CF/SD card

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Put the roms on the root of you card. Or access the .cfg file and modify the path

fast3kgt
August 9th, 2007, 04:19
holy cow! just got this to work on my mmd! yay its finally good for something! thx!

Ctown
August 18th, 2007, 20:19
If I go to http://dldi.drunkencoders.com and get a .dldi for games n' music ( I saw them there) and a windows gui tool will that make this snes emulator work for games n' music.

DanTheManMS
August 18th, 2007, 22:54
Yeah, since this was first posted Chishm has created two DLDI files for the GnM.

Buttertoast45
August 19th, 2007, 03:12
This looks awesome. Finally i can play my favorite snes game on the ds

renecum
August 26th, 2007, 07:54
What does the Save Sram option?..

I'm new with this emu. I thought it saves the progress as a regular cartridge game, but it does not work for me.

I have a R4 and i just downloaded the SNEmulDSv05b_M3S_R4.zip and copy it to my micro Sd card.

bumjeans
August 26th, 2007, 11:20
A lot of games don't on the screen. Why is this?

Runs great speed wise though

DanTheManMS
August 26th, 2007, 18:55
renecum, the Save SRAM button is needed to save your progress in-game. SNEmulDS does not update the *.srm file when you save in-game until you tap that button. So save in-game, tap Save SRAM, and only then power off. You can also enter the rom selection menu or put the DS in sleep mode, both of which will automatically save the SRAM.

mooshx
August 26th, 2007, 21:18
Anyone have any way to make Chrono Trigger run better? How do I get all the text to fit in the text boxes? Because if someone says anything that's three lines long, the third line does not show. Also, small issues with sound, but they're not unbearable. In the beginning Crono's sprite is protruding through the bed. Again, not a big deal, but i'm sure someone has figured out how to clean things up using the settings. Oh, and what's vblank and yscroll? I really don't understand what i'm doing when I go to 'options'.

Otherwise this thing is pretty awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Sorry for the noobness! =)

DanTheManMS
August 27th, 2007, 04:27
To fix the sound, put snemul.cfg on the root of your card. The other graphical glitches are kinda hard to fix. You'll probably want to go to the GFX Config page and tap the "fix" area when things get screwy. Wait Vblank sets a hard limit at 100% speed while No Vblank keeps it unlimited. Some games have different graphical glitches in each mode. Yscroll lets you set the vertical position of the screen, since the SNES screen is taller than that of the DS so any extra data is cropped off.

See http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS for some more in-depth explanations. Also see the compatibility list that page links to for some Chrono Trigger settings to use.

jonlad1
August 28th, 2007, 15:44
does anyone reckon that this emu will be capable of auto config tiles/sprites/screen squish etc, you know, so that we wont need to keep changing the graphic config for every game?

yeah, i admit it, i'm dead lazy!!:thumbup:

Sir_Voe
August 28th, 2007, 16:03
If you have the cfg file in your root, you can save your settings to it with the "save" option in the "gfx config" menu. The settings will be applied automatically when you start the game from then on.

Alex of the Moon
September 3rd, 2007, 15:27
Hey everyone, when i try to run Megaman X 1 2 and 3, the emulator goes realy fast, can i slow it down?

please give me instructions for it :p

Sir_Voe
September 3rd, 2007, 17:28
Set "vblank" to wait to slow things down. Megaman X 2 & 3 don't work on SNEmulDS due to the special in-cartridge chips that aren't emulated.

MrKuenning
September 4th, 2007, 00:29
I would like to see an SNES emu that supports 2 players via wifi. Is that possible? Think about it, street fighter, or 1942, awsome games with 2 player.

evilmario666
September 22nd, 2007, 12:43
kk

Adrianb354
September 30th, 2007, 15:04
this emu is the bomb if i had money i would so donate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nexasblade
October 4th, 2007, 06:21
how do i get wild guns to work or does it not work at all

Adyum
October 6th, 2007, 02:26
Where do you get the SNES games to run on this?

CoinCollector
October 6th, 2007, 04:23
Where do you get the SNES games to run on this?

Sorry, no one can post links to ROMs here. You can just Google it, or maybe someone can PM you a link. But not on the forums.

Mini Moose
October 7th, 2007, 07:43
It's a shame that the Super FX chip will never be supported. But at least I can still play Super Metroid! :D

mr game porter
October 20th, 2007, 13:37
tried on my g6real (this and the newest version.) but i can't se the upper edge and the lower edge of the screen :(. please, does someone know how to fix this?? o would really like to play snes games on my ds!

DanTheManMS
October 22nd, 2007, 02:36
In v0.6 Alpha, check the scaling option.

Billy Dekkers
April 10th, 2008, 16:20
No, I've got 2 games, Secret of Mana, and Lufia. Secret of mana isn't good enough, but at least playable :D. Screen should be more zoomed out, or it's very difficoult vs. bosses. And the battle screen in Lufia (II, Sinistrals) isn't equal to walking screen, so that sucks :(. Futher, great advantage!