PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto Could Have Made Halo

wraggster
May 7th, 2007, 22:29
via ign (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/786/786082p1.html)

Shigeru Miyamoto, the famed Nintendo game designer who was recently picked as one of Time's 100 most-influential people, says he could have made Halo, had he wanted to. In a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, Miyamoto reveals that he is not interested in making the games people want -- he's trying to make the games people don't even know they want, yet.

"I could make Halo," Miyamoto says. "It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play."

Shigeru MiyamotoThe designer also shares his unique approach to market research. Instead of focus groups and demographic analysis, he watches the expression on a gamer's face while his game is being played. "When I show a game to people I don't ask their opinion or give them a survey. I just watch their eyes and their face while they play. Do they smile? Do they look frustrated? So I guess I do test my games -- but it isn't very scientific."

Sometimes his sense of what gamers want to play isn't 100% accurate, as the disappointing sales of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in Japan show. Miyamoto believes the audience for an epic, hardcore adventure game is shrinking, which could mean we can expect more casual games from Nintendo. The designer says Twilight Princess is selling "okay" in the U.S.

Elven6
May 8th, 2007, 00:33
This guy is full of himself isn't he!

Shadowblind
May 8th, 2007, 00:38
Yes, I'd rather say this guy is quite a....well, moron. He "could" have made Halo. No, he couldn't. Unless he thought the EXACT same thoughts that the real creator of Halo did, no, he could not. Oh sure, I could have designed the Great Wall of China. I just CHOSE not to.

As for TP in the US, "ok" is an understatement. Everyone I know with a Wii has two games: Twilight Princess and Wii Sports.

Cap'n 1time
May 8th, 2007, 00:42
I think this is taken WAY out of context. I believe what Supreme Master Miyamoto is implying is that he doesnt want to make some generic game that has been done a thousand times. He wants originality.

Halo, while very cool, is not exactly a new concept where as most the games Miyamoto and the rest of genius designers of Nintendo try to do something new all the time... and generally it works too!

Love or hate nintendo there is NO denying that video games wouldnt be what they are today with out the man. I dont like how this article twists his words.

Yobumtin
May 8th, 2007, 00:46
I don't think he really said that in the best way though. Such a wise man would be expected to take a different approach.

DimensionT
May 8th, 2007, 01:29
I want to see a bloody as hell FPS for the Wii that uses Miis as characters. Online play would be shweet...

Yes, I'd rather say this guy is quite a....well, moron. He "could" have made Halo. No, he couldn't. Unless he thought the EXACT same thoughts that the real creator of Halo did, no, he could not. Oh sure, I could have designed the Great Wall of China. I just CHOSE not to.

This shows a little bit of ignorance, don't you think? Of course he couldn't make Halo pixel for pixel, that's not what he ment... But making a FPS with the same impact on the gaming world as Halo, highly possible.

He'd just rather make something orignal then rehash gameplay that's been done many times over.

Not that Halo's a bad game... But take away the pretty graphics, cool weapons and advanced AI... You'll see that it's all been done before.

Junixx
May 8th, 2007, 01:34
Yeh I agree with a couple of said posts above, he wants originality, not a generic game, Halo is good, not saying anything bad about it.

...On another note, I'm off to play Metroid Prime: Hunters :D

ICE
May 8th, 2007, 01:48
he doesnt mean he could have literally made halo lol. he means that he could make a great FPS but he chooses not to.

DimensionT
May 8th, 2007, 02:16
Nobody's buying into my bloody Mii shooter idea?

Think about it, there could be cute little Mii heads flying everywhere!!! :rofl:

ShinMike
May 8th, 2007, 04:21
cute and cruel haha

kcajblue
May 8th, 2007, 04:30
I think this is taken WAY out of context. I believe what Supreme Master Miyamoto is implying is that he doesnt want to make some generic game that has been done a thousand times. He wants originality.

Halo, while very cool, is not exactly a new concept where as most the games Miyamoto and the rest of genius designers of Nintendo try to do something new all the time... and generally it works too!

Love or hate nintendo there is NO denying that video games wouldnt be what they are today with out the man. I dont like how this article twists his words.exactly.
sorry to sound like a broken record but.
he wants to have originality to his games. he wants them to be unique.
he doesnt want them to be like any other game you can get.

Wii60_FTW
May 8th, 2007, 05:45
Don't tell me he's turning into Krazy Ken..... =[

Veskgar
May 8th, 2007, 20:42
This guy is full of himself isn't he!

That's exactly what I thought as soon as I read that. I have always admired Miyamoto dearly but he seems awfully arrogant if that article was written in proper context.

Now, if he was approached by Microsoft with an offer to design HALO and turned it down, that would be one thing. That would boost anyones ego.

But if he is just using HALO as an example because it is such a great and popular game, he is sure full of himself.

I guess all the money pouring in lately for Nintendo will do that to you though.

Basically, it sounds like every game that is good that wasn't designed by Miyamoto, he could have designed if he wanted right? I just have a fishy feeling the article was taken out of context.

It is true almost anything can be done with enough money and the right talent but this was the wrong impression to give off to people.

Jeromel
May 8th, 2007, 21:02
Ummm... here's probably a question that you didn't think of before having an oppinion:
Does Miyamoto speak english? If not, then there could have been something lost in translation. As far as I know, I've only heard him speak in Japanese.

Accordion
May 8th, 2007, 21:16
unfortunately when you make a game ten times and put 'nintendo' on the box it will be 'original'

as for twilight princess not having great sales...maybe people are realising just how bad it really is.

ICE
May 8th, 2007, 21:19
unfortunately when you make a game ten times and put 'nintendo' on the box it will be 'original'

as for twilight princess not having great sales...maybe people are realising just how bad it really is.

:rofl:bwahahahahaha oh man good one.

Wii60_FTW
May 8th, 2007, 23:15
:rofl:bwahahahahaha oh man good one.

That was pretty damn funny. :rofl:

kcajblue
May 9th, 2007, 01:10
i havent played it yet cause i dont have a wii yet.
but im gonna get it anyway.
i dont really care if you guys think it sucks or not.

crookedmouth
May 9th, 2007, 02:28
I'm no fanboy of nintendo but I do know that Miyamoto is one of the greatest game designers of all time. It's just a fact. Let's not be dumb here and pretend he isn't.I've been playing video games since Pong so I've seen his progression since Donkey Kong.
Plus, if you watch an interview with him, it's clear that he has remained a real person despite being very wealthy and famous and I don't speak Japanese.
If the interview was in the 90's he would have said something like "I could have created another Doom clone.." so on and so forth. So lets stop being stupid here. Someone should just delete this thread.

ShinMike
May 9th, 2007, 09:24
I'm no fanboy of nintendo but I do know that Miyamoto is one of the greatest game designers of all time. It's just a fact. Let's not be dumb here and pretend he isn't.I've been playing video games since Pong so I've seen his progression since Donkey Kong.
Plus, if you watch an interview with him, it's clear that he has remained a real person despite being very wealthy and famous and I don't speak Japanese.
If the interview was in the 90's he would have said something like "I could have created another Doom clone.." so on and so forth. So lets stop being stupid here. Someone should just delete this thread.

agreed, i dont see the awesomeness in halo games, if you compare them to zelda ones, imo.

openboxfilms
September 1st, 2007, 05:55
He doesn't want to make games people want?!! What? I don't see an amazing storyline in mario.

::Xraxa, plz:.
September 1st, 2007, 06:17
Miyamoto = god... deal with it.

fast3kgt
September 1st, 2007, 07:02
i could have painted the mona lisa but i didnt want to

Shadowblind
September 1st, 2007, 14:17
I could have invented gravity. But i didn't want to so, no gravity.

Most arrogant thing someone could say about someone elses work.

"I could have done what you did better then you, but I didn't feel like it. So I'm better then you at your life."

Boy, arrogant little pieces .... really get me steamed...

Mario or not, he has no right to talk like that. Now he may not have meant it the way it sounds. So I'll just wait for a reply, see if theres a misunderstanding...

bah
September 1st, 2007, 15:01
I never got why halo was so popular.....

Perhaps PC gaming has spoiled me so I expect more of FPSers.

Still, you cant argue with success like that, so I certainly agree with Shadowblind that its an incredibly arrogant thing to say.