- improve: cleaned source code
- improve: more fail-proof IP.BIN checks
- improve: detecting 1ST_READ.BIN file name
- improve: file associating
- update: cdi4dc 0.3b
- new: CUE and ISO support
- new: added the uninstaller
- removed: BDS functionality
- probably a few others I'm forgetting (not worth noting)

I didn't add anything special to CUE support so if CDRecord flashes open real quick the path inside the CUE needs to be fixed. I'm also fairly sure MP3s in the CUE won't work because I previously tested if MP3s were decoded internally by CDRecord and they weren't.

CUE (and ISO) burning support is under the same as CDI burning, only it's been renamed to CD Image Burner.

You're probably wondering what fail-proof checks I'm talking about for IP.BINs. After your main binary file name is detected it checks the IP.BIN to make sure they are the same.

The main binary set in the IP.BIN is also read before the fail-proof check. This is the detecting 1ST_READ.BIN file name improvement. The main binary is also automatically detected if there's only one or two files in your selfboot folder (the 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN) (just don't try to selfboot a folder with just a IP.BIN, you'll come up with unexpected results).

Have fun.

http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/?BootDreams

Elven6
May 8th, 2007, 03:18
Very Nice, too bad you can't use already CDIed files and add dummy files to them.

Xiaopang
May 8th, 2007, 13:45
thanks for the new release :) just won't work on my machine. mkisofs crashes due to an error with cygwin1.dll. i replaced both mkisofs and cygwin1.dll with the versions from bootdreams 1.02 to get it to work, but it still shows me an error message in the dos-window before it compiles the iso: "couldn't determine location of thread function on stack. expect signal problems"

Mr_Biggs
May 8th, 2007, 22:42
this looks nice, but i can get it to make a bootable copy of Hexquake. i have the directory all lined up, but it stops at the Sega and bootdreams logo screen. it does this on both my dreamcast and chankcast. anything im doing wrong? all iso options are enabled, and ive tried this in both audio/data and data/data. im producing a .cdi image as output.

fackue
May 8th, 2007, 22:48
thanks for the new release :) just won't work on my machine. mkisofs crashes due to an error with cygwin1.dll.
Do you have cygwin installed? If you do, make sure it is closed. And since I updated cdrecord in this release, using the old versions will not work with this version of BootDreams (because some command line differences (most notably -xa from -xa1)).

V3N0M
May 8th, 2007, 23:00
Nice release! So I'm guessing that BootDreams won’t be able to burn our NeoGeo CD back-ups correctly with the CDDA? It will burn the back-ups but not the Mp3 tracks included with the game right? Guess I got to stick with Nero to be able to burn the CDDA correctly along with the rest of the game..

Xiaopang
May 9th, 2007, 00:20
Do you have cygwin installed? If you do, make sure it is closed. And since I updated cdrecord in this release, using the old versions will not work with this version of BootDreams (because some command line differences (most notably -xa from -xa1)).

yep, i have it installed and i didn't open it prior to starting bootdreams. thats why i thought replacing cygwin might help, but neither did the new mkisof work with the old cygwin, nor did the old mkisof with the new cygwin. after replacing both versions with the old ones bootdreams created an image, but i didn't test it yet. the error i mentioned in the last post comes from cdrecord. do you have any idea what the problem could be?

also, is it normal that bootdreams doesn't binhack the 1st_read.bin? i always had to do that manually before building the images to get them to work.

fackue
May 9th, 2007, 02:22
Nice release! So I'm guessing that BootDreams won’t be able to burn our NeoGeo CD back-ups correctly with the CDDA? It will burn the back-ups but not the Mp3 tracks included with the game right? Guess I got to stick with Nero to be able to burn the CDDA correctly along with the rest of the game..
BootDreams will burn them but you'll most likely hear static as CDDA. It's highly unlikely but you may want to try it because I didn't test any CUE sheet that defines MP3s inside.

fackue
May 9th, 2007, 03:10
this looks nice, but i can get it to make a bootable copy of Hexquake. i have the directory all lined up, but it stops at the Sega and bootdreams logo screen. it does this on both my dreamcast and chankcast. anything im doing wrong? all iso options are enabled, and ive tried this in both audio/data and data/data. im producing a .cdi image as output.
You must be trying to scramble the binary. In most cases for Katana and WinCE binaries, this is unnecessary (it will actually break the game). The only reason why BootDreams allows you to scramble [Katana and WinCE] binaries is because of how binhack (from ECHELON) will add scrambling code to the IP.BIN. If you don't use their IP.BIN then the binary need to be scrambled manually rather than automatically scrambled by the IP.BIN.

fackue
May 9th, 2007, 03:13
thanks for the new release :) just won't work on my machine. mkisofs crashes due to an error with cygwin1.dll.
Can you post a screenshot of the error? I don't have any problems with mkisofs crashing on my computer (except only if cygwin is open in which case everything that uses cygwin1.dll does not work).

after replacing both versions with the old ones bootdreams created an image, but i didn't test it yet.
Yes, the image will work but anything related to burning with cdrecord won't.

also, is it normal that bootdreams doesn't binhack the 1st_read.bin? i always had to do that manually before building the images to get them to work.
Ya, I never implemented binhacking of any sort to BootDreams.

EDIT: Xiaopang: does this (http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/personal/BootDreams1.7z) update fix your problem?

Xiaopang
May 9th, 2007, 08:20
Can you post a screenshot of the error? I don't have any problems with mkisofs crashing on my computer (except only if cygwin is open in which case everything that uses cygwin1.dll does not work).

sure. the update also produced the crash. thanks for load of extra work you're going through for this :)

btw, after reading some posts about building neogeo-discs, is it possible to build multi-cdda dc-discs which are selfbooting with bootdreams?

fackue
May 9th, 2007, 10:58
btw, after reading some posts about building neogeo-discs, is it possible to build multi-cdda dc-discs which are selfbooting with bootdreams?
Not right now. Cdi4dc doesn't support CDDA.

Mr_Biggs
May 9th, 2007, 19:47
thanks fackue, keeping the 1st_read unscrambled got hexquake and nxDoom to boot. very handy utility, makes burning discs a hell of a lot faster and more efficient.

V3N0M
May 10th, 2007, 05:09
...very handy utility, makes burning discs a hell of a lot faster and more efficient.

Yes it does! :thumbup: Thank you fackue for taking the time to answer all of our questions. :cool: I look forward to seeing this utility grow. Thanx for everything.