PDA

View Full Version : PSP-290 GPS on TA-082 - Need Help

tkj
May 8th, 2007, 15:30
I have just got my a psp-290 gps, but when i connected it to my psp and started Mapthis and clicked square, nothing happend! I have a TA-082 3.03OE-C psp, that before was a 2.71, the i used idstoragechange and the downgradet to 1.5, then i updated to 3.03OE-C. And i have also tried USBHOSTFS Fix, but that does'nt helped. I really hope you can help me, because i have bought it and i really want it to work.

Thomas Jespersen
[email protected]

pkunk
May 9th, 2007, 00:37
Press Start and go into GPS Info and see if you are detecting any satellites. Indoors or in bad weather you may not be getting a fix, so it will appear to be doing nothing.

tkj
May 9th, 2007, 09:57
I have tried the test software for the psp-290, and i suddenly saw a text string with satelite info in, but a half minute later was it gone. But i have only red bricks or squares in Mapthis.
And what is a "FIX"?

pkunk
May 9th, 2007, 22:43
A fix means that the GPS has successfully triangulated it's location in 3D space by ascertaining the distance it is from at least 3 different satellites.

Essentially to get a fix you need to have clear reception of the signal being put out by 3 different satellites.

If you are only getting one 'line' of info in the GPS Info screen, that means you are only seeing one GPS Satellite, and if it drops off or goes away, that means you are not getting good reception at all. One satellite will never get you a fix.

Try changing to 111Mhz in the GPS Info screen by pressing Down Arrow twice.

Try going outside on a clear day and on top of a hill.

A clear view of the horizon is critical to good reception.

tkj
May 10th, 2007, 11:55
Thanks. And another question, if it then find a satelite and get a fix, will the fix be on the GPS until you close the program? And do you then need to wait a long time to get a fix when you start it again?

pkunk
May 10th, 2007, 22:47
You will retain the fix for as long as the reception remains good. Once it has it fix, it can recover quickly from short term loss of reception. However, if you turn off the PSP, then yes, you essentially need to start again. GPS units are supposed to be quicker to fix the next time you turn them on, as it remembers it's approximate location, but I'm not sure that this works properly with MapThis and PSP-290.

Essentially, if you have reasonable reception and CPU is set to 111Mhz you should get a fix within 2 - 5 minutes max from a cold boot.

tkj
May 11th, 2007, 11:24
Many thanks. You have helped me a step further. Because, now in the program in the satelite list can i see 4 satelites normally, but it would not show an fix up where it says: "Fixed". And it would never put the arrow in the position where i am! Why would it never make a fix, and i am having 4 satelites in view?

pkunk
May 13th, 2007, 00:42
OK, It will not say 'fixed', but what you will see is that the last column in the rows of satellites will change from a 0 to a 1 when it is fixed on a satellite. Subsequently the signal strength indicator in the lower right hand corner on the normal map view screen (in GPS mode) will turn green and show at least one bar.

If the last digits on the satellite rows in the GPS Info screen remain zero, then you probably have enough reception to pick up the satellites but there is some interference which is making it hard for the unit to get a fix.

Try altering the position of the PSP-290's antenna.

Try (in GPS Info screen) pressing Left Arrow to change Loc to 0 (or press Right Arrow to change it to 1 or 2 if 0 does not work).

I had trouble with getting my first fix, but after that it seems better.

Try driving or walking around a bit in a clear area, and gather a few satellites, then stop and wait 5 - 10 mins.

Try different .prx files. I use the ones that came with the Green Screen program.

Try not to move too much when trying to get a fix.

Try to make sure you are not around any electrical appliances which could be emitting interference.

Most important, make sure the CPU is set to 111Mhz.