PDA

View Full Version : I would like to test something, but I don't have access to a/ny DS/dev kits

hacker1
May 8th, 2007, 21:31
My DS is not working and I don't currently have access to any DS homebrew tools, but I have something I want to try, it requires Game Maker, a game making piece of software, hopefully, this should make DS homebrew (somewhat) easier to make, would it be a problem if someone would help me test my idea? If not, could someone at least tell me what the best way to go?

DanTheManMS
May 8th, 2007, 23:38
Before you ask, it's not possible to play Game Maker games on the DS. Period. Game Maker is not open source, the games it creates are not open source, and everything is designed for an x86 processor architecture running a Windows operating system, none of which the DS has.

A user once attempted a GM6<->DS converter program, but he was stopped by Mark Overmars before getting too far.

Sorry. I agree that it would be nice to just be able to use Game Maker to create games for the DS, but it simply isn't possible.

hacker1
May 9th, 2007, 01:59
Crap! Well I learned the hard way that just saving files as "file.filetype" will just end up being "file.filetype.actual filetype" :( Anyways, why did Mark Overmars stop that user from making the converter?

DanTheManMS
May 9th, 2007, 03:21
In Windows Explorer, if you go to Tools - Folder Options - View tab, and uncheck the 'hide extensions for known filetypes' checkbox, you'll see the extensions for all files regardless of whether Windows knows what to do with it or not. You'll then see that you can easily rename a *.exe file or a *.gmd file to *.nds, but it won't do anything obviously, since renaming a file doesn't change anything about the way it runs.

Not sure why he stopped the other guy.

hacker1
May 9th, 2007, 07:44
Well whatever, I thought I managed to change a filetype by putting the filetype prefix(?) after the name of file (I might be thinking of the HTML-notepad thing :V).