PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Ghosts the "biggest overhaul" of multiplayer since MW1

wraggster
August 15th, 2013, 12:49
After I ask Infinity Ward executive producer what it is about Call of Duty: Ghosts, exactly, that is innovative, he makes a "hmm" sound and thinks for a while.I can tell he's toiling over his answer - not that he can't think of anything that's innovative about Ghosts, the next game in Activision's gargantuan first-person shooter series, but because he finds the term somewhat problematic."That's always a tough one," Rubin tells me, bleary-eyed and exhausted after hours of back-to-back interviews at yesterday's Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer reveal event in LA, "because we have to innovate within our realm. Other games innovate within their realm. Other games games have added stuff that we've had in our game for years, and they'll add it to their game. And we'll do the same. So innovation becomes a weird word when you say it that way."I was toiling with the idea of what some gamers might think about it, which is, show me something I've never seen before. Anywhere."The reaction to Ghosts' multiplayer reveal, from what I've seen, has been mixed. The impressed point to the new Squads system and its associated game modes with pleasant surprise, and nod in excitement at the prospect of dynamic maps with their traps and destruction. The unconvinced suggest Squads mode is nothing more than a noob-friendly experience and, therefore, not worthy of further investigation, and believe the dynamic maps idea is too little too late, particularly now Battlefield 4's "Levolution" appears to be doing mid-match mayhem on a much grander scale.Whatever your reaction, most agree that Call of Duty: Ghosts' multiplayer looks a lot like the multiplayer in past Call of Duty games, even with the addition of mid-match map-destroying orbital strikes and collapsing gas stations. Having played Ghosts extensively yesterday, I can say it feels a lot like the multiplayer in past Call of Duty games, too.But is there more to Ghosts than meets the eye? Rubin casts his mind back before continuing. "If you remember, when Modern Warfare came out, one of the big, innovative changes, if you want to call it innovative, to Call of Duty was adding a progression level and adding perks. The word perks, which is used in a bunch of games now, came from Modern Warfare."We look at Modern Warfare as one of the biggest changes to Call of Duty ever. And what we've done with this game is go back and tear apart every system and rebuild it in a way we feel compliments our philosophy for this game."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-15-call-of-duty-ghosts-the-biggest-overhaul-of-multiplayer-since-mw1