PDA

View Full Version : C or LUA

Nicknicklive
May 8th, 2007, 23:49
i've recently decided to teach myself a programming language, and the 2 that everyone seems to use are C and LUA. I figure C is harder to learn, but has way more versatility, while LUA is easier to learn, but has limitations.

any thoughts on which would be better to learn?

o_0 or maybe BOTH?

gdf
May 8th, 2007, 23:55
C++ actually. i am a total programming noob and have started to learn. it is easier to do this than learn lua then make the jump to c or c++ because you could get confused. get the C++ For Dummies book from the library, it has a compiler and everythging on a disc along with some snippets of code and extra crap! ;)

yaustar
May 9th, 2007, 00:26
Lua. C and C++ has too many language specific details that make it really hard for beginners to work out certain bugs that don't make any logical sense from a high level perspective. No seasoned C or C++ programmer would ever recommend it for a complete beginner to learn.

Honestly, if you really really serious about learning to program, then you forget anything developing on the PSP until you are more experienced.

Python is a very nice language to learn in that respect. Nice high level, full featured language that has a good learning curve.

The trick is learning to program rather then just learning the language to solve specific problems.

skater9269
May 9th, 2007, 01:10
C++ for the win download Dev C++ ad bloodshed.net its an IDE(integrated developing environment) LUA is scripted and requires and interpreter to run although I recommend you become fluent on the pc before moving on to other platforms as yauster has said.

splodger15
May 9th, 2007, 18:58
listen to yaustar. Hes gave you advice on what to start on

Nicknicklive
May 9th, 2007, 21:09
well thanks for the responses everyone, i've decided to start on LUA untill i've got a good hand on programming.
one thing though, can LUA make a 3-d game that has 2-d character sprites (like ragnarok online, if you've ever played it)?

yaustar
May 10th, 2007, 11:53
Yes.

Nicknicklive
May 11th, 2007, 04:32
well im sold, and already learning a lot about LUA at the moment.

thanks for your help everyone :D